Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Does anyone know when you can start to download the game for it to be ready to play on the 22nd ? On PS4.

Looking forward to this game I have to admit...only worry is I'm sh1te at parrying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Does anyone know when you can start to download the game for it to be ready to play on the 22nd ? On PS4.

Download should be available now on the PSN.

Having a baby not sleeping and the in-laws staying this weekend, I'm not going to be able to play this for a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I love the Souls series, just completed my umpteenth run of DS3, and recently started a new DS1 play through. DS2 takes too long lol.

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I think there is going to be a lot of salt with this game due to the very different mechanics. I also am flabbergasted by the removal of co-op, which I tend to use to farm souls and embers a lot. Whilst I'm pretty OK with backstabbing, I never really got parrying down, so the fact that this seems to be such a big part of the combat does worry me a bit.....

Anyway, all will be known shortly!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think a lot of people are expecting Dark souls from this game when From are making a very different game.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think a lot of people are expecting Dark souls from this game when From are making a very different game.
    Yeah from what I seen it is different and in a good way.

Having said that I do think you can see the DS heritage in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ArthurG wrote: »
    I love the Souls series, just completed my umpteenth run of DS3, and recently started a new DS1 play through. DS2 takes too long lol.

Based on what I'm seeing and hearing, I think there is going to be a lot of salt with this game due to the very different mechanics. I also am flabbergasted by the removal of co-op, which I tend to use to farm souls and embers a lot. Whilst I'm pretty OK with backstabbing, I never really got parrying down, so the fact that this seems to be such a big part of the combat does worry me a bit.....

Anyway, all will be known shortly!

Parrying was something I didn't use much in DS outside of PvP but it was a big part of the gameplay in Bloodborne and I had no problems with it once I got used to not having a shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reviews should start popping up shortly, not that they'll stop me from playing the game anyway.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Reviews should start popping up shortly, not that they'll stop me from playing the game anyway.
    I think I read the day before but I could be wrong .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Thurs 8am Pacific time I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Where are people getting their PC copy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm so torn on buying this or not , I love the whole setting and loved the Tenchu games on PS1 , but I'm turned off by the whole Souls/Bborne type difficulty :/

I'm so torn on buying this or not , I love the whole setting and loved the Tenchu games on PS1 , but I'm turned off by the whole Souls/Bborne type difficulty :/

Wait until its available cheaper. Probably down to €50 in two weeks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The difficulty of these games is overly exaggerated by the press.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Don't listen to him, they are some of the hardest games ever created

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

they're easier than I expected but can be bone crushingly difficult at times, particularly if you don't know what you're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The difficulty of these games is overly exaggerated by the press.

Wut? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where are people getting their PC copy?

GMG still seems to be cheapest, I'm in two minds between buying on GMG now and have it for launch for get it the weekend for a tenner less

GMG still seems to be cheapest, I'm in two minds between buying on GMG now and have it for launch for get it the weekend for a tenner less

Yea that's what I'm thinking as well. Think I'll wait because I don't think I'll have time to play this weekend anyway.

Don't listen to him, they are some of the hardest games ever created

Compared to stuff like ghouls n ghosts, contra hard corp and others they are a walk in the park. They might be tough but they are perfectly manageable by anyone with even the most cack handed amount of skill.

I just feel it's a shame people let the overly exaggerated difficulty put them off experiencing far an away the best series of games in the last 15 years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

They punish stupidity and people who don't learn from their mistakes. Most enemies can be beaten with a bit of thought, and coming up with an actual plan.

Saying that, i never finished DS3 or Bloodborne...so not sure which of the above i am :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s ludicrous to suggest the Souls games aren’t difficult. Are they manageable? Absolutely. Do they reward patience? Of course. Are there harder games? Sure. But they’re still difficult: a basic analysis of the games shows many design choices based around challenging the player in a way that’s unusual in most game design (that comes with the note that there’s also systems to aid players).

I don’t think that interested players should be scared off by the difficulty: they’re hardly insurmountable, and are deeply, deeply rewarding experiences overall. Their critical acclaim is well-earned, and anybody committed to tackling the games will almost certainly succeed. But the reputation for difficulty is fair. They require time, commitment and patience - the games are rewarding because of it, but still a certain level of commitment and skill is required. There’s no exaggeration or screaming red alarm when I say that: just merely a simple statement of fact. Still can’t recommend them enough, but again seems somewhat absurd to me to suggest their reputation is unearned. The whole ‘git gud’ dismissal of people who will find them difficult - because they are difficult - is condescending and unfair.

Kiith wrote: »
    They punish stupidity and people who don't learn from their mistakes. Most enemies can be beaten with a bit of thought, and coming up with an actual plan.

Saying that, i never finished DS3 or Bloodborne...so not sure which of the above i am :/

Bloodborne is my favorite game of this generation and was my first Souls game. Almost packed it in when I couldn't kill the Cleric Beast but eventually killed him after about the 60th go, I actually ran around the house celebrating :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Playing Dark Souls on the Switch at the minute. Preordered Sekiro on the PS Store this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,230 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

petes wrote: »
    Playing Dark Souls on the Switch at the minute. Preordered Sekiro on the PS Store this morning :)

Did anyone see the Japanese Pre-order theme for the PS4, its beautiful.

Cant see one for us though :/

It’s ludicrous to suggest the Souls games aren’t difficult. Are they manageable? Absolutely. Do they reward patience? Of course. Are there harder games? Sure. But they’re still difficult: a basic analysis of the games shows many design choices based around challenging the player in a way that’s unusual in most game design (that comes with the note that there’s also systems to aid players).

I don’t think that interested players should be scared off by the difficulty: they’re hardly insurmountable, and are deeply, deeply rewarding experiences overall. Their critical acclaim is well-earned, and anybody committed to tackling the games will almost certainly succeed. But the reputation for difficulty is fair. They require time, commitment and patience - the games are rewarding because of it, but still a certain level of commitment and skill is required. There’s no exaggeration or screaming red alarm when I say that: just merely a simple statement of fact. Still can’t recommend them enough, but again seems somewhat absurd to me to suggest their reputation is unearned. The whole ‘git gud’ dismissal of people who will find them difficult - because they are difficult - is condescending and unfair.

I'm not saying they aren't tough. It's more the marketing and some of the press have this attitude that anyone that isn't some sort of elite players with insane skills need not apply. That there is a gross exaggeration. I find it's scared away a lot of people from trying the games. I've convinced a lot of people that have been scared away from them and the vast majority of them have ended up falling in love with the series.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't watch if you want too avoid spoilers.

I'm not scared off I have played Bloodborne and did find it very hard

It's really all about learning and patience.

I'd prefer not to mention how many times I've died rolling off a cliff though..

Vicxas wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Japanese Pre-order theme for the PS4, its beautiful.

Cant see one for us though :/

Haven't downloaded yet but bit does say you get two themes for pre-ordering!

• Advertisement

Were the Tenchu games that difficult ? I know I finished them all but I can't remember how difficult they were I used to use a hit and rooftop strategy , but yeah I'm really edging towards wanting this

Advertisement