Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk - Breakfast Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭mikep

I seem to be in a minority here but I can't stand Ivan.
    He really believes in the idea that he somehow still has the inside track on all goings on in Leinster Hse, particulalry in FG although he hasn't been involved in a meaningful way in almost 15 years.
    He is quite happy to deride all and sundry but don't dare mention his €74 k pension.
    The overwhelming impression I get is that his ego is massive and all he says is gospel and anyone who disagrees is a gob****e.
    I don't think he adds anything to the show and I'd listen more if he was gone.
    At the mo. I only switch over to the show for the paper review as I used to listen more but he drove me to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I've heard Ivan say this before and he mentions it in his book so it may explain his radio 'personality'. He was coached by Carr Communications when he first went into media work a few years ago and Anton Savage told him that he had to be entertaining and say something memorable. Otherwise no one would remember who he was as he would be too bland and that's not how to play the game. He doesn't make any excuses and doesn't pretend that he's a journalist - I think he's the perfect foil to Chris and they work well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Chris' forced way of making sure he pronounces every letter in a word is irritating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭Crumbs868

Was this week the first sign of Chris's burnout? Took the week off from breakfast show but continued presenting late news on utv? Can't be easy finishing work at utv so late and up so early the next morning for breakfast show.

Maybe sees his future on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Crumbs868 wrote: »
    Can't be easy finishing work at utv so late and up so early the next morning for breakfast show.

Pretty punishing schedule aye. Maybe sleeping during the day is the way to go for someone with those working hours...

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I see their figures are up 31% yoy (12% alone last quarter). I enjoy Ivan & wonder if he's shines on Hook's seat when he goes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I see their figures are up 31% yoy (12% alone last quarter). I enjoy Ivan & wonder if he's shines on Hook's seat when he goes.

You'd wonder would they want to mess with Breakfast right now, when it seems to be working well. Would they risk breaking up the partnership when it's been proven in the past that there is little appetite for it (see Norah Casey...).

If they brought Matt Cooper over to Hook's slot, they'd have a pretty unbeatable line-up 7am-7pm in terms of talk radio IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Bellerstring

Is that yer wan who does the radio ad for to switch to Eircell electricity or something?
    You know, Angel feathers and Chopras and stuff...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Pretty punishing schedule aye. Maybe sleeping during the day is the way to go for someone with those working hours...

Its not really. 5 am to maybe 12pm. Then 8pm to 11:30 ish. No worse than a split shift that any other worker would do.

He can easily get a full 8 hrs sleep during the day. I have a feeling his house move a while ago was to make the double job easier. He seems very career driven so he made a decision to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Its not really. 5 am to maybe 12pm. Then 8pm to 11:30 ish. No worse than a split shift that any other worker would do.

He can easily get a full 8 hrs sleep during the day. I have a feeling his house move a while ago was to make the double job easier. He seems very career driven so he made a decision to do this.

You can't compare doing two live high profile Broadcasting jobs to "a split shift that any other worker would do". It's not like stacking shelves in Supervalu. He will burn out very quickly if he keeps up both gigs.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    You can't compare doing two live high profile Broadcasting jobs to "a split shift that any other worker would do". It's not like stacking shelves in Supervalu. He will burn out very quickly if he keeps up both gigs.

Come on, something like a junior doctor doing 36 hr shifts, now that would cause burn out.

Reading from a prompter and listening to Ivan isn't life of death;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

A former Justice Minister reviewing 50 Shades of Gray.

Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    A former Justice Minister reviewing 50 Shades of Gray.

Ireland.

In France it would be an autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Ivan said they've got a new full-time business guy starting, thought it a bit odd that Bobby Kerr was getting up at silly a.m. to do it put fair play to him for filling in I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I heard the yes/no debates about the marriage referendum on Friday and this morning. I am for marriage equality but at the same time I felt the two speakers we not treated equally.

Last week the yes speaker was giving a fairly free run to talk but this morning whatever priest they had on was questioned and debated more by Chris. He seems to find it quite difficult to have a neutral point on most things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

mloc123 wrote: »
    I heard the yes/no debates about the marriage referendum on Friday and this morning. I am for marriage equality but at the same time I felt the two speakers we not treated equally.

Last week the yes speaker was giving a fairly free run to talk but this morning whatever priest they had on was questioned and debated more by Chris. He seems to find it quite difficult to have a neutral point on most things.

The bishop said today the jury is out on whether people are born gay or not. He then said that when some young people have trouble, they experiment with being gay and then went on to say that he had struggled with his own sexuality.

