Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-09-2015, 16:28   #46
degsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stheno View Post
POC in the bin
Wrong thread?
Advertisement
19-09-2015, 21:15   #47
Stheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by degsie View Post
Wrong thread?
Yeah lol it was the shock!

Anyways lads I've a question. The OH today absolved himself of his lack of interest last night, and paid enough attention that he had a question I couldn't answer.

He was trying to figure out how conversions get taken.
So I was able to say that the conversion is taken parallel to where the ball is grounded, but then he wanted to know why conversions for tries that go in between the posts are taken about five metres out, but ones for tries in a corner seem to be taken much further back at the edge of the 22.

Am I right in thinking that it's due to the fact you'd not convert from the corner five metres out?

Sorry if it's a stupid question.
19-09-2015, 21:24   #48
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Yeah lol it was the shock!

Anyways lads I've a question. The OH today absolved himself of his lack of interest last night, and paid enough attention that he had a question I couldn't answer.

So I was able to say that the conversion is taken parallel to where the ball is grounded, but then he wanted to know why conversions for tries that go in between the posts are taken about five metres out, but ones for tries in a corner seem to be taken much further back at the edge of the 22.

Am I right in thinking that it's due to the fact you'd not convert from the corner five metres out?

the further out you are, when your close to the side line, the better your angle
Thanks from:
19-09-2015, 21:26   #49
Stheno

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydthebeat View Post
the further out you are, when your close to the side line, the better your angle
Thanks

Can the kicker choose how far back they go? I.e. are there any set rules about it? That was the OHs real question
19-09-2015, 21:32   #50
Losty Dublin

Quote:

It isn't a stupid question at all.

A conversion holds it roots in the old day of rugby football. Back then the player who carried a ball to behind the goal line was them entitled to have "try" to kick a goal. If you scored your try was "converted" into a score. Where the ball crossed the line dictated where you placed the ball for your kick for goal. As the game evolved, both a try and a kick at goal became ways of scoring. However the conversion remained a score of it's own right, hence the phrase converted try.

On where to a kick can be taken, the ball may be parallel to where it was grounded or out towards the touch lines. It can be taken anywhere in the field of play as well. As a conversion can be charged down players sometimes bring the ball back a few yards to lessen the change of a block down if the mark is close to under the posts. For narrow angles, bringing it back gives a kicker a bit more angle to work with for a kick.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-09-2015, 21:33   #51
.ak

Quote:
Thanks

Can the kicker choose how far back they go? I.e. are there any set rules about it? That was the OHs real question
Yeah the kicker chooses how far they can take it back.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2015, 21:51   #52
The Lost Sheep

Quote:
Thanks

Kicker chooses how far back the kick is taking. For wider kicks they go back further as helps the angle. Has to be in line with where try is scored
Thanks from:
19-09-2015, 22:39   #53

Not a playing rules question but is there a limit on the amount of non-native players allowed in rugby teams?

The Japanese win was fantastic but one poster earlier raised a fair point about the players qualifying under residency, and it taking away from the experience a bit.
19-09-2015, 23:01   #54
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sever Tomorrow View Post
Not a playing rules question but is there a limit on the amount of non-native players allowed in rugby teams?

The Japanese win was fantastic but one poster earlier raised a fair point about the players qualifying under residency, and it taking away from the experience a bit.
Have they any more than France?
Advertisement
20-09-2015, 01:40   #55
Flipper22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sever Tomorrow View Post

No limit on non-natives as long as they're properly qualified either through ancestry or residency of three years.

I think it's actually surprising how few 'non-natives' the Japanese have in the team given the proximity to NZ and the south sea Islands and the money in the japanese game. Seems like the majority of them are fully japanese, and even some guys like Veitch moved there when he was 15. They don't have many 'project' type players, about the same as we do I think.
(3) thanks from:
23-09-2015, 13:27   #56
shrapnel222

Anyone know if it is obligatory for the hooker to throw in the lineout ball?
23-09-2015, 13:28   #57
.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel222 View Post
Nope. It can be anyone.

At lower levels you might actually notice a non-hooker throwing in.

Sean O'Brien has thrown in for Ireland and Leinster before, however that's been due to injury and/or yellow card situation.
Thanks from:
23-09-2015, 13:34   #58
sydthebeat
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapnel222 View Post
as above nope,
and another thing... its not obligatory that the scrum half stands in the receiver position (2 meters back) to receive a line out, you often see a forward stand in with the SH withdrawing 10 meters.
23-09-2015, 14:51   #59
Stheno

This is not really a rules question, but this thread is probably the best thread to ask it in.

The ref cams that the refs wear, do they have some sort of padding so that if the ref were to fall heavily on their fronts, they are protected from a chest injury due to the cam?
23-09-2015, 15:33   #60
Losty Dublin

Quote:
This is not really a rules question, but this thread is probably the best thread to ask it in.

The ref cams that the refs wear, do they have some sort of padding so that if the ref were to fall heavily on their fronts, they are protected from a chest injury due to the cam?
The cams are quite small. They are well strapped in and on and unlikely to cause an injury. Were they to pose any risk then Would Rugby wouldn't allow referees to wear them.

Last edited by Losty Dublin; 23-09-2015 at 16:24.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion