Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 04:10   #346
TomOnBoard
Registered User
 
TomOnBoard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
AAST discusses 5 alternatives. But once again, I would exercise caution. Best to discuss these with your health care professional before doing anything.
Your alternatives are exactly the type of thing I was told years ago, before being told that the CPAP was my only usable option. And that was fine for the time

What I have posted is a link to a treatment that goes beyond anything I was advised about, and wasn't even mentioned in your list of alternatives. .. clearly it is newer than anything I was offered or than you can suggest as an alternative to CPAP.

By all means, anyone embarking on something like this should only do so under medical supervision; that said, as a new ttreatment, it may offer huge benefit to people for whom CPAP and the alternatives you listed simply don't work. I say that we should inform everyone of the possibility. ..
TomOnBoard is offline  
Advertisement
08-03-2019, 23:35   #347
Fathom
Moderator
 
Fathom's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomOnBoard View Post

By all means, anyone embarking on something like this should only do so under medical supervision
Agree.
Fathom is offline  
03-04-2019, 14:15   #348
Boulevardier
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,266
My consultant only mentioned surgery as a possible alternative to CPAP. The other alternatives mentioned here were not discussed.
Boulevardier is offline  
22-07-2019, 23:45   #349
FaganJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Where do People get their masks/supplies etc online??
If they don't get them from their CPAP provider?
Thanks.
FaganJr is offline  
23-07-2019, 00:43   #350
GadgetGeek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44
Not sure how legit it is but it works for me. You need the following:
Get a UK VPN (easiest is to add an extension to chrome Hola use the following https://www.google.ie/search?client=...71.w1Y_z-1AWcE
)
Setup parcel motel with UK address in Newtownards and forward to your home address. Go to the following with VPN activated. Shop to your hearts content. Using Parcel Motel address. Doesn’t matter that your Credit Card address is outside UK. Always select for the no VAT option as it is a medical requirement. Best value and no problem with returning for any parts.
https://mysleep.resmed.com/GB/en/
GadgetGeek is offline  
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-08-2019, 09:16   #351
Masala
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,329
Hi all.... am paying monthly to rent a machine and feel it's time to look at this cost. Currently paying €100 a month .. but this gives me free repairs and an annual replacement of mask and hosing free.

If I buy the machine (€500) outright.... what kind of costs am I looking at for replacing the mask, hose etc.

If I had a problem with the machine... is there an Irish company specialising in repairs.

What is the consensus out there.... buy or rent??
Masala is offline  
11-08-2019, 09:38   #352
Odyssey 2005
Registered User
 
Odyssey 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,268
If you only get 6 .months out of the machine you're winning. Theres post 1 ot 2 back about masks from the uk
I also pay neatly €100 but get reimbursed on the dps scheme. If that wasnt the case I'd certainly be buying a machine.
Odyssey 2005 is offline  
11-08-2019, 17:27   #353
FaganJr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey 2005
If you only get 6 .months out of the machine you're winning. Theres post 1 ot 2 back about masks from the uk I also pay neatly €100 but get reimbursed on the dps scheme. If that wasnt the case I'd certainly be buying a machine.

I don't get what you mean by 6 months? Are you saying 500 X 2 Vs 100 X 12.
If so that's tight margins.
My machine is about 1000 , but I pay 86 p/m but I pay for replacement mask etc.
FaganJr is offline  
11-08-2019, 20:43   #354
Murt10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 957
Absolute no brainer for you not to buy your own machine.

I have my current one 6 - 7 years. Never had a problem with it, then again, why should there be. It's basically a just a very expensive vacuum cleaner. that works in reverse.

Don't mind all that auld sh1te that the companies supplying the equipment talk about, if anything breaks down, free mask etc. All they are concerned about is maximising their profit. It's what companies so. It is their sole reason for existence.

