Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2019, 14:22   #1
job seeker

Swelling after tattoo

Hi all,
Got a tattoo done the day before yesterday. I got it done on my lower leg. So it’s both sides, shin and calf!

I just noticed one side of my calf muscle is pretty swollen. It doesn’t hurt. I can just feel that it’s larger on the right siad than the left! Is this sort of swelling normal?

I trawled google, but couldn’t find a definite answer.

Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 14:36   #2
Stephen Gawking

Contact the artist/studio & see what they have to say. You'll be asked if you've followed the aftercare steps thoroughly so be sure to be straight with them if they ask. A trip to the Doctor might also be in order just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by job seeker View Post
Hi all,
Got a tattoo done the day before yesterday. I got it done on my lower leg. So it’s both sides, shin and calf!

I just noticed one side of my calf muscle is pretty swollen. It doesn’t hurt. I can just feel that it’s larger on the right siad than the left! Is this sort of swelling normal?

I trawled google, but couldn’t find a definite answer.

Thanks in advance!
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 14:37   #3
razorblunt

I got my first and only tattoo done in that area too, last year and I can't say it felt swollen at all.
Obviously a bit "raised" on the linework but not actual swelling.

Last edited by razorblunt; 20-03-2019 at 09:00.
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 14:41   #4
charlietheminxx

If it's not sore, I wouldn't be too worried. I have one on my thigh which did make that part of my leg swell out a bit for 2-3 days. If it doesn't start to subside tomorrow or if it gets worse or starts to hurt, definitely see a doctor.
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 22:16   #5
job seeker

Thanks for all the advice folks! I’ll message my artist tomorrow and see what he says. This is pretty much all my doing, when I got the outline done, I was far too laid back about looking after it! I’ll keep ye up dated anyway and let ye know!
Advertisement
19-03-2019, 22:32   #6
Star Lord

Swelling is pretty common, more so in some places than other. Hands and feet are especially bad for swelling. Got my firearms tattooed recently, and I've of them swelled a bit, the other not so much. It's a normal part of your body healing any major trauma, and as tattoos are fairly intense damage to your skin, then yes it's pretty common for it to swell up.
Thanks from:
19-03-2019, 22:44   #7
job seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
Swelling is pretty common, more so in some places than other. Hands and feet are especially bad for swelling. Got my firearms tattooed recently, and I've of them swelled a bit, the other not so much. It's a normal part of your body healing any major trauma, and as tattoos are fairly intense damage to your skin, then yes it's pretty common for it to swell up.
I see, the thing is that, it's swollen on the right side of the calf muscle. Now the artist didn't actually tattoo over the place that it has swollen. This section is the last 20% to be finished before the whole tattoo is completed. I was tattooed either side of the swollen section if you know what I mean!
20-03-2019, 09:02   #8
razorblunt

Aftercare is key alright, I had minimal peeling with mine and its a substantial tattoo.
Even the inflammation went down rapidly.

This thread reminds me I'm going back to get it finished. I'd completely forgotten!
Thanks from:
26-03-2019, 00:01   #9
job seeker

Seems like I very lucky. So I assumed that the swelling was caused by infection. However, it has returned to normal size. So, I jumped the gun in a sense.. Well, totally.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion