Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ashes 17-18

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Maybe he fancies taking in a Test match while he's there? Not too far away sure :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Nice wicket for England to pick up just after a long rain delay

Warner out. Crucial wicket for England. He was looking set.

Aussies recovered quite well. Smith, Warner and Khawaja should have probably gone to bigger scores but that's cricket. Morning session is now absolutely vital. If England can knock them over early they will have a chance, if Australia bat most of the day I can't see them losing anyway. Time is already a factor due to the delay :)

Credit to Root for taking the gamble on winning the toss but that England attack still looks short, everything rests on how they are when play resumes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Broad with the early breakthrough, taking Handscomb lbw, great ball but more of the same from Handscomb. Trapped right in front, deep in his crease. Broad thoroughly enjoyed it as you will see on replays :D

Another batsman who got in, and out also.

Pitch looks like it has quickened a little bit this morning. 220/5

• Advertisement

Marsh and Paine been finding some boundaries, 25 run partnership came quick.

Anderson getting the hook after only 2 overs, Overton into the attack.

Anderson has been a little off, couple of real stray delievries

A fine ton from Marsh and 400 on the board for Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

England really struggling - looking like they have no questions to ask the Aussies.

442/8 declared. Australia really came out swinging after the dinner break.

Yeah, gonna go out on a limb here and say Australia will not be losing this Test match, worrying for England with many people feeling this was their best chance at a win. There is just nothing in that attack (beyond Broad and Anderson) to worry them.

England 29/1 in reply so far, Starc taking out Stoneman lbw.

Minimum of 20 overs remaining today, never mind not losing if Australia can knock over another couple they put themselves in a strong position to win this match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yeah, gonna go out on a limb here and say Australia will not be losing this Test match, worrying for England with many people feeling this was their best chance at a win. There is just nothing in that attack (beyond Broad and Anderson) to worry them.

England 29/1 in reply so far, Starc taking out Stoneman lbw.

Minimum of 20 overs remaining today, never mind not losing if Australia can knock over another couple they put themselves in a strong position to win this match.

Yeah, sadly thats a very accurate assessment, as an England fan I think we're doomed. And a whitewash beckons.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Rain at an opportune time for England

KevIRL wrote: »
    Rain at an opportune time for England

O familiarity :)

Yeah looks like the weather is about the only thing that might save them in this match!

Chance for them again to show some steel though and for the top order to stand up and give themselves a chance at getting out with a draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Fairly bad time for Root to run into bad form for England.

5-0 looking a distinct possibility right now.

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Fairly bad time for Root to run into bad form for England.

5-0 looking a distinct possibility right now.

Fuppin depressing.

Ah nothing says Christmas quite like an English collapse down under

Ah nothing says Christmas quite like an English collapse down under

Very true. These are two very, very average sides, England making Australia look much better than they actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They sacked Cook last winter because they needed somebody to blame for the India debacle. Cook is way too conservative to bowl first in a test like this.

Who they gonna sack this winter to mask the failures of the team management? The management has been protected for a long time due to this being one of the most talented England teams of all time.

227 all out and Australia don't enforce the follow on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Aussies 50-4

• Advertisement

How much is Steve Smith regretting not enforcing the follow on now?

53/4 at stumps

How much is Steve Smith regretting not enforcing the follow on now?

I can understand the decision, it isn't one I'd have taken myself though. Time being the most important factor playing into his decision I'd imagine, stumps came at a good time for them. Try to regroup overnight now and bat till tea tomorrow if necessary or just after lunch even depending on the RR.

Have a good go at getting them out then. Hoping to have a day and a half almost to do it.

From Englands point of view, a sniff at snatching a victory?

Edit: Its about a 270 run deficit as is, not many more needed realistically to feel secure enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Im very surprised they didnt enforce the follow on to be honest.

They had only bowled 65 overs throughout the day with lyon taking 25 of them. Surely they would still have been fresh enough. Instead they give England a chance to bowl with a new ball in perhaps the only conditions that will suit them all series.

Australia are maybe only 100 runs short of being completely safe but a couple of early wickets for England this evening and they may feel they have a real chance at getting a result

The conditions is the reason I would have put them back in, under lights, new ball, try get the top order out of there quick and have a handy time picking off the lower order over 2 days.

Who knows, maybe one or two of the quicks are feeling little niggles and he saw it as a chance to rest up for a little while, its a long series after all, not a whole lot of depth outside the first choice attack either. Maybe he felt so confident with how toothless England have been about setting a big enough score in a couple of sessions would give the lads a little break?

Either way he will now be hoping his choice won't turn out to be as big an error as Root's one in putting Australia in :D

I think they will bat strong in the morning and look to declare at lunch, if things go badly I think they will try get another 120/130 runs on the board and declare.

Who knows, maybe Smithy will be feeling bold and just try to add 70/80 runs and go for the quick declaration, hoping there is just enough time left for England to feel they have a realistic chance at chasing this down instead of trying to survive, be easier to bowl them out if they are actively trying to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I wouldn't have enforced the follow on. You just can't predict a Cricket pitch bar that in day 4-5 the pitch will likely fade. England could have put a good opening partnership together, hit close to 400 then Australia would have to chase 150+ in the 4th innings. The pitch could go completely off by that time, plus the day-night factor is still very unknown for a 5th day.

IMO the only chance England had of winning was of Australia enforced the follow on

I just can't agree with the line of thinking, I take your point on it. I just disagree, ce la vie I guess :)

I would absolutely have enforced the follow on, for the reasons that England are demoralised, they are out of touch at the top of the order, they are going to be facing tricky conditions with a new ball and the bowling attacks tails up from bowling them out cheaply already, you knock over a couple of wickets early you wrap it up in 4 days, 2 nil up in the series, one hand on the trophy knowing there is plenty of time if England do manage to put together a strong partnership at some point. The worst outcome from Australian point of view most of the time there is England bat themselves to safety, but not to victory. They would not be racking up runs at any sort of a decent clip for fear of losing wickets, they would be trying to occupy as much time as possible, which they will be doing when they are back out to bat.

The whitewash could well and truly have been on if you put your foot on the throat of the opposition there and don't give them a squeak. Make them bat for their lives, they have not shown any kind of mental toughness to stand up to that or the ability to bat 400 going on the previous 3 innings you have to on at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

nathan_lyon.jpg

Just been appreciating this brilliant moment from Nathan Lyon again. What a series he's had so far.

Handscomb and night watchsman Lyon gone. Australia 75/6. It's on.

• Advertisement

More wickets but lead edging to 350. 126/8

Advertisement