If the machine breaks down in the first couple of years, it's covered under the Sale of Goods Act and wasn't of merchantable quality to start with. Therefore they are obliged to repair or replace it, and as it's a life threatening condition that you are suffering from, and it's their machine that's broken down, you can insist on a replacement machine, while they are repairing it.

Look at the business model and the figures for the industry

Each company has a franchise on an particular machine. They sell you a new machine for between E800 - to 1200. You can be sure that there is a 100% markup for the supplier. So it costs him say 500 for the machine. Headgear and mask, costs you another 150, so he gets it for 100 max.

Total cost to him for the machine and gear is a maximum of E600 which is a one off cost.

He rents that to you at E100 per month and after 6 months everything is paid for in full. He gets E600 for the rest of th year. Fair enough, he needs to make some money.

Roll along year 2. He gets E1,200 off you and the cost of a new mask is 100. Now that's what you call a business model. E1,000 off each of his customers, in pure profit, for doing absolutely nothing!!!

Most people won't even come looking for a new mask until the one they are using starts to leak. Unissued mask and headgear = more profit.

It's even better for them, if they supply it to someone with a medical card. State guaranteed payer and profit. I spoke with several medical card holders who have Sleep Apnea and who find the machine and the mask uncomfortable at night, so they don't use it. The HSE still pays the company E1,200 PA for a machine that's not being used.

If the HSE was a proper business, they would tender on an annual basis for the supply of the machines and go with the one that came in cheapest. But they are not a business and are happy being ripped off.

No wonder the health service is in the state its in.
Murt10 is offline  
Advertisement
11-08-2019, 20:47   #355
corwill
Registered User
 
corwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 3,652
Rental is a great way to try the treatment out, but if it's working for you, and you can afford to, I'd recommend buying outright. I got nearly 7+ years out of my machine before deciding to upgrade and retire it to back up status (rather than waiting for it to give up the ghost and being stuck without).
corwill is offline  
13-08-2019, 23:32   #356
Fathom
Moderator
 
Fathom's Avatar
Reading this thread has been informative.
Fathom is offline  
14-08-2019, 01:14   #357
Odyssey 2005
Registered User
 
Odyssey 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt10 View Post
Absolute no brainer for you not to buy your own machine.

I have my current one 6 - 7 years. Never had a problem with it, then again, why should there be. It's basically a just a very expensive vacuum cleaner. that works in reverse.

Don't mind all that auld sh1te that the companies supplying the equipment talk about, if anything breaks down, free mask etc. All they are concerned about is maximising their profit. It's what companies so. It is their sole reason for existence.

If the machine breaks down in the first couple of years, it's covered under the Sale of Goods Act and wasn't of merchantable quality to start with. Therefore they are obliged to repair or replace it, and as it's a life threatening condition that you are suffering from, and it's their machine that's broken down, you can insist on a replacement machine, while they are repairing it.

Look at the business model and the figures for the industry

Each company has a franchise on an particular machine. They sell you a new machine for between E800 - to 1200. You can be sure that there is a 100% markup for the supplier. So it costs him say 500 for the machine. Headgear and mask, costs you another 150, so he gets it for 100 max.

Total cost to him for the machine and gear is a maximum of E600 which is a one off cost.

He rents that to you at E100 per month and after 6 months everything is paid for in full. He gets E600 for the rest of th year. Fair enough, he needs to make some money.

Roll along year 2. He gets E1,200 off you and the cost of a new mask is 100. Now that's what you call a business model. E1,000 off each of his customers, in pure profit, for doing absolutely nothing!!!

Most people won't even come looking for a new mask until the one they are using starts to leak. Unissued mask and headgear = more profit.

It's even better for them, if they supply it to someone with a medical card. State guaranteed payer and profit. I spoke with several medical card holders who have Sleep Apnea and who find the machine and the mask uncomfortable at night, so they don't use it. The HSE still pays the company E1,200 PA for a machine that's not being used.

If the HSE was a proper business, they would tender on an annual basis for the supply of the machines and go with the one that came in cheapest. But they are not a business and are happy being ripped off.

No wonder the health service is in the state its in.
Unless you claim the dps, whereby the machine rental is 100% free as is 1 new mask per year.!
Odyssey 2005 is offline  
14-08-2019, 11:11   #358
Barr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGeek View Post
Not sure how legit it is but it works for me. You need the following:
Get a UK VPN (easiest is to add an extension to chrome Hola use the following https://www.google.ie/search?client=...71.w1Y_z-1AWcE
)
Setup parcel motel with UK address in Newtownards and forward to your home address. Go to the following with VPN activated. Shop to your hearts content. Using Parcel Motel address. Doesn’t matter that your Credit Card address is outside UK. Always select for the no VAT option as it is a medical requirement. Best value and no problem with returning for any parts.
https://mysleep.resmed.com/GB/en/

That is a great workaround , thanks
Barr is offline  
14-08-2019, 11:55   #359
Murt10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey 2005 View Post
Unless you claim the dps, whereby the machine rental is 100% free as is 1 ew mask per year.!
The machine is not free, that's just an illusion. It's hugely expensive. It's free to the end user, who is not paying for it, but what the end user fails to realise, is that somebody else is paying for it, in this case, the totally incompetent and cash strapped HSE.

If people think that something is free , because it's not costing them anything directly themselves, they attach a NIL value to it. Suppose all medical card holders and DPS recipients had to pay a nominal figure, say E10 per month (ie E2.00 pw) towards the rental of the machine. They wouldn't be long about getting rid of it, if they weren't using it. And they certainly wouldn't want to be paying towards it in years 2,3 and 4. There would be a clamour to change the current system.

Which brings me on to the directly related cash crisis in the HSE, and the lack of provision of Home Helps for the elderly and people needing a bit of support in the home. If the money being wasted on the illogical rental of these CPAP machines, many of which are not being used (but that is irrelevant for the moment), were directed to supplying more Home home Help hours, then all those folk, currently being denied the service, would benefit immediately from the additional cash freed up.

By allowing the present system of unjustly enriching the CPAP suppliers to continue, for doing little or nothing, they are shooting themselves in the foot, but of course the end users cannot see it, and it's not in many peoples interest to point it out
Murt10 is offline  
Thanks from:
14-08-2019, 20:43   #360
Odyssey 2005
Registered User
 
Odyssey 2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 13,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murt10 View Post
The machine is not free, that's just an illusion. It's hugely expensive. It's free to the end user, who is not paying for it, but what the end user fails to realise, is that somebody else is paying for it, in this case, the totally incompetent and cash strapped HSE.

If people think that something is free , because it's not costing them anything directly themselves, they attach a NIL value to it. Suppose all medical card holders and DPS recipients had to pay a nominal figure, say E10 per month (ie E2.00 pw) towards the rental of the machine. They wouldn't be long about getting rid of it, if they weren't using it. And they certainly wouldn't want to be paying towards it in years 2,3 and 4. There would be a clamour to change the current system.

Which brings me on to the directly related cash crisis in the HSE, and the lack of provision of Home Helps for the elderly and people needing a bit of support in the home. If the money being wasted on the illogical rental of these CPAP machines, many of which are not being used (but that is irrelevant for the moment), were directed to supplying more Home home Help hours, then all those folk, currently being denied the service, would benefit immediately from the additional cash freed up.

By allowing the present system of unjustly enriching the CPAP suppliers to continue, for doing little or nothing, they are shooting themselves in the foot, but of course the end users cannot see it, and it's not in many peoples interest to point it out
I am using it. I pay and have been paying taxes in this country for in excess of 40 years.
The cash crisis in the hse isn't my concern. I dont like the way it's been run into the ground by an incompetent schoolboy,but he and his ilk will soon pay for that and other avoidable mistakes they've made. If the dos scheme were not reimbursing me I would certainly but a machine, but for now I'm not considering it.
Odyssey 2005 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet