Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-09-2017, 23:04   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakill Farm View Post
Did the test may 2016. And uncle did it a few months back and nothing. L200 I had and Ifor Williams box trailer belonged to the driving instructor and it was 10x5 and had the lift of blocks inside already
Tri-axle trailer?
Advertisement
10-09-2017, 23:05   #32
lakill Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
Tri-axle trailer?
No. Twin.

I have a 6ft 6 wide cattle trailer here and mirrors on jeep are fine with it even.
10-09-2017, 23:08   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakill Farm View Post
No. Twin.

I have a 6ft 6 wide cattle trailer here and mirrors on jeep are fine with it even.
She's still a bulky trailer, especially at that width.

How do you find the jeep for pulling with cattle on board?
10-09-2017, 23:16   #34
Zr105

Did it earlier in the year, just got the provisional (theory test was recent enough to count) and booked the test the same day, got a date about a month/6weeks later bout L played the night before and loaded up the cattle box with 4inch blocks. Got on ok on the test and passed not much to it test wise really except checking mirrors in an obvious way and often enough for the tester.

Also has anyone actually got proof of this crack that "you need a ce license to move a digger with a tractor" I've never one seen it mentioned on any of the official paper work, be it rsa or statute docs, the sceptic in me thinks it was started as a rumour by truck hauliers getting fed up of lads undercutting them for moving diggers years ago, the same with tri axle trailers, I've never once seen it specifically written. The only real issue with tri axle trailers is the weight as there generally a big trailer that's easily overloaded.
10-09-2017, 23:21   #35
lakill Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cork Truck Driver View Post
She's still a bulky trailer, especially at that width.

How do you find the jeep for pulling with cattle on board?
Twin axle fine. The trailer is demoubtable type but I switched from land rover to demoubtable. I wount be doing a lot of road work really.

L200 grand in front of her for 2.5. Loads of torque.
Advertisement
10-09-2017, 23:26   #36
lakill Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zr105 View Post
Did it earlier in the year, just got the provisional (theory test was recent enough to count) and booked the test the same day, got a date about a month/6weeks later bout L played the night before and loaded up the cattle box with 4inch blocks. Got on ok on the test and passed not much to it test wise really except checking mirrors in an obvious way and often enough for the tester.

Also has anyone actually got proof of this crack that "you need a ce license to move a digger with a tractor" I've never one seen it mentioned on any of the official paper work, be it rsa or statute docs, the sceptic in me thinks it was started as a rumour by truck hauliers getting fed up of lads undercutting them for moving diggers years ago, the same with tri axle trailers, I've never once seen it specifically written. The only real issue with tri axle trailers is the weight as there generally a big trailer that's easily overloaded.
W licence is tractor and trailer and no weight limit Once the trailer and tractor meets the regulations since Jan 2016.

Also some rule about commercial use of over 100km from your address in a tractor. But that's for commercial tractor tax not agri tractor tax.
Thanks from:
10-09-2017, 23:55   #37
Wigster

You now need a Public Service Card to apply for the theory test.
11-09-2017, 00:04   #38
nox001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Knocks View Post
If it was me I'd do the CE.
Anyone pulling a digger on a low loader behind a tractor needs a CE.
Even if you have to get the C too, I know it's additional short term hassle but could be better in the long run
They don't, you only ever need a W for pulling with a tractor. Whoever told you otherwise is taking nonsense.
11-09-2017, 04:43   #39
foxy farmer

A farce.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jraeh3omko...00.13.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b443sgqhpk....42-1.jpg?dl=0
Anyone with a full licence can operate the setup in second pic as it's covered under W. Very few ever do the test for W class.
Driving the setup in first pic is illegal without BE.

Last edited by foxy farmer; 11-09-2017 at 04:48.
Advertisement
11-09-2017, 08:37   #40
lakill Farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy farmer View Post
A farce.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jraeh3omko...00.13.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b443sgqhpk....42-1.jpg?dl=0
Anyone with a full licence can operate the setup in second pic as it's covered under W. Very few ever do the test for W class.
Driving the setup in first pic is illegal without BE.
Both examples should be illegal. A Land Rover and a John deere
Thanks from:
11-09-2017, 09:04   #41
adam14

Got it last year. Took two lessons but it really is back to basics and a big inconvenience. Reckon it costs about 500 euro for everything. I too was stopped the first time I went towing after I got it and they looked for it.
11-09-2017, 10:44   #42
arctictree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post
They are still letting people go when driving unaccompanied for the B permits, but it's not going to last. There's also the fact that you are not insured if you aren't accompanied and with the recent insurance increases I can see the companies reclaiming costs at some stage.
I'm talking about having a full B licence with a provisional BE.

I don't think you need to be accompanied by a full BE licence holder in this scenario. At least guard said I was fine when I was stopped.
11-09-2017, 10:51   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictree View Post

I don't think you need to be accompanied by a full BE licence holder in this scenario. At least guard said I was fine when I was stopped.
You actually do, but this is Ireland, in relation to the cops, they aren't exactly in the news for the right reasons lately.
11-09-2017, 10:53   #44
alps

Quote:
Originally Posted by nox001 View Post
They don't, you only ever need a W for pulling with a tractor. Whoever told you otherwise is taking nonsense.
The classification may be for the usage of the vehicle....are you sure that the W licence extends from agricultural use to industrial use? The difference in diesel usage between agriculture and industrial/haulage is well defined..
11-09-2017, 14:05   #45
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictree View Post

All learners apart from bikes need to be accompanied

Quote:
Accompaniment
All learner permit holders, with the exception of those who hold a learner permit in category A1, A2, A, or AM (Mopeds), must be accompanied by a qualified driver at all times while driving. A qualified driver is one who holds a full licence for a continuous period of two years in respect of the vehicle category being driven by the learner permit holder.
No offence to our Gadaí but a lot of them have no idea of the law, they are still telling people that they need a 4x4 to tow a twin axle trailer.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion