Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Da Dawg pound

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

VillaMad wrote: »
    He definitely has. You can see it in the fans, the excitement of watching a QB that is actually good and a team that can win. It's a basic requirement for any NFL team to have a good QB but the Brown's haven't had one for years and didn't have any hope that the situation could be turned around and Baker ticks every box.

In 5 years time, Darnold may well be a better QB than Baker, who knows? If Darnold though had been chosen by the Browns, he would have been ruined and would probably be out of the NFL in a couple of years and added to the long list of failed QB's, because he isn't Baker. Baker has the charisma, the swagger that no other QB in that draft had, so that he could come into the franchise and have the confidence to just ball out and take all the negative connotations out of being Browns QB.

It's just awesome to have a team that can compete now and with a new head coach (could well be Williams the way things are going), and a few extra pieces added in free agency and the draft, things are starting look very, very exciting in Cleveland and that just feels weird.

Mayfield is a really interesting character and looks like a good pick at no. 1

The last two drafts have been really good for the Browns with Ward, Chubb, Garrett, Peppers and Njoku among others coming in along with Mayfield. The team has huge upside potential.

It’ll cause a dilemma in a few years when all these first rounders need to be paid but they have 3-4 years before that happens. There is a good argument that it’s the most attractive coaching job in football for 2019.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Fantastic season in comparison to the last few years. Finally something to be excited about. It was actually weird tonight, I was convinced on that last drive we were going to win, the Baker effect I suppose. Can’t believe now looking back on the draft I posted take Barkley at 1.

Williams has really grown on me too, some decisions, like tonight by not challleging the spot on a 3rd down. I’m sure all of that will come up in the interview should he get one. I think he deserves the gig though.

Confirmed #17th pick in the draft too.

Cleveland.com reporting there could be a trade for John Harbaugh,

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/83030d3998871/gregg-williams-is-out-accordin.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I have posted on the week 17 thread how weird it is to see the Browns offence run by a good competent QB. I think taking a RB in the top of the draft is nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

gstack166 wrote: »
    Fantastic season in comparison to the last few years. Finally something to be excited about. It was actually weird tonight, I was convinced on that last drive we were going to win, the Baker effect I suppose. Can’t believe now looking back on the draft I posted take Barkley at 1.

Williams has really grown on me too, some decisions, like tonight by not challleging the spot on a 3rd down. I’m sure all of that will come up in the interview should he get one. I think he deserves the gig though.

Confirmed #17th pick in the draft too.

Cleveland.com reporting there could be a trade for John Harbaugh,

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/erry-2018/12/83030d3998871/gregg-williams-is-out-accordin.html

It was a disappointing way to finish the season as like you I thought Mayfield could pull it out of the fire, but I suppose the kicker would probably have missed the possible field goal as I have never trusted him since they brought him in. I guess though when you look at this time last year and Corey Coleman dropped that ball to make it 0-16 and how far we have come in the year, it is incredible. Last year after that defeat, I was embarrased as usual, but last night I was just proud as they effort to stay in the game was admirable.

No doubt in my mind that the Browns is the number 1 head coaching job available on the market when you look at the roster compared to the others. It has a franchise QB, a top edge rusher. Excellent young players in Njoku, Peppers, Chubb, Ogunjobi, Schobert and even the young wide receivers in Callaway and Higgins are pretty good. Added to this that the Browns have hefty bit of space in the salary cap and this franchise is go, go, go for the next 2 seasons at the very least.

When you see how bad this roster did with Hue/Haley and how better it did with Williams and Kitchens, it shows how important that selecting the right person for the job is.

Hopefully Mayfield will learn from the game last night because that is the type of game that he will have to win to get the Browns into the playoffs and beyond.

D9Male wrote: »
    I have posted on the week 17 thread how weird it is to see the Browns offence run by a good competent QB. I think taking a RB in the top of the draft is nuts.

I personally wouldn't have taken a RB that high, but if the Giants do get a QB in the draft and it works out, it won't really matter in the end I guess. No guarantees with any draft pick, but Barkley was/is incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

We actually might have some Bandwagoners.

I want them though. When people are starting to watch NFL over here and are looking for a team i hope that people point them towards Cleveland.

A few winning games from Baker and Chubb and they'll be hooked.

Seen a great line about Chubb yesterday. He never fumbled once and never came out of a game injured. What a great back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

We actually might have some Bandwagoners.

I want them though. When people are starting to watch NFL over here and are looking for a team i hope that people point them towards Cleveland.

A few winning games from Baker and Chubb and they'll be hooked.

Seen a great line about Chubb yesterday. He never fumbled once and never came out of a game injured. What a great back.

My missus is one. Though in saying that she picked Cleveland solely on how pathetic they were and history.

Baker was only a glint in your eyes at that point in Week 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Frankie Cortese

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1082704211178070017?s=21

Would probably mean the end of Gregg Williams which would be a disappointment.

Would probably mean the end of Gregg Williams which would be a disappointment.

The relationship with Baker Mayfield is key. Kitchens and Baker have got on famously which seems to trump everything else. They possibly feel that if they don't give Kitchens the job that they may well lose him to someone else and have to start all over again with Mayfield.

Still a good bit to go in this though I feel.

The relationship with Baker Mayfield is key. Kitchens and Baker have got on famously which seems to trump everything else. They possibly feel that if they don't give Kitchens the job that they may well lose him to someone else and have to start all over again with Mayfield.

Still a good bit to go in this though I feel.

The press have been briefed with this Kitchens story, they’re all reporting it on Twitter now. It’s actually the first time I’ve seen them unanimously agreeing on a choice.

I agree with all you say, wouldn’t it just make more sense then to ask Baker who he wants as HC (if you know he’s the face of the franchise for the next 15 years) maybe they have asked him, just seems to make more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just saw this on twitter...

https://twitter.com/Brickwallblitz/status/1079831562848477185?s=19

That's serious!

And that's one of the main reasons why Kitchens will stay. It would be madness to let him go and if Williams has to go to keep him, then so be it.
    The press have been briefed with this Kitchens story, they’re all reporting it on Twitter now. It’s actually the first time I’ve seen them unanimously agreeing on a choice.

I agree with all you say, wouldn’t it just make more sense then to ask Baker who he wants as HC (if you know he’s the face of the franchise for the next 15 years) maybe they have asked him, just seems to make more sense.

The press asked Baker whether he would have a say in the new HC, he said no, but they know what I'm like and Dorsey said pretty much the same thing the following day. I guess it is quite important considering the utter contempt that Baker has for Hue Jackson.

Just reading on twitter now that Kevin Stefanski (Minnesota OC) is heading back for a second interview. May well be Kitchens as HC and Stefanski as OC.

Being widely reported now that Freddie Kitchens will be the new head coach.

Gregg Williams will not return and their will be new staff on that side of the ball.

It is a risk, but obviously Dorsey and his staff must be impressed with the work that Kitchens has done. Quite the meteoric rise.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1083045865428828161?s=21

Exciting times. Gutted about Williams to be fair, wish him the best.

Confirmed now that Steve Wilks (former Arizona HC) is the new Defensive Coordinator and Todd Monken (former Tampa Bay OC) is the new offensive Coordinator.

Tampa were number 1 in passing under Monken, so that's hugely promising and both he and Wilks add lots of experience around Kitchens.

Confirmed now that Steve Wilks (former Arizona HC) is the new Defensive Coordinator and Todd Monken (former Tampa Bay OC) is the new offensive Coordinator.

Tampa were number 1 in passing under Monken, so that's hugely promising and both he and Wilks add lots of experience around Kitchens.

His play calling in Tampa was every bit as team-altering as McVay in Los Angeles (he just didn’t have the talent to get the results). Huge huge get from the Browns. They’re becoming a genuine Super Bowl contender & I don’t say that lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Looking again at the stat last week on how few times Mayfield was hit, QB Hits Allowed from Weeks 9-17:

CLE: 9
    IND: 29
    NO: 31
    NE: 32
    BAL: 33
    CHI: 35
    MIN: 38
    PHI, TEN: 39
    DEN: 40
    NYG: 41
    PIT: 46
    BUF, CIN: 47
    CAR, NYJ: 49
    ARI: 52
    JAX, LAR: 57
    GB, KC, SEA: 58
    ATL, DET, LAC, OAK: 59
    HOU, TB: 60
    DAL: 61
    SF, WAS: 62
    MIA: 65

Is it concerning that Cleveland have switched OL coach?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Very impressive staff Kitchens has managed to put together, if reports are to be believed Monken killed it in his HC interviews this year so it might only be a short stay for him in Cleveland if he and Mayfield light it up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Panrich

D9Male wrote: »
    Looking again at the stat last week on how few times Mayfield was hit, QB Hits Allowed from Weeks 9-17:

CLE: 9
    IND: 29
    NO: 31
    NE: 32
    BAL: 33
    CHI: 35
    MIN: 38
    PHI, TEN: 39
    DEN: 40
    NYG: 41
    PIT: 46
    BUF, CIN: 47
    CAR, NYJ: 49
    ARI: 52
    JAX, LAR: 57
    GB, KC, SEA: 58
    ATL, DET, LAC, OAK: 59
    HOU, TB: 60
    DAL: 61
    SF, WAS: 62
    MIA: 65

Is it concerning that Cleveland have switched OL coach?

Wylie seemed popular and the results in the latter half were very good but he was also ol coach during the bad period in the first 8 weeks. I think the change at left tackle was the key.

• Advertisement

Greg Robinson has been handed a 1-year deal worth up to $9 million.

The former number 2 draft pick did well at left-tackle in the latter half of the season as the Browns started to pick up a few wins with Baker Mayfield also not getting hit as much as he did beforehand.

Replacing Joe Thomas was always going to be nigh on impossible for the Browns but Robinson did a decent job.

At 26, he still has plenty of time to reverse his career after flopping at the Rams and Lions.

Jamie Collins (LB) was released during the week.

One of the highest earners in the side, his average performances never lived up to his salary and it was always likely to happen

It does leave a gaping hole at the linebacker though as it was a weakness for the Browns even before the release of Collins. With cap space of just over $80 million, I expect the Browns to be involved in the next week with free agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jamie Collins (LB) was released during the week.

One of the highest earners in the side, his average performances never lived up to his salary and it was always likely to happen

It does leave a gaping hole at the linebacker though as it was a weakness for the Browns even before the release of Collins. With cap space of just over $80 million, I expect the Browns to be involved in the next week with free agency.

80 milion in cap space and they've got a nice enough team already with what looks like a good coaching staff. The browns have every chance of making the playoffs next year. Every chance.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    80 milion in cap space and they've got a nice enough team already with what looks like a good coaching staff. The browns have every chance of making the playoffs next year. Every chance.

Things are pretty positive for now with just a bit more needed either in the upcoming week or during the draft.

Well it's down to around 70 million in cap space now with the trade of Olivier Vernon coming to the Browns and Kevin Zeitler going to the Giants.

Vernon will play opposite of Garrett and you would think that is a pretty good duo rushing the quaterback. Ogbah last year was ok, but didn't give the production that was hoped but he will still be around for depth.

Losing Zeitler is not ideal as he was pretty good for the Browns, but Dorsey drafted Corbett early in the second round last year, so he will be given the chance to make the guard position his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

So. OBJ, eh? Browns are my AFC team, have been for a few years and I am really excited about what Dorsey is putting together. OBJ has had some great seasons in spite of declining QB play, the thoughts of him with Mayfield, Landry, Njoku and Chubb & Hunt (even though the thoughts of Hunt is a bit icky but hey, 2nd chances and all...) coming out of the backfield... exciting.

Not sure they really needed OBJ but it’s a statement signing and one that’ll ensure every home game is a sellout and they’ll be on primetime every other week. Cleveland will be buzzing in 2019

They need to add some pieces to that Defence now as they were average to poor most of last year iirc. Peppers had a very promising year last year and will be a loss too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Not sure they really needed OBJ but it’s a statement signing and one that’ll ensure every home game is a sellout and they’ll be on primetime every other week. Cleveland will be buzzing in 2019

Yeah, football-wise maybe not, but like you said, OBJ's star puling power is pretty immense, and it makes a statement. It underscores a team who are turning around and making moves, and trying to win. I think that's the key. Even if things don't work out, it's about intention. And in fairness, the division is fairly open since the Steelers have lost Bell and Brown, and seem to be in some kind of flux.

Yeah, football-wise maybe not, but like you said, OBJ's star puling power is pretty immense, and it makes a statement. It underscores a team who are turning around and making moves, and trying to win. I think that's the key. Even if things don't work out, it's about intention. And in fairness, the division is fairly open since the Steelers have lost Bell and Brown, and seem to be in some kind of flux.

Steelers and Ravens have both lost huge players but neither are going away just yet IMO. It’ll be a good competitive division next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I'm loving this.

Only problem is we're going to lose about 4 games to primetime!! Including week 1.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

What do we think about what we gave up? Seems a lot to me, quite liked the potential in Peppers even though it’s been a bit rocky for him.

Don’t get me wrong Beckham is a superstar delighted he’s there but overall if it’s as it seems that Beckham wanted out & the Giants likewise & considering rumours that he wants the contract negotiated it’s a lot more (not sure money wise) than what the Raiders gave up for AB

Advertisement