Just mad stuff really and mostly illogical and bigoted. What was Chris supposed to do? I thought he handled it quite well and let the bishop reveal his true bigotry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

The bishop said today the jury is out on whether people are born gay or not. He then said that when some young people have trouble, they experiment with being gay and then went on to say that he had struggled with his own sexuality.

Just mad stuff really and mostly illogical and bigoted. What was Chris supposed to do? I thought he handled it quite well and let the bishop reveal his true bigotry.

Chris's job as a journalist is to report and not become emotionally involved, charged and biased as he did. Whatever the bishop had to say, in your opinion being as bigoted, illogical or mad is totally irrelevant as to what Chris donoghues job in reporting on what should be a balanced debate.

He should've learned something from the slap on the wrist the BAI gave him a few months back for this. No doubt he works hard but he's a very poor journalist that seeks nothing more than to be liked on the airwaves and will scream the populist viewpoint from the rooftops on the airwaves in order to increase his popularity. He relishes in the Yeats bad cop role for this reason. He's a serious bottom drawer journo in my opinion.

It really doesn't matter whether his viewpoint is right or wrong, it's the job he has to do and he fails miserably in every single interview he does because of his inability to separate his emotions and thirst for acceptance and popularity with the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Chris's job as a journalist is to report and not become emotionally involved, charged and biased as he did. Whatever the bishop had to say, in your opinion being as bigoted, illogical or mad is totally irrelevant as to what Chris donoghues job in reporting on what should be a balanced debate.

He should've learned something from the slap on the wrist the BAI gave him a few months back for this. No doubt he works hard but he's a very poor journalist that seeks nothing more than to be liked on the airwaves and will scream the populist viewpoint from the rooftops on the airwaves in order to increase his popularity. He relishes in the Yeats bad cop role for this reason. He's a serious bottom drawer journo in my opinion.

It really doesn't matter whether his viewpoint is right or wrong, it's the job he has to do and he fails miserably in every single interview he does because of his inability to separate his emotions and thirst for acceptance and popularity with the public.

I thought he was quite reserved and could have been a lot tougher on the bishop - so much of what he said was illogical, baseless and bigoted. Journalists are meant to give tough interviews, especially if the interviewee is coming out with illogical nonsense. The same can't be said for the Yes campaigner. Could you imagine a Yes campaigner saying the jury is out on being born straight.

A lot of people found what was said by the bishop as offensive. I think this is the bigger issue than Chris' interviewing style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I was forced to listen to this show (on the bus) for the first time ever this morning and really they need to cut out the tiresome pre rehearsed banter and Yates banging on about Man Utd like anyone gives 2 sh1ts.Terribly unprofessional in my opinion for a man in his 50's on current affairs show to be sneering about a soccer team in england losing .You'd expect a 16 year old to behave like that.

I have to say i'm impressed with how Chris tackled the SF justice spokesman.

On a side note, SF justice spokesman is as credible as a Nazi "we love jews" spokesman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Won't be long before someone comes along to complain about how hard a time poor SF reps are given on the show.

That guy re the hash was a complete joke, i was caught with 2.5kg of hash..............eh eh it was personal consumption.

I've heard of stocking up on baked beans, shampoo or toliet roll but 5.5 pounds of hash:rolleyes:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Won't be long before someone comes along to complain about how hard a time poor SF reps are given on the show.

SF certainly get a much more aggressive tone and line of questioning on the show than any other party.. and I really dislike SF.

I always laugh every time Chris starts on the "Was Gerry Adams a member of the IRA?" question. In the last 20 years many much better journalists have tried, I don't think he is going to be the one to crack that case.

I don't think it's his intention to get an answer, but rather to see how the interviewee tackles it. And it's been interesting hearing how the various members confront the question.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't think it's his intention to get an answer, but rather to see how the interviewee tackles it. And it's been interesting hearing how the various members confront the question.

Generally they all stick to the usual shinnerbot script?

mloc123 wrote: »
    Generally they all stick to the usual shinnerbot script?

Yeah, although some go straight into it, others give it some consideration as to how they answer it, if at all, and others you get the impression know that any answer other than yes is a fairy tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

Chris' forced way of making sure he pronounces every letter in a word is irritating.

THIS.IS.INDEED.A.CORRECT.STATEMENT.INDEED.

HA!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,102 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Chris keeps saying Mother-in-laws. Get him off the bloody radio!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,026 ✭✭✭✭neris

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Chris keeps saying Mother-in-laws. Get him off the bloody radio!

Ah he,d be grand saying that in the middle east and pakistan

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The whole mother in law thing on Newstalk Breakfast the last few mornings is silly. It's a news programme, not a Les Dawson tribute show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement