Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equality of marriage and love

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,201 ✭✭✭✭Penn

freyners wrote: »
    I'm not following the article at all when it says this

surely this just maintains the status quo if silly ethos reason is left in

I think it means you can't be fired for being LGBT, but when it comes to religion class etc, you still have to toe the party line and say only marriage between a man and a woman in a religious ceremony is right etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,769 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bad Horse wrote: »
    I think it means you can't be fired for being LGBT, but when it comes to religion class etc, you still have to toe the party line and say only marriage between a man and a woman in a religious ceremony is right etc.

FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

Thanks very much, was struggling to figure it out.

Still bull**** but more preferable than the carry on at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

Wow! hey it is a step forward at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Apparently my grandparents aren't talking after Friday, had to laugh, as more accurately my granddad is probably just being wise and avoiding my granny. Couldn't say for sure who voted what, but she's a fairly strict Catholic and I always got the feeling he went along with it for an easy life :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Was anyone listening to The Last Word just now? Cal Thomas is so frustratingly thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭smokingman

Was anyone listening to The Last Word just now? Cal Thomas is so frustratingly thick.

I was. He has a history of bigotry that fella. Good friend of Pat Robinson I think I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/no-side-say-they-are-open-to-second-referendum-1.2220115

So, who would like to go at it again? Honestly, this moronic woman should be kicked out of her job. She is clueless.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Gintonious wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/no-side-say-they-are-open-to-second-referendum-1.2220115

So, who would like to go at it again? Honestly, this moronic woman should be kicked out of her job. She is clueless.

If somebody and told me the no side where looking to do that I would have sniggered abit and said the no side surely couldn't be that desperate and pathetic.

But no, it seems they actually can be.

They are utterly pathetic at this stage

In her defence (never thought I'd say that), that was from a few days before the referendum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

In her defence (never thought I'd say that), that was from a few days before the referendum.

I can't imagine she would be as open to it had they won.

I can't imagine she would be as open to it had they won.

I think they'd have been open to anything that stopped short of actual equality. Anything that said "You're equal and we fully support everyone but stay the hell away from marriage and family"

All they cared about is putting up their wall. They wouldn't care how close people got to it so long as they didn't get on their side of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I see the Catholic Church has awoken from its slumber/huff and come out with this clanger:

"Vatican Calls Irish Referendum a Defeat for Humanity"

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/religion-and-beliefs/vatican-calls-irish-referendum-a-defeat-for-humanity-1.2226957

Honestly, officially defecting from the Catholic Church back when CountMeOut was making that possible and before they closed the exit options, was the probably one of the best decisions I've ever made in my entire life. This confirms it absolutely to me.

I am just disgusted at that statement. The 'yes' result was a massive win for humanity, reason, compassion, empathy and acceptance of reality!

They bang on about "love they neighbour" when in reality they mean "judge they neighbour".

I don't know how anyone could call this anything other than very thinly veiled homophobia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,823 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I didn't bother visiting my parents this weekend.

See? It's already damaging the family!

The change of attitude is to be welcomed it's the hypocrisy thats sickening.

Yes isn't it odd all the people defending civil partnership last week were vehemently against it five years ago.

robindch wrote: »
    Legislation on school and hospital staff to be amended to prohibit discrimination based on sexuality

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/legislation-on-school-and-hospital-staff-to-be-amended-1.2224454

Posted on this in the school patronage thread. So gay teachers will be protected - yay - atheist teachers won't be, and kids not of the 'right' religion can still be denied a school place for that reason alone.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Mod: Regarding the chatter concerning the alleged shifting of our politicians - chilllllllllllax folks - it's a nice day out and I'd hate to have to reach into the drawer near my desk for my pack of yellow + red cards.

Thanking youze.
    Out of curiousity boss, why is the drawer 'near' your desk and not 'in' your desk?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Out of curiousity boss, why is the drawer 'near' your desk and not 'in' your desk?

Filing cabinet because the big ban hammer needs a big drawer.

• Moderators Posts: 51,707 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Vatican calls Irish referendum a ‘defeat for humanity’
    The Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, has called the result of the Irish same-sex marriage equality referendum a “defeat for humanity”.

Until Tuesday night, there had been no official Holy See reaction to the Yes vote in the referendum.

When that reaction finally came from Cardinal Parolin, the Vatican equivalent of prime minister, it was nothing if not hardline and outspoken:

“This result left me feeling very sad but as the Archbishop of Dublin [Diarmuid Martin] pointed out, the Church will have to take this reality on board in the sense of a renewed and strengthened evangelisation. I believe that we are talking here not just about a defeat for Christian principles but also about a defeat for humanity,” Cardinal Parolin told reporters on the margins of a Centesimus Annus conference in the Vatican.

Cardinal Parolin did not further explain the terms of this “defeat for humanity”, but his observations are a logical extension of Catholic doctrine, which teaches that the practise of homosexuality is a sin.

'Defeat for humanity'? Well at least they had a measured response to the referendum. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

SW wrote: »

'Defeat for humanity'? Well at least they had a measured response to the referendum. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    This result left me feeling very sad but as the Archbishop of Dublin [Diarmuid Martin] pointed out, the Church will have to take this reality on board in the sense of a renewed and strengthened evangelisation.

Yes, read that yesterday. Loving this quote as it shows up professional fence-sitter Diarmuid Martin's farcical speechifying (immediately after the result) for the forked tongue bollix that it was. The above quote is what he meant the Vatican to hear, but what many people in Ireland took from it was that he would be behind a whole rethink of the RCC approach. Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

From a "long-game" perspective, that kind of quote is absolutely the kind of thing that I enjoy seeing from the RCC.
    Defeat for Humanity

Ties in extraordinarily well with this thread in the Christianity forum.

Poisonous stuff from the top of the chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

SW wrote: »

The Pope can always call for a Crusade. He still has that sort of influence doesn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

SpaceTime wrote: »
    I see the Catholic Church has awoken from its slumber/huff and come out [...]
    On the plus side, it's a clear indication that they're very rattled indeed.

As you ask, because the (bottom) drawer where I keep a supply of red and yellow cards is part of a separate pedestal unit near my desk, not beneath it:

350110.JPG

That cable is a trip hazard. You should yellow card yourself. :P

That cable is a trip hazard. You should yellow card yourself. :P
    A well-made point, but I must respectfully submit that it's actually the charging cable for my phone which usually sits on my desk, plugged in, so the cable usually never touches the floor. The phone is only unplugged when heading out. Or as in this case, taking photos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As you ask, because the (bottom) drawer where I keep a supply of red and yellow cards is part of a separate pedestal unit near my desk, not beneath it:

350110.JPG

I don't mean to ruffle your feathers boss, what with you having a drawer full of cards and everything,but with the industrial blue carpet and everthing it must be a nightmare to have to spend 8 hours a day cooped up like that. If I wasn't able to be out everyday in the fresh air meeting & greeting I could possibly see a situation where I might even become a non believer-perish the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Brace yourselves, the moronic stereotypes are coming.

Once we all get our designer gay babies, it'll cheer everyone up. That *is* what we voted for wasn't it? Fabulous gay designer babies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Still waiting for them to talk about how they were considering not covering the civil part of marriage. Arent they going to tell us they are full of **** or do we just assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

sjR3G6s.jpg

• Advertisement

[...] must be a nightmare to have to spend 8 hours a day cooped up like that [...]
    Don't worry - there are plenty of compensations to the occasional day at the keyboard :)
    If I wasn't able to be out everyday in the fresh air meeting & greeting I could possibly see a situation where I might even become a non believer-perish the thought.
    Must be a nightmare believing you'll spend eternity in a pit of flame if you don't believe exactly the right thing; being prudishly concerned at the sex lives of others; excusing or ignoring the appalling activities of the church; having to listen to a bunch of elderly, supposedly sexless men talking about sex; having to believe so much rubbish. And so on :rolleyes:

Advertisement