Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 French Open

Comments

Missing BPs this set quite a bit could bite him

true - he has been wasteful - pretty much racing through his own service games tho in this set so far

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Dirkziggler

glasso wrote: »
    true - he has been wasteful - pretty much racing through his own service games tho in this set so far

He needs to move wawrinka. He has had 2 MTOs he's clearly not fit. Move him and snipe the points

Wawrinka still has a fearsome forehand that works very well on clay.

just noticed that Tsitsipas has a weird freaky look on his face when receiving serve! coupled with the way that he is jiggling his legs around it looks well dodgy.

Another BP gone begging at 5 5, 2 of them gone this game

Wawrinka still has a fearsome forehand that works very well on clay.

just noticed that Tsitsipas has a weird freaky look on his face when receiving serve! coupled with the way that he is jiggling his legs around it looks well dodgy.

Now you see why he's considered a bottler 3 BPs missed this game all on 2nd serves.

• Advertisement

Now you see why he's considered a bottler 3 BPs missed this game all on 2nd serves.

Wawrinka saved the points in this game with his play.

Wawrinka saved the points in this game with his play.

What? It was 2 UE.

a marginal out going for the winner (like 1 cm out) and a dive at the net on a passing shot - not really UE

a marginal out going for the winner (like 1 cm out) and a dive at the net on a passing shot - not really UE

Mate an out is a an UE.

he shouldn't have left that one lol!

should have won that match really.

• Advertisement

he shouldn't have left that one lol!

should have won that match really.

Mate he's a bottler, he is where he is cause of large scale injuries over the past 2 years with top 10s, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic, Nadal, Nole, Delpo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

So a 37 year old, 34 year old and 33 year old are the first 3 quarter finalists with a 29/30 year old set to join them later

Future of men's tennis looking bright at present!!

Mate he's a bottler, he is where he is cause of large scale injuries over the past 2 years with top 10s, Murray, Wawrinka, Raonic, Nadal, Nole, Delpo

he will be good. I think that it's a little unfair to call him a serial bottler at this age.

at 20 he deserves an allowance of a little more time to get the killer instinct honed.

I have more faith in him that Zverev (who I previously thought might have had it but is looking more like another Dimitrov)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

This Paire v Nishikori match is wild!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Rob2D wrote: »
    This Paire v Nishikori match is wild!

It's enjoyable.

Paire is losing the head now after being broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Paire is a fruit cake.

Paire is actually toxic. He's like a more mature kyrgios. It's pure horror scene stuff.

Siniakova keys will be a cracker today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

Would be fair to say i think that Kenin was herself fairly feisty in her general demeanour through the match, to the point she had the crowd on her back for a fair part of it. And fair play to her, determined not to be intimidated where countless others have been.

Would disagree to be honest. I think she amped herself up after hitting winners etc, but don't think she did anything beyond that. Pretty normal stuff.
    Only thing that was a bit odd really was hitting the net when she realised the serve was out, and hit a double fault rather than ace, on set point. That was the reason the crowd got on her back. Because, the French crowd are known to pounce on anything, from literally anyone. I think Nadal is the only one who may escape it.
    If I was Thiem I'd refuse to have any dealings with the press at Roland Garros for the rest of the tournament.

He can go on twitter and give his thoughts on things there so he doesn't need the mainstream media anymore to connect with fans.

Unless things have changed, as far as I know, players are obligated to do post-match press. Or they face serious fines, like 20k. But agree with your sentiment. And honestly, he could probably afford it in his position to make a stand.
    Rob2D wrote: »
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/01/hell-dominic-thiem-fumes-kicked-press-conference-serena-williams-9773500/

Wow, Serena got Thiem kicked out of his own press conference. I'm so sick of this b**ch I can't even.

Following from the point above, just watched a clip of him saying he is annoyed about the principle of it. In the heat of the moment, he said he's not some junior who can be pushed around. In the clip he corrected himself saying he was wrong to put it that way cause even a junior shouldn't be treated that way. Followed up with saying he's certain Nadal or Federer wouldn't have done this.
    Annabel croft and Pat Cash also backing up most things said in his favour. Croft nailing it really, saying he deserves an apology for it, and that there would have been absolute uproar if the roles were reversed.
    Hopefully it doesn't distract the rest of the tournament for him as he's played very well here the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

Struff has started well.

• Advertisement

Death taxes and nishikori in a 5th set at a slam

There was one time he had a crazy good record in 5th sets, no idea if it's still the case

Rafa laughing all the way to the semis here

I can't remember djoker being so good at RG as he is currently.

I can't remember djoker being so good at RG as he is currently.

Easy to forget how average he was this time last year

Some turnaround for him and looks odds on for a second golden/career slam or whatever they call it

jr86 wrote: »
    Easy to forget how average he was this time last year

Some turnaround for him and looks odds on for a second golden/career slam or whatever they call it

Yes for sure he's literally dusting everyone so far. If he becomes an aggressor against Nadal I see him win this

Monfils acting the dick here doing drop shots nearly every shot. Deserved he lost that game

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Floppybits wrote: »
    Monfils acting the dick here doing drop shots nearly every shot. Deserved he lost that game

Aye. That kind of thing does him no favours.

mzungu wrote: »
    Aye. That kind of thing does him no favours.

There seems to be some mental weakness among the french players. They always get just so far and then have some sort of mental block that stops them going forward.

Del Potro in a spot of bother here.

Shame to see Del Potro gone but Khachanov played really well and deserved the win.

• Advertisement

mzungu wrote: »
    Shame to see Del Potro gone but Khachanov played really well and deserved the win.

It is a shame to see Del Potro go out. But with his injuries he always going to struggle in slams. I was actually surprised he didn't withdraw after the 5 setter nishioka.

Advertisement