Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-08-2018, 03:12   #151
Daved_XB

The shed is 14.5m wide & 10m deep... the height at the low point which is the top of the front hanger doors is 3.5m & the apex height is a little over 4.5m
Advertisement
04-08-2018, 03:19   #152
Hunky Monster

Holy ****ing ****, this thread!
Thanks from:
04-08-2018, 05:59   #153
quietsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daved_XB View Post
The shed is 14.5m wide & 10m deep... the height at the low point which is the top of the front hanger doors is 3.5m & the apex height is a little over 4.5m
Thank you for those dimensions, I won't get that into my garden but at least I can visualise it now.
11-11-2018, 22:18   #154
rockatansky

Sitting here watching 'Chopper' and the scene where Chopper shoots Sammy the Turk in the car park of BoJangles Nightclub, there's 3 Falcon XB's in the car park and suddenly reminded of this thread!

How's she coming along Dave?
Thanks from:
07-01-2019, 04:23   #155
Daved_XB

Thanks for checking in.... long story short I've not really done anything in the shed for the last few months... I've just started back on the cars & you'll start to see some thread updates coming soon... but this one will be a few weeks away whilst I get some other stuff on the other cars done first...
Advertisement
24-01-2019, 10:04   #156
Tommyboy40

How have I not spotted this thread before. You have much skill and even more determination. Fantastic work and I'm eagerly awaiting updates
24-01-2019, 14:36   #157
Standard Toaster

Well worth following Dave's Challenger project too so:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...p?t=2057177969
Thanks from:
17-07-2019, 07:24   #158
Daved_XB

I’ve had some more parts turn up for the XB this week… I’ve been working hard on the Dodge Challenger (look for a thread update this week) & so as that car is getting closer to going for paint the closer I am to getting back into this car full on.

The company I’d bought all the suspension bits from have finally engineered a new single billet solid lower front control arm, this is a very nice bit of kit & as with a lot of the bits of these cars, almost too good to hide them away under the car.

You may remember when looking at the underside of the car, the seat support braces where all smashed in from years of poor jack placements & hitting rocks etc… one of the benefits of me being so slow & slack with this car is that more & more parts are getting made.

Also the same company make a new front crossmember section… I had repaired mine but I wasn’t happy with it really & this new one had a section of 7mm thick plate built into it so it will never buckle again when jacking.. so I’ll have to remove that section again.

17-07-2019, 08:15   #159
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Yay he's back!!
Advertisement
17-07-2019, 16:43   #160
K.Flyer

So Weird!!
I was doing a spring clean unfollowing older dead threads last night and hovered over this one for a second, but then thought "..Nah, he'll be back, and I want to see it finished"
And today... new posts!
Thanks from:
22-07-2019, 06:02   #161
Daved_XB

Right, so I’ve changed my mind again… I had decided that I would focus on the Challenger only & leave the XB until such time as the Challenger had gone to paint… now I’ve flipped on that again & decided to work on both side by side again, after all a change is as a good as a rest as they say..

First job… pull the old girl out of resting place in the corner

I can’t believe how well this rotisserie rolls with the car on it, it took me 2 minutes on my own to swing the car around & place it where I wanted it… genuinely took longer to sweep the floor clean before moving it back

The next step is very much a 2 person job & in fact could do with a 3rd.. spun the car back up at 90 deg to give me full access to the underside of the car

The first job I want to tackle is replacing the bottom of the front crossmember, I had repaired the original section a while back & it currently looks like this

The new replacement piece is way thicker & much heavier duty for jacking up off & the likes

First step is drilling out the spot welds & start to pry the plate away from the crossmember

(3) thanks from:
22-07-2019, 06:03   #162
Daved_XB

With that off we can compare the old & new on the bench

Separating bits like this always leaves the metal a little bend out of shape

A little hammer & dolly work is needed to get everything back to through & straight

Then I coated it all in rust thru primer as getting in behind there in the future may be difficult

Took the black paint off the new piece & coated it too ready to be clamped on & welded

Then just tidy up the welds & apply a top coat of primer

22-07-2019, 06:33   #163
Daved_XB

The next bits I’m looking to replace are the seat support sections that are smashed up pretty badly.. from what I assume was a lot of ill planned jacking over the years & perhaps even some dukes of hazard style off roading who knows

The new reproduced panel is a great bit of kit, it looks great & fits up well

Removal is the same process as above for the other section, drill out the spot welds & then start gently prying the section away from the body

With that off you can see that underneath it needs to be cleaned up & prepped

Lets compare old & new on the bench

Then a quick test fit to see how much work will be needed to fit this up before I call it quits for the night

This side at least looks like it will be very easy to fit up… happy days
24-07-2019, 12:45   #164
Standard Toaster

Makes my day when I seen updates to this thread. I love seeing the old girl getting restored.

(Apologies to followers of the thread for a non-XB Falcon update!)
(2) thanks from:
01-08-2019, 03:48   #165
Daved_XB

I cleaned up the years of dirt & grime plus the original ford paint off the floor section that was under the section I just removed.

There was a section of floor damaged that caused a rip when I was fighting to get the part off, so I welded that tear up (you can see the blue discoloured section) but left the drilled hole as I’ll use that for one of the plug welds when I’m fitting the new section.

I also decided that I would not just rely on the factory method of joining the floor to the inner sill, Ford just used spot welds where the floor turns up at 90 degs & sits against the sill. To that end I’ve decided to stitch weld the join of the floor to the sill under the car.

I’ve also decided to stich or seam weld if you like the torque boxes to the floor

Hope to get out into the shed on the weekend & finish the seam/stitch welding & also weld on the seat support crossmember & then if I can phone a friend I’ll look to flip the car over 180 on the rotisserie so that I can get to the other side easier rather than working close to the shed floor to do the other side.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion