Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ford Transit camper build

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

So the RGI lad came today and did a bit of the gas fittings. We got the sockets and RCB wired up too, finished making the frames at the back except for the lids, which we will do tomorrow. Table is cut too, just needs fixing to the floor, door back on the gas box, and more messing around with the door trims

IMG_3040.jpg
    IMG_3041.jpg
    IMG_3042.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3044.jpg
    IMG_3045.jpg
    IMG_3046.jpg
    IMG_3047.jpg
    IMG_3048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

Simona1986 wrote: »
    This build.ahould qualify as a camper!

TBH lads I wouldnt give a shi5, insure it as a van and if you crash it the absolute minimum they will do is pay out to other injured parties or vehicles which they are required to by law, if it gets wrote off fair enough you lose your cash which youd never get back regardless. even if it was fully comp which no point in doing but once you have insurance they will pay out third parties.

Which arguably they should do anyway, try defining a campervan in court.
    Im doing something like this soon and not a chance il be telling insurance its anything other than a van

Not many people know if you have insurance no matter what you are driving and how illegal it is you are covered by them, now they could sue but Ive never heard of that ever. would make the news and once you dont own a gaf what can they get.

This will be registered and insured as a camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Goose81 wrote: »
    TBH lads I wouldnt give a shi5, insure it as a van and if you crash it the absolute minimum they will do is pay out to other injured parties or vehicles which they are required to by law, if it gets wrote off fair enough you lose your cash which youd never get back regardless. even if it was fully comp which no point in doing but once you have insurance they will pay out third parties.

Which arguably they should do anyway, try defining a campervan in court.
    Im doing something like this soon and not a chance il be telling insurance its anything other than a van

Not many people know if you have insurance no matter what you are driving and how illegal it is you are covered by them, now they could sue but Ive never heard of that ever. would make the news and once you dont own a gaf what can they get.

There is a fair amount of discussion about this and related topics over on the "Motorhomes and Campervans" forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=884

It's a subject that comes up pretty regular when people do conversions, which is quite frequent of course.
    Hint: there are legal specifications for taxing and insuring campers. Telling porky-pies not recommended! Insuring a camper is cheap, but you can't run a commercial van and claim it is a camper - different level of risk, you see. A mattress and a billy-can won't do it - there's a list, somewhere.
    The campervan forum repays a read, loads of relevant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A nice finish you are putting to the camper.
    Hope you get some good trips out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I wonder would they go after you to claim back what they paid out to the 3rd party? After all, your modifications to your vehicle will usually make the insurance void.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Another consideration (for the "I'll chance it" crowd) is that you will need to get it DOE'd, the DOE crowd won't give you a cert if it has serious modifications like a camper conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Are you talking mega money for that in general?

Camper tax is 102 and insurance about 350

The reason for the strict regulations is apparently to prevent lads doing a basic conversion of their van just to avail of the cheap tax and insurance.

So we are 99% done. Just a few tiny bits to finish but it's pretty much ready for inspection now anyway.

IMG_3053.jpg
    IMG_3054.jpg
    IMG_3055.jpg
    IMG_3056.jpg
    IMG_3057.jpg
    IMG_3060.jpg
    IMG_3061.jpg
    IMG_3062.jpg
    IMG_3064.jpg
    IMG_3065.jpg
    IMG_3066.jpg

Oh yeah, needs cushions and curtains obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pryantcc

Great work here! Any idea how much weight you've installed?

• Advertisement

Nope. Probably took out 250kg of seats out of it though. Didn't use lightweight bird or anything, mostly 18mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

How do the drawer & press doors open...are they on a push / spring release or are you going to fit knobs?

Brilliant job..by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

IMG_3057.jpg

The SWB Transit is deceptively spacious inside, there's even room in the back for a ride-on mower! :D

Seriously though, impressive professional job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Great job Colm
    Looks great. I'd just finished paneling out my new transit for tool storage tought i was a great lad and was going to post up pics but after seeing your build here I think I'll keep them to myself
    Best of luck with it and all who travel in her

Didn't get the SQI inspection today, think it's Monday now.

Gave us a chance to finish a few more bits.

Some cute little cubby holes, the lids just drop in.
    IMG_3069.jpg
    IMG_3070.jpg
    IMG_3071.jpg

Abandoned the piano hinges as they were a balls. These ones work way better and hold it upright no bothers.
    IMG_3072.jpg

Have a third hinge for the middle, haven't fitted it yet. Still have to fill the screw holes with plastic wood.

Want to fit speakers too, but they're surprisingly hard to come by these days.

J.R. wrote: »
    How do the drawer & press doors open...are they on a push / spring release or are you going to fit knobs?

Brilliant job..by the way!

These ones
    IMG_0222.jpg

The ones we got aren't a straight fit for the board we have so we will have to adapt them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Great job. You should be feeling very proud. Use it and enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Was the SQI expensive? Are there any other charges for changing vehicle type to campervan?

Haven't done SQI yet, it's in this Friday. Think the most it'd be is €150. Then there's VRT which is a kinda pick a number out of the hat type job.

We got a lend of cushions for the VRT photos and test.
    Finished everything else too.

IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3106.jpg
    IMG_3109.jpg
    IMG_3114.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3116.jpg
    IMG_3117.jpg

Having the cushions in makes such a difference. I can't get over how spacious it feels inside for such a small van.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah. Almost forgot I mounted the screen for this and wired it in tonight.

IMG_3099.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Haven't done SQI yet, it's in this Friday. Think the most it'd be is €150. Then there's VRT which is a kinda pick a number out of the hat type job.

I've been doing some reading and as you converted from a minibus you might actually be OK on the VRT as the original VRT would have been paid at the higher rate! I might be wrong however as the rules are very confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Fook it that's a tidy job :)

Knew we forgot to do something

IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3128.jpg

We got some temporary blinds until we get the proper ones on

IMG_3129.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

That's a fantastic job Colm! Fair play!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Looks great, happy travelling all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Any idea of the total cost? Have you been keeping track or just spending as needed?

Excluding the van itself, probably around €3.5k. Some of that was repair/maintenance though.
    Passed CVRT test today anyway, so happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Two questions
    1.why cant i see the pics .what am i doing wrong.
    2. how the tax and insurance pan out.

• Advertisement

defike wrote: »
    Two questions
    1.why cant i see the pics .what am i doing wrong.
    2. how the tax and insurance pan out.

1. No idea, maybe try a different browser!

2. Went perfectly to be fair. CVRT passed then got tax.

Advertisement