Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

opinions on underage drinking?

• 29-04-2017 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

ok so i was having a conversation with one of my friends about underage drinking after hearing an appauling disscusion on a local radio station about young teens drinking and of course it was all aimed at the girls but i wont get into that... i wanted to know your opinions on underage drinking? i started at 15 which sounds awful and my parents didnt know when i was going to those teen discos, i personally was allowed to go to a local bar that was kind of known for serving underagers when i was 16/17 i wasnt allowed to go to night clubs till i was 17/18 and it was the same with the majority of people i went to school with. This wasnt that long ago as im in my early 20s now but i want to know your opinions what age did you start drinking? do you think the legal age should be lowered to 16 like belgium and germany etc? do you think allowing your kids to drink earlier than 18 is ok and where do you draw the line?.... let me know im curious

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

As a parent to two teens and also I fairly sank a fair drop in my own time I am Quite shocked at the early drinking culture here now. We all drank to excess in our teens but teens now down straight bottles of vodka followed by shots and jaegarmister. They don't want to get drunk they seem to want to get unconscious. It seems to start age 14 or 15 knacker drinking and then at least 6 yrs of getting blotto. I think it's really worrying about the Irish attitude to drink. Girls especially are so vulnerable when they are drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 minnieheek

As a parent to two teens and also I fairly sank a fair drop in my own time I am Quite shocked at the early drinking culture here now. We all drank to excess in our teens but teens now down straight bottles of vodka followed by shots and jaegarmister. They don't want to get drunk they seem to want to get unconscious. It seems to start age 14 or 15 knacker drinking and then at least 6 yrs of getting blotto. I think it's really worrying about the Irish attitude to drink. Girls especially are so vulnerable when they are drunk.
    Yes I agree with you ireland as a country have an issue with our attitude towards underage drinking. When I was 15/16 I went to a teen disco I believe it was junior cert night and downed a naggin of vodka I went unconscious and later woke up but I was completely blacked out and have 0 recollection of what happened for a few hours until the guards had to ring my parents it was humiliating and I felt extremely bad for doing it anything could have happened to me but thankfully I had good friends who looked out for me and it took a while to regain their trust again which is understandable of course. I don't think drinking is extremely bad or however you might say it but I agree teens attitude to spirits is awful and extremely dangerous the amount they consume straight I don't think they are being educated enough about it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Mod:

I didn't spot this until now.

Not really a subject for the Debating forum.

Transferring to the Humanities forum.

Advertisement