Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Under 20 2019 6 Nations and World Championships

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Due to CAO Adam Corcoran now Trinity

Along with Turner...clongowes 8 and 6. Blackrock front Row

Position Corcoran plays? Names of 8 and 6 and Rock F ROW?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Position Corcoran plays? Names of 8 and 6 and Rock F ROW?

Corocoran is a 7. I think Ryan and Durkan were the names I got on the Clongowes lads. No idea on the front rows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ulster Development / U20 squad to play Leinster, Friday 31st August (6.00pm) at Malone RFC:

Iwan Hughes, Ben McCaughey, James Hume, Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, Bruce Houston, Graham Curtis;
    Peter Cooper, Zack McCall, Paul McGookin, Jack Regan, Bradley Luney, Joe Dunleavy, Matthew Agnew, Jonah Mau'u.

Replacements: Patrick Nixon, Rodney Ah You, Aziz Nasser, JJ McKee, Marcus Rea, Michael Stronge, Robbie Johnston, Oisin Kiernan, Campbell Classon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jonnyfootball

Ulster Development / U20 squad to play Leinster, Friday 31st August (6.00pm) at Malone RFC:

Iwan Hughes, Ben McCaughey, James Hume, Michael Lowry, Aaron Sexton, Bruce Houston, Graham Curtis;
    Peter Cooper, Zack McCall, Paul McGookin, Jack Regan, Bradley Luney, Joe Dunleavy, Matthew Agnew, Jonah Mau'u.

Replacements: Patrick Nixon, Rodney Ah You, Aziz Nasser, JJ McKee, Marcus Rea, Michael Stronge, Robbie Johnston, Oisin Kiernan, Campbell Classon.

Can’t help but think what Patrick Nixon is doing in an ulster academy/dev set up he didn’t make the Leinster u19 team last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster leading 13-7 I think at half time, but Leinster look a much more settled side to me.

Leinster side: 1. Milne 2. McKee 3. Solonoa 7. Penny 10. Hawkshaw 12. Ryan 23. Turner 14. O’sullivan

• Advertisement

Some random thoughts

Ulster:
    Scored an excellent try off a back line move. Sexton ran it in and looked very very quick. I find it hilarious that Lowry is playing 12 instead of Houston who probably has a bigger frame than Hume. The 14 and 15 has been poor defensively, Leinster should really look to attack that wing. Mau’u looks impressive. Not the biggest guy but he’s carrying excellently - hope he’s not just here for a gap year or something. Curtis has a very nice pass and he’s tackled excellently.

Leinster:
    Milne and Solonoa were impressive, but came off in the 1st half. I can see why Leinster took a punt on Solonoa - carried well and looks possibly slightly bigger than Milne. Penny looks strong I’m eveuthing he does - carrying, tackling, rucking. Hawkshaw’s controlled the game well enough - some nice miss passes

I can see why McKee seems to be focusing on hooker. Doesn’t have a huge frame and doesn’t look as powerful as the likes of Callum Reid.

20-7 I think. Lowry’s been the stand out. Some great offloads and a fantastic break from his own half to set up the try.

20-12 it ended

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Ulster leading 13-7 I think at half time, but Leinster look a much more settled side to me.

Leinster side: 1. Milne 2. McKee 3. Solonoa 7. Penny 10. Hawkshaw 12. Ryan 23. Turner 14. O’sullivan

Can’t help but think what Patrick Nixon is doing in an ulster academy/dev set up he didn’t make the Leinster u19 team last year

Beating Leinster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,724 ✭✭✭✭bilston

20-7 I think. Lowry’s been the stand out. Some great offloads and a fantastic break from his own half to set up the try.

Great to hear. Having the ability to play 12 will be another string to his bow...but he would be seriously tested defensively there

bilston wrote: »

Great to hear. Having the ability to play 12 will be another string to his bow...but he would be seriously tested defensively there
    I think it was more a case of just getting him on the field. Not sure there’s any 12’s in the Ulster academy - Moore and Hume might be able to though. For what it’s worth Lowry’s break for the try was from first receiver - dummy to Hume then broke the line

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Curtis is a brilliant prospect at 12. Or has he been handed a senior contract now?

DonVito wrote: »
    Curtis is a brilliant prospect at 12. Or has he been handed a senior contract now?

Got a development contract (alongside Tom O'Toole) just this week with a full contract following next season

Although the Curtis playing today for the Ulster Development side was his younger brother Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭launish116

How'd younger Curtis go?
    Scary to think we could have most of our backline nailed down for the next decade and their all under 25:
    • 9. Curtis jnr 
    • 10. Lowry/McPhilips?Burns 
    • 12. Curtis Snr 
    • 13. Stewart 
    • 11/14. Sexton?

launish116 wrote: »
    How'd younger Curtis go?
    Scary to think we could have most of our backline nailed down for the next decade and their all under 25:
    • 9. Curtis jnr 
    • 10. Lowry/McPhilips?Burns 
    • 12. Curtis Snr 
    • 13. Stewart 
    • 11/14. Sexton?

Stockdale?

Stockdale?

Curtis jr has a great pass, and he was a very strong tackler. The kicking was mostly left to Houston, so I can’t remember how his box kicking was. He got moved onto the wing in the second half.

Curtis jr has a great pass, and he was a very strong tackler. The kicking was mostly left to Houston, so I can’t remember how his box kicking was. He got moved onto the wing in the second half.

How did Houston go?

How did Houston go?
    Went well - nothing spectacular, but no real mistakes from what I remember. He has quite a big boot on him. Had to make a few in goal clearance kicks that found good touch. He was a good defender - which is to be expected, because I’m certain he’s a few kilos over 90. Thought he generally moved the back line well, but they weren’t getting consistent phases together, so its hard to tell what his running game is like.

It should be a fun battle between him, hawkshaw and Byrne for the u20 squad. Munster have a fairly well rated 10 as well don’t they?

• Advertisement

How did Houston go?
    Went well - nothing spectacular, but no real mistakes from what I remember. He has quite a big boot on him. Had to make a few in goal clearance kicks that found good touch. He was a good defender - which is to be expected, because I’m certain he’s a few kilos over 90. Thought he generally moved the back line well, but they weren’t getting consistent phases together, so its hard to tell what his running game is like.

It should be a fun battle between him, hawkshaw and Byrne for the u20 squad. Munster have a fairly well rated 10 as well don’t they?

Is that Harry Byrne? I didn't realise he had another year to go.

It's good for Ulster to have a couple of out half prospects coming through. I'd be interested to hear how Thomas Armstrong goes for the Ulster U19s today. He impressed me as a 5th year (assume it's the same guy) in the Schools Cup final a couple of years ago.

Yea harry Byrne, I’m fairly certain he’s got another year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Jonnyfootball

Ben Healy from glenstal , quite possibly the best of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Ben Healy from glenstal , quite possibly the best of the lot
    Possibly. Has best kicking game IMO of the lot.
    Developed a lot in Nenagh with top coach Pat Whelan there.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Yea harry Byrne, I’m fairly certain he’s got another year

Personally I didn't think he looked that great in u20's but I wasn't keen on the 15 either whereas others were raving about him. No doubt I'm way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Byrne had just turned 19 for the rwc iirc. He was 18 during the 6 nations. Quite impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RockBoysarewii

Personally I didn't think he looked that great in u20's but I wasn't keen on the 15 either whereas others were raving about him. No doubt I'm way off.

Yeah Silvester is solid at best

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Sam Dardis playing 1s with Terenure this year it seems. Imagine Adam La Grue will push too to be involved with them.

Will probably impact their Prem 1 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Byrne had just turned 19 for the rwc iirc. He was 18 during the 6 nations. Quite impressive.

Aye but that's what u19 means - turning 18 that year. So playing 1 year up. Super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right, but he only 18 during the 6nations. He's eligible again next season.

Advertisement