Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB in London

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd go.

Its a good idea to try and promote the game this side of the world.

NFL is obviously popular but MLB is almost non existent.

A lot has to do with game time in my opinion.

The bulk of NFL games are between 6pm and 12.30am once a week.

MLB on the other has the bulk of its games at 12am and later every day of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

We should make a Boards trip of it...!!!

Seriously though, I'd love to see it too. Great that it's not just a spring training trip (weather wouldn't allow that anyway). I'd go, no matter who the two teams were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

wow id defo go if it happens! Though who will play will be the question!

Not happening unfortunately.

MLB abandons plans to stage 2017 fixture in London - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/36771336

Not happening unfortunately.

MLB abandons plans to stage 2017 fixture in London - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/baseball/36771336

That's a pity.

• Advertisement

Well this idea had been mentioned again, this time for 2018 Red Sox v Yankees.

That's about as big a draw as you'll get in MLB, I hope the incentives are enough for one or the other to give up a home series.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/us-sport/2016/1224/841091-red-sox-and-yankees-consider-london-series/

Looks like 2019 now for when we're going to get a regular season game in Europe, probably still London.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/05/...-games-europe/

Back in the news again

http://www.bbc.com/sport/baseball/43473214
    The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox are "very close" to agreeing a deal to play two Major League Baseball regular season games in London in June 2019.

The venue would be London Stadium, which is home to Premier League football club West Ham United.

Details are still to be agreed, but if the fixtures take place, they would be the first MLB games hosted in Europe.

Proposals to host 2019 Cricket World Cup matches at London Stadium at the same time have not been affected.

The Cricket World Cup runs from 30 May to 14 July, but it is understood both sports could be accommodated in a short space of time.

MLB matches have already been staged outside the USA in Mexico, Japan, Puerto Rico, and most recently at Australia's Sydney Cricket Ground in March 2014.

In 2017, MLB abandoned plans to stage some regular-season matches in London.

Red Sox owner John Henry, whose Fenway Sports Group also owns Liverpool FC, told the Associated Press (AP) that "this is something the two clubs have discussed for years with MLB".

"I've never been to London," said Yankees manager Aaron Boone. "So, if that's true, maybe I'm going to London. Anytime you can grow our game, I think that's a pretty cool thing."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Ohhhhhh I'm definitely gonna do my best to get tickets for this.. A dream come true if it happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Ohhhhhh I'm definitely gonna do my best to get tickets for this.. A dream come true if it happens...

If only it was the Mets. Still, count me in too

• Advertisement

I’m in 2 minds over this. I was very keen on idea when it was first rumored and one part of me thinks it’s great to see. But I’m not a fan of the NFL games in London as they pale in comparison to games in the States and I’m wondering will it be the same for this.

I’ll probably still look to go but I’d say tickets will be very hard to get. Hopefully they’d do a presale for MLB.tv subscribers or something.

I’m in 2 minds over this. I was very keen on idea when it was first rumored and one part of me thinks it’s great to see. But I’m not a fan of the NFL games in London as they pale in comparison to games in the States and I’m wondering will it be the same for this.

I’ll probably still look to go but I’d say tickets will be very hard to get. Hopefully they’d do a presale for MLB.tv subscribers or something.

Its an interesting point you made. A friend of mine is a big Dolphins fan. He's gone to a few games in Miami and a Dolphins game in London. The big difference he found was that in Miami the stadium was full of mainly Dolphin fans. In London it was predominately NFL fans. Which made for a very different dynamic.

He felt that in London, most of the spectators were there just for the event and less interested in the actually game, to the point were some people spent the entire match taking photos and selfies.

As the MLB has a much lower fanbase in Europe, so you may get less of the event junkies

ShyMets wrote: »

He felt that in London, most of the spectators were there just for the event and less interested in the actually game, to the point were some people spent the entire match taking photos and selfies.

I think that’ll be the big thing here, people there for the novelty factor. I know they have cricket there but baseball is a very slow game and I could see the ‘event’ crowd getting bored very quickly if they don’t know what’s going on.

I could also see them really overdoing the explanation of the game in between plays and around the stadium etc. which would get very annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I think that’ll be the big thing here, people there for the novelty factor. I know they have cricket there but baseball is a very slow game and I could see the ‘event’ crowd getting bored very quickly if they don’t know what’s going on.

I could also see them really overdoing the explanation of the game in between plays and around the stadium etc. which would get very annoying.

I personally think it would be a big drinking party. Lots would just go for the event
    I follow blue jays but would go over myself as my friend follows Boston, the guy that mentioned the NFL fans in london to Dolphins fans in Miami is how i feel it would be

I'm the same

I've only ever been to baseball in baseball parks in the US surrounded by people for whom baseball is second nature.

The idea of a game in a soccer stadium surrounded by people who are there for the "event" is not that appealing.

I'll wait till it's official and the pricing comes out to make a decision.

No doubt most people there will be calling it a "match" and it will be played on a "pitch"

It's not a "match" it's a "game" and it's played on a "field" not a "pitch"

Off topic rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Coeus

Is there any info out there on how the field will be configured? I've in the London Stadium for Athletics but I could imagine you could be miles away from the action depending on where home plate will be.

Most likely I will pass as like others I just don't think it would be the same as attending a game in the US. They are always a great experience and something I always look forward to when work or holidays take me across the big pond :)

Confirmed it seems

Reds Sox v Yankees 2 games in London 29th and 30th June 2019

https://www.rte.ie/sport/us-sport/2018/0508/961054-red-sox-and-yankees-to-clash-in-london/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

I'm wondering what the ticket prices will be???

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cosieman

My baseball club is thinking of going for a club activity.

June 29-30 confirmed with the 2019 schedule getting released today

• Advertisement

June 29-30 confirmed with the 2019 schedule getting released today

Still very much in two minds about this. The ticket price will have big bearing on my decision

Tickets for this start going on general sale for this on Dec 6th

No prices yet but here is a seating map and some some info

https://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/mitel-mlb-present-london-series-2019-saturday-ticket-london-29-06-2019/event/35005573B16749BD

Edit - tickets from £30 to £320.

https://www.mlb.com/london-series/faq?partnerId=ed-13258877-1070335613

Edit - tickets from £30 to £320.
    ]

Seems to be on a par and around the usual range for MLB games. Actually £320 is probably quite reasonable for a Yankees top price ticket, as ridiculous as that might sound.

Seems to be on a par and around the usual range for MLB games. Actually £320 is probably quite reasonable for a Yankees top price ticket, as ridiculous as that might sound.

Still in two minds about this. But leaning toward going.

Won't be forking out 320 for a ticket though

I tried looking for an interactive seating map of the London Stadium but can't find one.

I'd would not be able to afford expensive seats so I'd like to try and sus out what each category view was before deciding.

Anyone know of a good map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I tried looking for an interactive seating map of the London Stadium but can't find one.

I'd would not be able to afford expensive seats so I'd like to try and sus out what each category view was before deciding.

Anyone know of a good map.

I couldn't find a map but looking at photos and current layout, it looks like 130-142 would be the best bang for buck tickets. The problem with London Stadium is that the seating is relatively flat so you could be very far from the action, particularly in the 2xx seats.

I couldn't find a map but looking at photos and current layout, it looks like 130-142 would be the best bang for buck tickets. The problem with London Stadium is that the seating is relatively flat so you could be very far from the action, particularly in the 2xx seats.

Prices are now available
    Them 130-142 seats are £120.

35005573B16749BD

Found this
    This is section 222 which along with 250 is the cheapest set of seats in the house at £30
    222 is just at the end of the 1st base line, 250 the 3rd base line

The plate will be somewhere around the soccer "technical area" which you can see outlined

seat-854

This is 130, over near the bullpen on the 1st base side at £120

row-25

Found this
    This is section 222 which along with 250 is the cheapest set of seats in the house at £30
    222 is just at the end of the 1st base line, 250 the 3rd base line

The plate will be somewhere around the soccer "technical area" which you can see outlined

seat-854

This is 130, over near the bullpen on the 1st base side at £120

row-25

For some reason I cannot see the images I linked on the desktop site but I can on the mobile one

• Advertisement

Advertisement