Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DCM 2019 - Mentored Novices Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Hi All,

I will jump in also even though I have not got an entry yet, hopefully will get one when they release more entries in July

•Have you raced before?
    Geneva Half Marathon 2:01
    10k 55mins

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - 3 runs a week. 5k twice during week and 8-10km on weekend.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Realistic Time - Under 4.5 hours
    - Dream Time - Under 4 hours

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - Planning Running 4/5 times weekly
    - I was training for the Valencia marathon last year when my wife gave birth half way through the training, which ended that! But I had a custom plan from the RunSmart project which I could use again but I am open to others.

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    - Getting injured or another excuse getting in the way, I was planning to do Valencia with another friend and let them down by pulling out.
    - My current weight is not good in terms of getting round the course in the times I want, so i need to resist temptation and stick to a very good diet and get the proper nutrition, hopefully dropping 15kgs before start day (currently 103kg).

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I have always wanted to do one, have spoken about it many times and entered but did not make the start line, this time it is going to be different.

I live in Switzerland, so all my training will be done there, so through the summer it is going to be very hot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Best of luck to the 2019 Novices!

Keep in mind: it will be harder to get to the startline, than it will be to get to the finish. Train conservatively and set realistic goals. Luckily you have your mentors here to keep you honest! Good luck to Mr Guappa and team!

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I’m in! Looking forward to this. I’ve been a sunshine runner for the last ten years. Started in May and finished in September. I usually aimed to do a half marathon in August and just tapered off after that when the kids went back to school and the evenings got dark (as I live and run in the countryside). I kept up the running after last summer am raring to go!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 23:55 Streets of Kilkenny 5K April 19
    8K 38:05 Kilkenny Race Series May 19
    10K 52:19 Johnswell 10K June 17
    10 Mile 1hr 24 Mallow AC 10 Mile March 19
    Half Marathon 1hr 53 Waterford Half Marathon December 18

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently 3 days a week. 5-8 miles each time. Will step up to 5 days a week very soon as the evenings get brighter.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream is 3:59:59. Hopefully under 4:30. Not too fussed to be honest once I can keep going and finish it.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    5 days a week is doable. I think I'll do Hal Higdon's Novice 2 programme.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury

Why are you running this marathon?
    I always said I’d like to do a marathon before I'm 30. I'm 40 in November! Better late than never. Dublin is supposed to be a great experience so here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭py

With the training plans taking in the Dublin Race Series, if anyone comes across a discount code you please let me know. €55 for all 3 is not much tbh but any saving would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Rega wrote: »
    I always said I’d like to do a marathon before I'm 30. I'm 40 in November! Better late than never. Dublin is supposed to be a great experience so here we go.

NEVER too late. I was 45 when I ran my first marathon last year and have no intention of stopping any time soon (running, that is......not last year's marathon) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

kilns wrote: »
    Hi All,

I will jump in also even though I have not got an entry yet, hopefully will get one when they release more entries in July

•Have you raced before?
    Geneva Half Marathon 2:01
    10k 55mins

•Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training?
    - No

•How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    - 3 runs a week. 5k twice during week and 8-10km on weekend.

•What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    - Realistic Time - Under 4.5 hours
    - Dream Time - Under 4 hours

•How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    - Planning Running 4/5 times weekly
    - I was training for the Valencia marathon last year when my wife gave birth half way through the training, which ended that! But I had a custom plan from the RunSmart project which I could use again but I am open to others.

•What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    - Getting injured or another excuse getting in the way, I was planning to do Valencia with another friend and let them down by pulling out.
    - My current weight is not good in terms of getting round the course in the times I want, so i need to resist temptation and stick to a very good diet and get the proper nutrition, hopefully dropping 15kgs before start day (currently 103kg).

•Why are you running this marathon?
    I have always wanted to do one, have spoken about it many times and entered but did not make the start line, this time it is going to be different.

I live in Switzerland, so all my training will be done there, so through the summer it is going to be very hot

Hi kilns, thanks for joining! Firstly, I hope you get a spot come July :) If not, maybe you could look at other marathons in Ireland around that time; I know Clonakilty is about a month later, although hillier.. but lets hope it doesn't come to that!

When did you run that HM time? Good to see you're willing to increase the running days to 4 or 5, that will be really good.

I think you're being a little harsh on yourself saying a new baby was an "excuse" to pull out of the Valencia marathon :) that's a good reason for running to take the backseat. Life can get in the way of our hobbies sometimes, and that's ok.

There seem to be a few who are going to tackle diet over the coming months, so I think this forum will provide a good support network for you all.

Are you in a hilly part of Switzerland?! With the warm weather training and a few hills, you could find Dublin in October a nicer experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Hi kilns, thanks for joining! Firstly, I hope you get a spot come July :) If not, maybe you could look at other marathons in Ireland around that time; I know Clonakilty is about a month later, although hillier.. but lets hope it doesn't come to that!

When did you run that HM time? Good to see you're willing to increase the running days to 4 or 5, that will be really good.

I think you're being a little harsh on yourself saying a new baby was an "excuse" to pull out of the Valencia marathon :) that's a good reason for running to take the backseat. Life can get in the way of our hobbies sometimes, and that's ok.

There seem to be a few who are going to tackle diet over the coming months, so I think this forum will provide a good support network for you all.

Are you in a hilly part of Switzerland?! With the warm weather training and a few hills, you could find Dublin in October a nicer experience!

If I dont get the entry I think I will either look at Frankfurt which I could drive to or Valencia again (which I have heard is a fantastic race)

The HM time was exactly this time last year as the Geneva HM is this weekend coming. I did train well for that a stuck to a plan but never sorted the diet so I know I could have gone alot quicker with a few kilos less!

I am not exactly in the mountains but there is always a mountain around the corner here so plenty of hills to run up!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Hi All,

Looking forward to this.
    First marathon and touching on 40.
    Will put up details later.
    Best of luck everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 theresaa

Hi
    Thanks for starting this thread. This is my first marathon attempt so hoping my sciatica wont block me from doing this. I appreciate all the support I can get.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Wombled wrote: »
    Thanks Mr Guappa, a few hiccups lately so not as much miles as I hoped for, probably only around 12 miles at the moment. 20 miles back in March. Had a foot issue not a running related injury buts its getting better now.

That's fine Wombled. Make sure that foot is right first then work on gradually getting that weekly mileage back up towards 20 in time for the start of the plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭clickhere

Hi Mr Guappa,Huzzah and ReeReeG. I would love to sign up with the 2019 Novices team. i have been previously involved with the novices for the 2014 marathon. I will be forever grateful to the great Ososlo who was our mentor and managed to get me over the finishing line. Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 2014 Marathon 04:16:12 2016 R/R Half Marathon 01:50:24 2019 Night run 00:49:55 Park Run 5k 23; 26. Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I run 3 or 4 times a week ,always do at least 10k . The long run i do would be between 14 and 18k. i dont do any other kind of training. I would like some advice on the proper pace to be doing on my training runs. What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would just love to do another marathon and if i improve my time it would be a bonus. How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I would say 4 days training and probably go with the novices plan , but Im willing to take all your advice on board What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Like most i would say getting injured and as i am 58 years of age i do have a lot more aches and creaks then most. Maybe its a magican im looking for and not a mentor. Why are you running this marathon? I loved 2014, and since i have always went out and supported the marathon. This year i want to get back on the stage for one last hurrah.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 5km 24mins..june 2017 10km 55mins Oct 2017
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 3 x 5km and 1 SLR
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing 5hrs or less time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    How many days a week can you train? 4 max kids work wife! And what plan do you intend to follow? Higdon
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Previous knee ops
    Why are you running this marathon? Personal goal to prove to myself I can do it

Rega wrote: »
    I’m in! Looking forward to this. I’ve been a sunshine runner for the last ten years. Started in May and finished in September. I usually aimed to do a half marathon in August and just tapered off after that when the kids went back to school and the evenings got dark (as I live and run in the countryside). I kept up the running after last summer am raring to go!

Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!)
    5k 23:55 Streets of Kilkenny 5K April 19
    8K 38:05 Kilkenny Race Series May 19
    10K 52:19 Johnswell 10K June 17
    10 Mile 1hr 24 Mallow AC 10 Mile March 19
    Half Marathon 1hr 53 Waterford Half Marathon December 18

Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do)
    No

How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level.
    Currently 3 days a week. 5-8 miles each time. Will step up to 5 days a week very soon as the evenings get brighter.

What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    Dream is 3:59:59. Hopefully under 4:30. Not too fussed to be honest once I can keep going and finish it.

How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow?
    5 days a week is doable. I think I'll do Hal Higdon's Novice 2 programme.

What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up?
    Injury

Why are you running this marathon?

Welcome Rega, as coogy mentioned, it's never too late!

Do you have any 10km race planned soon? You'll knock a sizable chunk off that PB if you do.

Take a look at the boards plan too. It's not too dissimilar to the HHN2 plan you mention, a slight step up alright but you'd be well able for it.

Also, I wouldn't jump straight from 3 days per week to 5 days per week. Spend a couple of weeks running 4 days per week first, and keep the paces nice and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

In terms of nutrition, my diet is quite good, but I wonder are there certain things I should be eating before/after a speed session or before/after a long run to get the maximum benefit? Or is it a case of so long as you are eating right and sufficiently, you will be fine?

More carbs before a run and more protein after run? Does getting this specific into the timings even matter?

If I'm getting ahead of myself apologies

theresaa wrote: »
    Hi
    Thanks for starting this thread. This is my first marathon attempt so hoping my sciatica wont block me from doing this. I appreciate all the support I can get.
    Cheers

Hi theresaa - there will be plenty support on offer around here, don't worry about that! Take a look at the questions in the first post of this thread and we'll take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    In terms of nutrition, my diet is quite good, but I wonder are there certain things I should be eating before/after a speed session or before/after a long run to get the maximum benefit? Or is it a case of so long as you are eating right and sufficiently, you will be fine?

More carbs before a run and more protein after run? Does getting this specific into the timings even matter?

500 ml of mooju milk within 30 mins of finishing a long run, pure gold! I wouldn't do anything out of the ordinary for sessions but make sure it's at least 2 hours since you have eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Welcome Rega, as coogy mentioned, it's never too late!

Do you have any 10km race planned soon? You'll knock a sizable chunk off that PB if you do.

Take a look at the boards plan too. It's not too dissimilar to the HHN2 plan you mention, a slight step up alright but you'd be well able for it.

Also, I wouldn't jump straight from 3 days per week to 5 days per week. Spend a couple of weeks running 4 days per week first, and keep the paces nice and easy.

Cheers for the advice. I'm hoping to do the Stoneyford 10k next week so we'll see how that goes.

clickhere wrote: »
    Hi Mr Guappa,Huzzah and ReeReeG. I would love to sign up with the 2019 Novices team. i have been previously involved with the novices for the 2014 marathon. I will be forever grateful to the great Ososlo who was our mentor and managed to get me over the finishing line. Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 2014 Marathon 04:16:12 2016 R/R Half Marathon 01:50:24 2019 Night run 00:49:55 Park Run 5k 23; 26. Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? No How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. I run 3 or 4 times a week ,always do at least 10k . The long run i do would be between 14 and 18k. i dont do any other kind of training. I would like some advice on the proper pace to be doing on my training runs. What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time? I would just love to do another marathon and if i improve my time it would be a bonus. How many days a week can you train? And what plan do you intend to follow? I would say 4 days training and probably go with the novices plan , but Im willing to take all your advice on board What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Like most i would say getting injured and as i am 58 years of age i do have a lot more aches and creaks then most. Maybe its a magican im looking for and not a mentor. Why are you running this marathon? I loved 2014, and since i have always went out and supported the marathon. This year i want to get back on the stage for one last hurrah.

Hi clickhere... you're very welcome to the 2019 edition of the thread!

That's a great base you've built up there. Based on those figures you should take a look at the boards plan I reckon.

As for training paces - both plans here are based on the McMillan calculator. You need to input a recent race time and then check the Training paces tab where it will give you suggested paces for recovery, easy and long runs. I'd advise to work at the very slower end of those ranges.

Soulsun wrote: »
    Have you raced before? If so what are your PBs? (Date and distance please!) 5km 24mins..june 2017 10km 55mins Oct 2017
    Do you still need to take walk breaks in your training? (No problem if you do) No
    How much training do you currently do ? Distances, how many days a week, cross training - whatever you think is relevant to your current fitness level. 3 x 5km and 1 SLR
    What do you want to achieve? Dream finishing 5hrs or less time and realistic finishing time? Or just complete it in no specified time?
    How many days a week can you train? 4 max kids work wife! And what plan do you intend to follow? Higdon
    What is your biggest worry/fear/doubt (if you have any!) in signing up? Previous knee ops
    Why are you running this marathon? Personal goal to prove to myself I can do it

Welcome Soulsun!

With that weekly routine you are well set for the beginning of marathon training. Do you have a recent race result? If not, maybe try a parkrun over the next couple of weekends, to give you an idea of where you stand currently, and what paces you should be training at.

