Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Would you get much benefit from the additional 320 mix at 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,941 ✭✭✭✭event

Maybe not but at 3 hours I'll take anything if it might help

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Ain't that the truth !

I've actually switched to Precision Hydration gels for this block. I've used Maurten for my last 3 or 4 marathons. I just like trying what else is out there..

They are for sale on the run hub already as an FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I dunno, I find it hard enough to stomach the smaller size gels as it is. I'll be sticking with a standard gel every 4-5 miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

I might have to agree with you there. I've been trying out beta fuel the last few long runs. It's been going ok, but yesterday they just didn't sit right. May end up going back to Maurten.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TheRef

Just looked at the price of the new gels. €5.50 a pop. I know I'd need less than say a Hi5 or SiS, but those can be got for close to €1 each.

Yep, they are spicy alright. Picked up a few anyway, will test them on my long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

I was going to say something similar. I’d be planning to finish all my nutrition around the 35/40 minutes to go to finish. Grab some water but at that stage I’m just want to be running at that stage and not thinking about when I need to take a gel etc. usually at that stage my stomach can’t take anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

weather starting to turn autumn-y , i know it wasnt a great summer but you were still able to pick and choose and stay dry on most runs,

looking at a full week of rain here in the west, depressing thinking about 3 hour run at the weekend in the rain !

still just this week and 2 weeks time in terms of hard weeks and then we are on the home straight

• Advertisement

Yeah was out doing 20 miles on Sunday in the rain, never stopped. At least you can only get so wet and thankfully skin is waterproof

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

As someone with a history of ankle sprains what I hate most about this time of year is the combination of wet footpaths, fallen leaves and dark evenings. Griffith Avenue is a proper minefield for a few weeks every autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭FinnC

Much prefer this weather than some of the hot and humid weather we've had the last few weeks.

Agreed. Once its not windy, the rain is fine. We should be used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I wish i read this before buying!

I had the idea in my head that the extra carbohydrate was coming from the gel being more concentrated, i didn't think it was the exact same as the 100 version just in a bigger packet 🤣

Ah, yes its just a bigger packet. So less gels to carry but you are going to have to consume the same amount of g

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Another follow up on this discussion and another big shout out to @Murph_D for his advice.

I did a base building block at the start of the year before kicking into a HM block and then following up with a marathon training block.

The results were a 2 min 5K PB, 2 min 5 mile PB, 6 min HM PB and to top it off in Chicago yesterday a 25 min PB and finishing yesterday in 3.29.44. All my PBs were from 2016.

Very pleased with the way this year has gone as the dreaded 50 looms on the horizon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Sussex18

After a big pb in May, had the opposite experience last Saturday as I limped home in Galway...

Having said that I'd taken part in County Cross Country the previous Sunday and certainly wasn't targeting another pb, they say it's hard to do 2 good marathons in the one year?

I think Cross Country causes a different type of strain to the roads, which I'm more used to? Definitely felt something in my hip afterwards that I'd never experience after a road race.

Wasn’t too bad until about Mile 15 when I really started to hurt and felt nauseous from the energy gels...

Passed by a very large number of runners in the last 10 miles and I had to take walking breaks.. At least some saw that I was in trouble and offered encouragement as they passed!

Eventually crossed the finish line, more than half an hour slower than my pb from 5 months ago, but at least I made it and still ultimately enjoyed my weekend in Galway.

This was always more a social event than a pb event!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Sorry for bumping a year-old comment!

How did you carry the saltstick fast chews?

Do you need to carry them in a small plastic bag?

I'm thinking of getting them for this years DCM but would like to know the best way to hold them during the race.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TheRef

Yeah, I carry mine in a small plastic bag that probably had buttons or something in it attached to a new piece of clothing. Probably fit in about 10 or so for the one I had, but I don't reckon I'll use them all. If you buy a packet instead of the bottle, you could probably just use that.

A tip if you do use a small plastic zip lock bag - cut half either side above the lock part. It will be much easier to get a grip and open, particularly when running with sweaty hands.

Have you tried them yet? It took me a few runs to get used to them. Less than 3 weeks to go, so if you are thinking about it - nows the time.

• Advertisement

I carry a waist belt and put the whole pack in there. Its a pack like this so carries fine.

Looking back on that comment is funny. Cos nutrition actualy let me down on the day, not enough salt at all

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Euro Fred

Thanks for the answers.

I'll give them a bash on some runs between now and then, and hopefully they'll work out.

Nutrition and hydration are something I need to take another look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

This was great to read. Fair play to you on a cracking year. 👏

Terrific result there, very well done! Great to get the update. What kind of marathon training did you do?

Thanks.

As I mentioned before I use a stryd pod to guide the pace of my runs. For the program I used the Pfitzinger 18 week 55 mile program as a guide to mileage and cut backs, I dont really like his sessions and felt some of the weeks were a bit light in terms of distance so I would have peaked around 62 miles.

The plan as a pretty simple one and split into 8 weeks - 6 weeks - 2 weeks (taper).

In the 8 week block it was 2 days easy, 2 days workout and one long run. Using the stryd pod I could keep the efforts under control and it made sure that I didnt go to hard on the easy days or to easy in the work outs

In the 6 week block it was 3 days easy, 1 workout and 1 long run workout. Pfitz does a lot of vo2max but I am injury prone so I wanted to stay away from raw top level speed in general. So I concentrated on marathon pace improvements here. The workout I used is my favourite which is 15 min warm up, 8 Mins MP, 2 mins HMP, 2 Mins Recovery x 6,7 or 8 and 15 mins cool down. This gives a good 10-12 miles midweek with a good amount at marathon effort

In the Long run I would do 3km warm 1km MP 1km off repeats, and cool down. the following week would be 2km MP 1km off, and then 3km MP 1Km off, then back to 2km MP and then down to 1km MP for the long runs, these runs ranged from 19-21 miles. I also put in a 30km run at kilkenny as a dress rehearsal which gave me the idea I was in 3.30 shape, I did this run in 2.24

This meant I knew what marathon pace felt like and the stryd pod guided me to slight increase my pace as I got fitter.

I also trained alone, I missed running with club mates but it meant I could really dial in what I was looking to do rather than adapt and end up going too fast or slow depending on who was running.

Cheers, some great detail there and some tasty looking sessions alright.

30kms at faster than MP though - I'm tempted to say if you can do that, your 'real' MP should be more aggressive! But knocking such a huge chunk off the PB is a great reward. Kudos!

Thanks, I get where you are coming from but I have had a horrible run of form in Marathons after 2016

4.11 in 2017, 4.36 & 4.58 in 2018 & 4.15 last year. After 2018 I said I would quit marathons for a while and after last year I was done with them until Chicago emailed me to remind me of my deferred 2020 place. I just wanted a good performance, I can sharpen the saw now that I have seen the improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

If ever a set of posts were more suitable to a thread title 🙂

Excellent stuff.

So, how are we all set?

My goal at the start of the year was break 3:30. Target was same last year but I missed it, came home in around 3:38 which was still a PB but was disappointed initially. When I looked back, I was happy with my training block but I felt nutrition let me down. I cramped badly and I realised I have actually cramped in the last 4 miles of my last 3 marathons

For this year, I have made some changes. Around January I fell in with a local running group and I ran all my long runs with them. We do trail running once a week which helps massively. I modified my training plan and I got out and ran 6 times a week (2 sessions on a Tuesday) and I also incorporated a core fitness class every week since August. I went sub 20 mins in the 5k for the first time in February and did it again in August so felt myself much stronger.

I ran the Cork marathon in June with a friend but I was pacing him. He wanted to break 4 hours so I wasn't going for a time (we didnt get it due to the heat) but I did all the training. I did the Dublin half and was going for around 1:35 but we got caught up in the waves, started with the 2 hour pacers due to needing to wait for the toilet and came home in about 1:39. Was very comfortable though. So comfortable I went and ran a 5k race the next day and did that in 20:06. So I am not too bothered I did it a bit slower than I'd like.

When I look at this year vs last year:

140 runs vs 92 runs

973 miles vs 656 miles (that was full year for 2022, still a bit to go for this year)

141 hours vs 91 hours

65k feet vs 41k feet of elevation gain.

I have obviously done way more. For nutrition my changes are: I have moved to Maurten gels and drink mix. I have also trained with adding precision nutrition sachets to the Maurten drink mix which will up my sodium on the day to help combat cramps. Since middle of September I take250mg Magnesium daily with 10g of Collagen and a Revice Active Zest supplement.

I have been using a training plan from a coach and he has been looking at my times and consistency and said I should aim for 7:35-7:40 min miles on the day as I am being too conservative with a 3:30 (8 min miles). When I have been doing MP in training the pace has been around 7:30-7:45.

So all in all, I am feeling confident. But still a slight bit undecided on what pace to go after on the day, I'll settle on it over the next week.

How is everyone else getting on?

• Advertisement

I assume you trust the coach if you are letting him coach you - why not go with what he suggests and see what happens? Especially as you've been training around that pace anyway. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger?

Advertisement