Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-04-2016, 14:15   #1
red_barn

Social anxiety and public speaking meetups

Hi All

I am a 26 year old male that has suffered with social anxiety for as long as i can remember. I have done lots of things to try and overcome it including public speaking courses, meditation, hypnotherapy and medication. It ranges from mild discomfort to fairly extreme panic attacks in certain situations

I have decided enough is enough and I am going to do everything I can to finally overcome it naturally. I think that means actively seeking out as many situations as possible to feel really uncomfortable and just be comfortable with feeling uncomfortable.

What I think would be great is if we could get a small group of like minded people to maybe meet up weekly / bi weekly and maybe practise speaking on chosen topics for 2 - 3 minutes at a time in a comfortable, informal setting until such point that we no longer have this mind boggling fear.

My life would be so much better if I didn't have this. Please let me know if there are other people that would be interested in these meetups?

I live in Dublin 6

Thanks guys
Advertisement
06-04-2016, 15:37   #2
Jellybaby1

I hope you get some replies as you don't really want to end up like myself, in my 60's and still nervy about public speaking. I've tried to enrol in courses only to find they don't start due to a 'lack of interest'. I don't think its so much a lack of interest as the fact that people just lose their nerve at the last minute and just can't take that step.
13-04-2016, 19:30   #3
eviltwin

Step Out run social anxiety groups in Dublin http://www.stepoutireland.com/

If you want further information just ask.
Thanks from:
16-04-2016, 00:47   #4
Connoc24

Hi I would be interested in meet up also.

From like-minded social anxiety sufferer
17-04-2016, 11:42   #5
outland1985

Would be definitely be interested in this
Advertisement
17-04-2016, 18:16   #6
red_barn

Hi guys

Thanks vey much for your replies.
So it seems we have a few interested people which is great. I would be hoping to get these started as soon as possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions for locations? I live in Rathmines but am flexible in terms of meet up places.

What would be ideal is somewhere that was free and would be private so that we could practise in a comfortable environment. I can't think of anywhere specific at the moment. Even if there were rehearsal rooms we could rent out for a small fee for a few hours? And we could divide the price between us? I would be hoping for a small group of just 3 - 5 people max, so that it wouldn't be a daunting experience and even just talking to like minded people would probably be a great help...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I think this could be a really positive experience as we could all help each other

All the best
17-04-2016, 18:21   #7
c montgomery

Is there a thing called toastmasters or something? I think it's a group that helps with public speaking. An old friend did it years ago but that's all I know of it.
17-04-2016, 23:47   #8
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c montgomery View Post
Is there a thing called toastmasters or something? I think it's a group that helps with public speaking. An old friend did it years ago but that's all I know of it.
Some people get on all right with Toastmasters. I've been a few times over the years but was never comfortable with their style. They don't train you, but they definitely give you plenty of encouragement to get up and just do it, and all the speeches get critiqued afterwards, helpful of course. Also, it was a bit expensive for my budget.
21-04-2016, 22:14   #9
cocololo2012

Hi, I'm a 26 year old Masters student and would be really interested in meeting up as have come to a stage where my fear is holding me back career-wise! Have you guys met up yet? Maybe if we get in touch with Step Out they might offer us a place to meet?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-06-2017, 07:51   #10
loolloo78

Hi there

Was a group ever set up? I suffer with social anxiety mainly in the work place for as long as I can remember and I can't go on like this any more. My main issue at the moment is anxiety making and taking calls when colleagues can hear which is every day as my Job involves a lot of phone calls in an open plan office. If any of you have managed to ease/overcome your anxiety can you please contact me with advice/suggestions on how to do it. I am also very interested in a group meet up.
21-06-2017, 19:09   #11
red_barn

Hi Loolloo

thanks for getting in touch. Sorry to hear about the anxiety you are going through

Yes the group was set up. I run it with 2 of my friends. We have a weekly class for 90 minutes, 7 - 8.30 PM every Thursday. This is held in the Carmichael centre at 4 Brunswick St N, Arran Quay, Dublin

This group is for people, exactly like yourself that possible are not comfortable in public speaking, social or phone call situations etc..

There are generally between 5 - 12 people at our group and we run through different exercises for the duration of the class. these would include introducing yourself, reading from a book, job interview situations, speaking about a random topic for under a minute and prepared speeches / presentations. You can also practice anything you wish such as making phone calls in front of people etc..
You can take part in all / some or none of the exercises, it is completely up to you and what you are comfortable with.
The whole idea of this group is that all of us suffer from social anxiety or a fear of public speaking in some form. But we just practice in this group in a real positive and friendly environment where it doesn't matter if we get nervous or make mistakes as we are all in the same boat..

Personally I have found this group to be extremely beneficial as I have always struggled with social things (including making work phone calls) but found that practising in this group made a huge difference.

We just ask that people contribute 5 euro if they attend a class and this is just to pay for the room as unfortunately it is not free.

Feel free to PM me if you want any further information.. the next class is tomorrow and you would be more than welcome to join

All the best
Thanks from:
23-06-2017, 09:42   #12
loolloo78

Thank you so much for the quick and very detailed response. Much appreciated.
23-06-2017, 09:46   #13

I've been to a couple of different Toastmasters meetings recently, they really are so very lovely and understanding! I'm still not quite sure that it's for me - that it's something I'd actually enjoy doing. But they were extremely welcoming and made sure that I felt really comfortable there, that I'd someone to talk to all of the time and to introduce me to people, they were just so good and kind and lovely, without being over-the-top! I get the impression that many of their members come from a background of social anxiety and you certainly wouldn't be alone in that. It feels like a very "safe" environment to get to know new people. Well worth looking into.
23-06-2017, 11:51   #14
Jellybaby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady is a tramp View Post
I've been to a couple of different Toastmasters meetings recently, they really are so very lovely and understanding! I'm still not quite sure that it's for me - that it's something I'd actually enjoy doing. But they were extremely welcoming and made sure that I felt really comfortable there, that I'd someone to talk to all of the time and to introduce me to people, they were just so good and kind and lovely, without being over-the-top! I get the impression that many of their members come from a background of social anxiety and you certainly wouldn't be alone in that. It feels like a very "safe" environment to get to know new people. Well worth looking into.
Yes, that's exactly what I experienced. Everyone is lovely. I still don't think its for me either. Another problem for me, as well as the cost, is that when a group becomes popular you eventually end up giving a speech to a larger number of people than you ever anticipated, and that scares me to death. As I do each year, I wait to see the September evening classes with fingers crossed I'll find something there.
01-07-2017, 15:23   #15
loolloo78

I actually went to a group in the Carmichael centre about a year ago and I did find it very good but sadly that location is not good for me. If anyone is interested in starting a group in the Wicklow area please let me know.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion