Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Stick with Summer time or Winter time?
Summer time 311 83.16%
Winter time 63 16.84%
Voters: 374. You may not vote on this poll

31-08-2018, 16:16   #61
Shenshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Tod Umptious View Post
Here is my take on it.

If we had constant “summer time” then in high summer we would have daylight from approx. 4am to approx. 11pm

In low winter we would have daylight from approx 9.30am to 5.30pm.

In low winter the weather tends to be bad which effects day light, thus it could dark well before 5.30pm most evenings.

The same bad weather would also mean that it could get bright later than 9.30am

So in that case I’d value the morning light much higher than the evening light.
Why, though?
In the mornings, I get out of bed, shower, get dressed and go to work. I then spend my day at work, and return home around 5pm (ish). To have a bit of daylight left to go for a run or other kind of exercise would be invaluable, while it really doesn't make the slightest difference to me if it gets bright at 8.30 or 9.30 - I'd be in work.
Advertisement
31-08-2018, 16:16   #62
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Von Peppercorn View Post
That either gets you back to GMT or GMT+1.
That's fine with me as long as we pick the one appropriate for us rather than just trying to be the same as nearby countries.
31-08-2018, 16:17   #63

Quote:
Another reason to keep things as they are

The 3am sunrise is of no use to anyone, but a 9pm sunset in summer is a pain

In summer I value the evening light greater than the morning light.
In winter I value the morning light greater than the evening light
Totally.

With summertime all year January would be a pain in winter but we could accommodate that with later office or school openings for a month.

A month later and the sunrise is an hour earlier anyway.

If we were in winter time now though (ie GMT) sunset would be 7:10 pm tonight in Dublin. 6:50 tonight in London.

People who think they want that don’t really want that. No point complaining about the nights coming in if they never go out.

Conversely if February were in summer time, sunset would be 7pm at the end of the month.

Last edited by Franz Von Peppercorn; 31-08-2018 at 16:28.
Thanks from:
31-08-2018, 16:22   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarIT View Post
That's fine with me as long as we pick the one appropriate for us rather than just trying to be the same as nearby countries.
Why is it appropriate? What does that even mean? If you want solar noon then use a sun dial.

You know west and Central Europe is all one time zone right? From the Spanish Atlantic to the borders of Belarus. China is all one time zone.

Some are hours out from real local noon. Nobody really cares. Although people don’t like the transitions to DST they don’t care about being exactly solar noon.

Last edited by Franz Von Peppercorn; 31-08-2018 at 19:04.
31-08-2018, 16:23   #65
BrokenArrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleas advice View Post
'time' is a social construct, maaaaaannnnnnn...
Fixed that for you.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2018, 16:27   #66
Flying Fox

So in the height of winter we'd get no daylight at all outside of 9 - 5.30. At least on GMT it's bright going into work, I'm not looking forward to commuting both ways in the dark.
Thanks from:
31-08-2018, 16:32   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Fox View Post
So in the height of winter we'd get no daylight at all outside of 9 - 5.30. At least on GMT it's bright going into work, I'm not looking forward to commuting both ways in the dark.
It could be bright enough at 5:30 actually as the sun would have just set.

Except for early jan the rest of the year is better. Morning sunlight is lost to most, evening sunlight isn’t.

(Jan 31st would have a sunset of 18:05 in Dublin).

So a few weeks of it being dark in the morning and evening (a lot of that covered by Christmas) and then you to go home in sunlight.

Last edited by Franz Von Peppercorn; 31-08-2018 at 16:39.
Thanks from:
31-08-2018, 16:38   #68
The_Kew_Tour

I can understand it to a point.

Always thought be best just maybe do it at end of November and put them back in February.

But I be happy to see change come alright
31-08-2018, 16:39   #69

Lights go out and I can't be saved.....
Advertisement
31-08-2018, 16:41   #70
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Which isn’t GMT.

Anyway the worst thing we could do is winter time all year round, but at least they are not suggesting that.
Could you imagine sunrise at 3am

No, fnck that, give me daylight till 11pm.

Quote:
In low winter we would have daylight from approx 9.30am to 5.30pm.

In low winter the weather tends to be bad which effects day light, thus it could dark well before 5.30pm most evenings.

The same bad weather would also mean that it could get bright later than 9.30am

So in that case I’d value the morning light much higher than the evening light.
I don't understand your take on it really. In low winter, it's usually only beginning to brighten up by the time you're getting into work. You have no scope to enjoy the light, because it's in the morning, it's on the way to work. It's wasted time anyway.
Then when you leave, it's dark.

At least if it was a little bright when you're leaving, you can enjoy the last few rays of the day as you skip out of work.
31-08-2018, 16:42   #71
hatrickpatrick

I'd really miss it tbh. The day after the clocks go forward is the first proper "yay, winter is here" day, it wouldn't be nearly as pronounced without it.
31-08-2018, 17:01   #72
Fr Tod Umptious

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Could you imagine sunrise at 3am

No, fnck that, give me daylight till 11pm.

I don't understand your take on it really. In low winter, it's usually only beginning to brighten up by the time you're getting into work. You have no scope to enjoy the light, because it's in the morning, it's on the way to work. It's wasted time anyway.
Then when you leave, it's dark.

At least if it was a little bright when you're leaving, you can enjoy the last few rays of the day as you skip out of work.
What would happen at weekends ?

A awful lot of people do an awful lot of stuff on weekend mornings, from sports to yard work.

Not getting bring till 10am on a Saturday really would be a pain.
31-08-2018, 17:11   #73
GarIT

Quote:
Why is it appropriate? What does that even mean? If you want solar noon then use a sun dial.

You know Central Europe is all one time zone right? From the Spanish Atlantic to the borders of Poland. China is all one time zone.

Some are hours out from real local noon. Nobody really cares. Although people don’t like the transitions to DST they don’t care about being exactly solar noon.
To me it just makes logical sense that noon is actually noon.

I didn't know they were the same, I could have sworn Hungary was +4 but obviously not. Portugal is different though and we're in line with them.

I could also say I don't really care. But it would be nice and given we have to pick some time I think that's the time we should pick, if the sun rose at 10pm I'd get up then and work from 11pm until 8am, it doesn't matter that much.

Saying why should noon be solar noon is like saying why should water freeze at 0 when we could let it freeze at 20. Sure everyone would adjust and everything would be fine but noon at noon works better just like water freezing at 0 works better.
31-08-2018, 17:12   #74
GarIT

Quote:
Not getting bring till 10am on a Saturday really would be a pain.
Nobody forces you to get up at any particular number. it doesn't matter if the number on the time is 4, 11 or 50, you can still get up at the same point in the solar cycle.
Thanks from:
31-08-2018, 17:14   #75
GarIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatrickpatrick View Post
I'd really miss it tbh. The day after the clocks go forward is the first proper "yay, winter is here" day, it wouldn't be nearly as pronounced without it.
I feel the exact opposite. It's more oh, we've now started the annual 6 months of depression, I can't wait for spring.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion