Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-03-2019, 23:10   #31
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

D's threads tend to Quietsailor. I have to say of all the builds/refurbs I've seen down the years on forums on the interwebs D's do stand out. When I get the email notification I get all giddy.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-03-2019, 23:58   #32
Daved_XB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsailor View Post
you do know that this is going to turn into an epic refurb don't you?
NO!.... you take that back.....

The engine is going to get a nice refresh, the transmission gets cleaned & serviced & then they go back in... simples..

Ok, maybe the engine gets warmed over a little in its refresh...

Of course if I do that they the trans should get a rebuild just to be sure to be sure..

The suspension rubbers & bushings do need to be replaced & now would be the obvious time to do that I guess & maybe put some upgraded bits in..

If the engine gets warmed over then maybe the stock brakes should be upgraded.... of course if I do that maybe some retro look 17" wheels with good tyres would be a good idea...

Hmmmm... this folks is why I can't have nice things!
05-03-2019, 00:02   #33
Daved_XB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wibbs View Post
D's threads tend to Quietsailor. I have to say of all the builds/refurbs I've seen down the years on forums on the interwebs D's do stand out. When I get the email notification I get all giddy.
Thanks man... it's good to know that the extra time I take to document in pics & then post updates is appreciated
(3) thanks from:
07-03-2019, 09:45   #34
quietsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daved_XB View Post
NO!.... you take that back.....

The engine is going to get a nice refresh, the transmission gets cleaned & serviced & then they go back in... simples..

Ok, maybe the engine gets warmed over a little in its refresh...

Of course if I do that they the trans should get a rebuild just to be sure to be sure..

The suspension rubbers & bushings do need to be replaced & now would be the obvious time to do that I guess & maybe put some upgraded bits in..

If the engine gets warmed over then maybe the stock brakes should be upgraded.... of course if I do that maybe some retro look 17" wheels with good tyres would be a good idea...

Hmmmm... this folks is why I can't have nice things!
And because you restore things properly, not just hoof in 2X horsepower and then wonder 6 months later why it is jittery on the road, is why they become epic refurbs. I'm not complaining, I think this and your other threads are fantastic, it's nice to see people restoring cars properly.

thread spam here; I follow a UK forum called RetroRides and there is a mad scientist/engineer/tool maker fella on there called JohnnyBravo. I think the people who enjoy DaveXB's thread would enjoy this fella (and you too Dave). He builds things to restore tools to fix his RX-2 1972 Mazda RX2 - complete with Japanese tinworm infestation
It's a lonnnnngggg read, and he has a second thread about restoring and modding an Ape three wheeler but the things he builds are interesting - recently an ultrasonic parts washer for almost nothing
17-07-2019, 07:00   #35
Daved_XB

Just a quick update on the Goat, I’ve finally gotten the quotes in from my engine builder to rebuild the engine, so that process has been kicked off.

I’ve ordered new upgraded suspension & a big brake kit to be added as well as I don’t believe in just doubling the BHP of one of these old cars & then touching nothing else.

The bigger brakes means that the 15” wheels won’t work so I’ve bought a set of the original style Rally II wheels but in 17” now. I went with 8” wide up front & 9” wide for the rear… tires are on order & I should have them by Friday hopefully.

Mounted the wheels & measured up to ensure that they wouldn’t rub with the tire sizes that I’m going with.

Hopefully the brakes & suspension parts will arrive in the next few weeks & then I can start pulling the car apart to upgrade.
Advertisement
22-07-2019, 01:53   #36
Daved_XB

Dropped the wheels off on Saturday to get the tyres fitted to them, final step before putting the wheels on the car is to the fit the nice red centre caps

These are held on by a long threaded bolt that goes into the wheel & thru a metal disk

I think that they look great on the car, they fill out the arches well & the design will allow a nice view thru to the fancy brakes I’ve ordered

That’ll be it for a while now for the GTO.. I’ve commissioned the engine build now, I have a big brake kit on order & a fancy upgrade to the suspension on its way too. Until that stuff turns up, I’ve played muscle car tetris & put the GTO off to the side of the shed out of the way till all the bits turn up.

20-09-2019, 02:59   #37
Daved_XB

I have two updates on the GTO now… one positive & one less so… let’s start with the less than positive one & then we can end on a positive note..

So I had dropped off my engine months ago & every time I went to chat with the company I picked to build it they kept telling me that things where moving slowly & I’d have the official quote soon… then the quotes was finally done as an “not to exceed” quote & again I checked in every second week to see how things where progressing. Long story short it turns out that other than dismantling the engine they did nothing else, never ordered a single part, never did anything with the block other than have it cleaned.

This has really annoyed me as you can probably apricate as I’m now months behind where I thought I was…. So I collected all the bits last weekend & took them home

You can see that nearly all of the bearings are badly worn so a rebuild was always going to be needed…

The cam is pretty buggered too & the wear whist not being lobe wiped is definitely more that you’d want on your camshaft

The bits I don’t have yet are the block, the crank & the heads… they are both at the machine shop still as they where outsourced by the guys who would have built the engine. The shop was closed when I went to collect the above bits but I’ll visit them next week to see what these bits look like & to get them to hone the block & measure it all up for me for new bearings etc… then I’ll just order all the bits myself & worry about finding someone to do the build when the bits are here… or maybe I just bite the bullet & buy the right tools & just build the thing myself
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 04:41   #38
Daved_XB

Now onto more positive things… the new suspension has turned up for the GTO & it looks great.. can’t wait to get the old stuff off & get this new stuff on..

The QA1 kit came with new tubular upper & lower front suspension arms

Closer look at the upper, it’s a great build quality with a lot more strength that the original whilst being lighter as it’s not made of pig iron

Here is top & bottom view of the new lower arm

These will work with the stock shocks & springs too… but I’ve gone with the coilover option

Also have rear coilovers to replace the original shocks & springs too

New upper & lower control arms for the rear too

New Trailing arms too

New thicker front & rear sway bars too

The new big brake kit still hasn’t turned up yet… but I’m told that it should be here in a week or two now
20-09-2019, 04:46   #39
Gremlinertia

Send a message via Yahoo to Gremlinertia
So good to see an update here though i'd be raging over the engine too. Keep it up!.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion