Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to study medicine, repeat the leaving at 22 or mature entry?

• 27-05-2019 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I want to study medicine.

I'm 22 I sat the Leaving cert 3 or so years ago and I came out with 425 points, fair for the effort I put in.

I tried a business degree wasted 2 years of fees and still had/have the same notion that I had at any other age - I want to be a doctor.

I'm looking at repeating the Leaving Cert, mature entry or going abroad..
    Money is and will be tight for the foreseeable future.
    In reality I need to get into NUI Galway so I can commute.

Would I be better off going back to my old school?
    Should I go to the likes of Yeats and just bite the bullet on fees (even though money is not on my side).

Should I try/hope for mature entry?
    Work as a health care assistant until I'm eligible?

Frankly I feel like I've made a lot of stupid mistakes in succession.

From ruling out medicine from the offset.
    To going into a degree I had/have no interest in, and wasting two years..
    And then waiting until the age of 22 to even consider repeating.
    Or how I now won't be eligible for any free until 5 years down the line..

What are my options?
    What student fees exist or is it more along the lines of my parents remortgaging their home? - which I am not up for.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

MrMiata wrote: »
    I want to study medicine.

I'm 22 I sat the Leaving cert 3 or so years ago and I came out with 425 points, fair for the effort I put in.

I tried a business degree wasted 2 years of fees and still had/have the same notion that I had at any other age - I want to be a doctor.

I'm looking at repeating the Leaving Cert, mature entry or going abroad..
    Money is and will be tight for the foreseeable future.
    In reality I need to get into NUI Galway so I can commute.

Would I be better off going back to my old school?
    Should I go to the likes of Yeats and just bite the bullet on fees (even though money is not on my side).

Should I try/hope for mature entry?
    Work as a health care assistant until I'm eligible?

Frankly I feel like I've made a lot of stupid mistakes in succession.

From ruling out medicine from the offset.
    To going into a degree I had/have no interest in, and wasting two years..
    And then waiting until the age of 22 to even consider repeating.
    Or how I now won't be eligible for any free until 5 years down the line..

What are my options?
    What student fees exist or is it more along the lines of my parents remortgaging their home? - which I am not up for.

Mature student here. I cannot answer all your questions.
    I was back at VTOS and I had an amazing year. You cannot apply back to your old school because I asked and told to got to VTOS (Old VEC) and was horrified. I didnt have money either for Yeats. You have to be 23 to enter VTOS as a mature student.

Its hard to explain but you have to come up really fast, really quickly. Certain "elements"(people of a history of messing in class/havent a clue what they are doing) who should not be in the educational system tend to drop out quickly. My problem is there are only 8 months to come to the levels you need that may not be practical for you.

You need to be talking to your local VTOS and Citizens information.

Advertisement