In the meantime, keep the paces nice and easy - this will also help with your injury concerns.

Bananaleaf wrote: »

No need to apologise - I love your enthusiasm!

A high protein snack after a run will aid muscle recovery. Similar to skyblue46, chocolate milk is a personal favourite of mine, although I've recently learned that not everyone is a fan :eek:

Eggs, chicken, turkey or fish or greek yoghurt are other popular sources of protein.

You're also correct to say that carbs before a run help to provide the energy you need. I like some pasta the night before a long run, and maybe a bagel an hour or two before the run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Whether you do runs first thing in the morning empty of have breakfast or run in the evenings you will deplete your glycogen store during your run.

No biggie if you run is under 90mins as long as you eat something decent within 30 mins of your run. Can't go wrong with a banana

Getting a little more specific

if you have done a harder interval session its primarily protein to aim for.

Scramble 2 eggs with cream cheese takes 3 minutes
    A handful of nuts crushed into a pestle and mortar and added to greek yoghurt and honey takes 3 minutes
    Avocado and a poached egg takes 3 minutes
    A nutri bullet is your friend here for quick yoghurty shakes

If it was a long run you probably depleted your glycogen further and need carbs. It will help your body store more carbs in future helping you to go al little longer or fast for same effort

Within 30 minutes
    Bagel with peanut butter or banana
    Overnight Oats (having these on standby in your fridge is great for super quick a carby kcals)

The key thing here is, don't drink some water, shower, dress, do stuff around the house, manage the kids etc. and wait for your dinner later. The optimal window to replenish the body after a run is the first 30 minutes. If nothing else it will speed up your recovery to run again the next day!

Also eating something decent within 30 minutes will mitigate the risk of you eating crap because you were not organized

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Any suggestions for eating during the LSR?
    Gels can help a bit on the longer runs but is there any 'energy bar' type things that people find useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

frash wrote: »
    Gels can help a bit on the longer runs but is there any 'energy bar' type things that people find useful?

I used to carry those small bags of star mix jellies for longer runs if I wasn’t using gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭pd79

pd79 wrote: »
    Found it thank you

I'm going to do hal higeon novice 1, up to then i'm going to do two midweek 5/6k's and lsr of 10-14k??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

pd79 wrote: »
    I'm going to do hal higeon novice 1, up to then i'm going to do two midweek 5/6k's and lsr of 10-14k??

So, you're currently doing one midweek run of 5-10k and a weekend parkrun of 5?

The first week of HH1 is three by 5k plus a 10k. I think I would personally keep the LR at 10k for now and get used to having a third day of running before increasing again. It might also be worth introducing the third day incrementally, so maybe start with 3k and add to it each week. Then we can see about adding the fourth day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

frash wrote: »

Be careful with the gels or if you use a good few run in a scenic area as have gotten caught out a few times last year :pac:

Cliff blocs are very good i found

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭frash

Kellygirl wrote: »
    I used to carry those small bags of star mix jellies for longer runs if I wasn’t using gels.

They're good alright - did that before but was hoping for something more filling
    Be careful with the gels or if you use a good few run in a scenic area as have gotten caught out a few times last year :pac:

Cliff blocs are very good i found

Have had gels before & been fine (I avoid the caffeine ones).
    Will check out "cliff blocs".

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GT Tonry

Hi guys,
    Newbie to Marathon, late starter to running, 5K 28mins, 10K 58mins, Half 135mins,
    Parkrun every Sat, Long slow run on Sundays 20-22K. Strenght training on Monday night, Swimming on Wed night, 5-6K on intervening nights. Total mileage per week approx 40K. Looking forward to DCM, finishing time not important, just happy to cross the finish line without too much discomfort. Thanking you for your advice and help over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

GT Tonry wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Newbie to Marathon, late starter to running, 5K 28mins, 10K 58mins, Half 135mins,
    Parkrun every Sat, Long slow run on Sundays 20-22K. Strenght training on Monday night, Swimming on Wed night, 5-6K on intervening nights. Total mileage per week approx 40K. Looking forward to DCM, finishing time not important, just happy to cross the finish line without too much discomfort. Thanking you for your advice and help over the next few months.

Welcome, GT. Your times aren't too dissimilar to my own :) Looks like you're in a good place to start marathon training in June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 GT Tonry

Thanks Huzzah,
    Following the 'Hal Higden' and training with a group of like minded friends (all in the +50 age group), signed up for the Dingle half in September and will probably do a few 10 milers before that.

Advertisement