Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-11-2013, 08:14   #31
slowburner

Some work on the acoustics of megalithic tombs was undertaken by Aaron Watson at Maeshowe in 2007 (?) - with mixed results.
Quote:
In the chamber, the behaviour of sound was seen to be considerably different from that of the outside world, with the ancient stone walls amplifying noise to create a variety of audio effects.
http://www.orkneyjar.com/history/tom...bacoustics.htm

Quote:
It seems unlikely that Maeshowe was intentionally constructed to create infrasound. Helmholtz Resonance is most likely an accidental by-product of the passage grave format, and enhanced by the precision of the stone walling.
http://www.monumental.uk.com/site/re.../maeshowe.html
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
07-11-2013, 09:53   #32
Coles

Great link. Thanks.
Thanks from:
07-11-2013, 16:21   #33
cfuserkildare

Archeoastronomy

Can anybody confirm if Pre-session has been factored into the age of most Irish sites that involve Sun/Moon worship?

Bit of a noob question i know but still had to ask it.
08-11-2013, 22:20   #34
bawn79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfuserkildare View Post
Can anybody confirm if Pre-session has been factored into the age of most Irish sites that involve Sun/Moon worship?

Bit of a noob question i know but still had to ask it.
No it doesn't(I'm open to correction) - precession only affects the star constellations that rise and set in the "sights" of a monument such as Newgrange. The sun and moon pretty much are in the same positions. I'm not an astronomer though. I've just got a book which is basically "Alexander Thom for Dummies" and it is still proving difficult.
11-11-2013, 10:35   #35
cfuserkildare

ArcheoAstronomy

Surely if the Earths axis wobbles by as much as 2degrees then it must affect the marking positions of both the Sun and the Moon?

Graham Hancock makes a big deal of this in his books.
Advertisement
11-11-2013, 12:08   #36
dublinviking

how about this:

The Rolling Sun of Boheh

Quote:
There is a pilgrimage route running from Ballintober Abbey to the summit of Croagh Patrick. It probably extends back east to Rathcroghan, the palace of Queen Maeve, the Iron Age ruler of Connaught. Westport researcher Gerry Bracken was cataloging monuments in the Westport area when he came across an unusual site, known as St Patrick's Chair, or the Boheh Stone which is located on the pilgrimage trail south east of Croagh Patrick. The sequence of photos below was taken in 2000. At the bottom of the page is a more up to date image by Ken Williams.

This monument is covered in cup and ring marks, and turns out to be the only known example in Connaught, as well as one of the finest examples in Ireland. Gerry discovered that on two days in the year, the setting sun, when viewed from this spot, touches the summit of the Mountain, then proceeds to 'roll' down the northern slope. The angle of the Mountain's side matches the declination (setting angle) of the sun at this time and place.
http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/croa...RollingSun.gif

http://www.carrowkeel.com/sites/croa...ick/reek2.html
(3) thanks from:
11-11-2013, 21:10   #37
bawn79

Quote:
Surely if the Earths axis wobbles by as much as 2degrees then it must affect the marking positions of both the Sun and the Moon?

Graham Hancock makes a big deal of this in his books.
In fairness I think most of Graham Hancocks books deal with the setting / rising of stars. Leo over the Sphinx that kind of thing.
11-11-2013, 21:14   #38
bawn79

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinviking View Post
Thanks Dublinviking - I was lucky enough to see this back in 2007 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT-cBNdQY80.

Obviously Kens video is much better!
12-11-2013, 09:16   #39
cfuserkildare

Archeoastronomy

If I remember correctly is his theory not more oriented around the Precession of the Equinoxes?
Advertisement
12-11-2013, 11:16   #40
bawn79

Quote:
If I remember correctly is his theory not more oriented around the Precession of the Equinoxes?
I haven't read his books in years - so I'm not sure. Like I said I'm not an astronomer I'm afraid. Just interested in it and with a very basic knowledge.

I guess it also depends on whether you think alignments are high precision or symbolic in accuracy.

This might be of interest for precision alignments http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/chronicle/8604.shtml
12-11-2013, 13:24   #41
cfuserkildare

ArcheoAstronomy

I think the Precession thing, like I asked initially is more relevant to the positioning or orientation of things like the light-box at Newgrange.

There are many other monuments around the world with what appear to be light boxes, but do not align with the sun or moons current position.
This is where Precession may be used to date monuments.

Not the best description I am making here, but basically if the position of either the sun or the moon has moved by the currently calculated amount, then quite a few of these other monuments would align, therefor the monuments may be much older than previously claimed.
12-11-2013, 16:07   #42
bawn79

Quote:
I think the Precession thing, like I asked initially is more relevant to the positioning or orientation of things like the light-box at Newgrange.

There are many other monuments around the world with what appear to be light boxes, but do not align with the sun or moons current position.
This is where Precession may be used to date monuments.

Not the best description I am making here, but basically if the position of either the sun or the moon has moved by the currently calculated amount, then quite a few of these other monuments would align, therefor the monuments may be much older than previously claimed.
I'm not sure about that cfuserkildare - as far as I can make out precession doesn't affect things that much. For example if it did - then the light affect at Newgrange wouldn't work at all. Like I said - I'm no astronomer. Perhaps we should ask the astronomy section on here and see what they think.

Actually I just searched and this was their thoughts on it.
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=71210399
Thanks from:
12-11-2013, 22:28   #43
cfuserkildare

ArcheoAstronomy

Quote from Wikipedia

"Axial precession is the movement of the rotational axis of an astronomical body, whereby the axis slowly traces out a cone. In the case of Earth, this type of precession is also known as the precession of the equinoxes, lunisolar precession, or precession of the equator. Earth goes through one such complete precessional cycle in a period of approximately 26,000 years or 1° every 72 years, during which the positions of stars will slowly change in both equatorial coordinates and ecliptic longitude. Over this cycle, Earth's north axial pole moves from where it is now, within 1° of Polaris, in a circle around the ecliptic pole, with an angular radius of about 23.5 degrees."

So from what I can figure, there must be some consequence surely?
12-11-2013, 23:26   #44
AngryHippie

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rc...84385021191176

Not to objects within the solar system.
ie. the sun.
13-11-2013, 09:17   #45
cfuserkildare

ArcheoAstronomy

Quote " Not to objects within the solar system.
ie. the sun. "

If the Earth wobbles on its own axis, how does the relative position of the Sun not change?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion