Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade

• 11-06-2013 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭

Press release sounds exactly like my imagined 40k MMO would work. Thought the dev was an odd choice but then read they are one of the devs behind Star Citizen. Only got 2 years to wait now :(

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/join-the-eternal-crusade-starting-in-2015-1800713.htm
    Main features of the game include:

Experience the gameworld with 3rd-person, behind the shoulder action featuring precision gunplay and brutal melee combat with excruciating finishers;

Participate in a persistent online war to conquer the planet, its fate completely in the hands of the players;

Become a warrior from one of four initial factions, each unique and opposed to one another: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.

Participate in truly massive conflicts that simultaneously bring thousands of players to bear over territories and other strategic resources.

Get behind the controls of Space Marine Rhinos, Predators, Ork Battlewagons and other iconic vehicles of the 41st millennium;

Hack through genuinely challenging procedural content alongside your battle-brothers and never have the same experience twice;

Earn the right to customize your builds in a deep progression system drawing on the rich Warhammer 40,000 universe.

Found a Battle Squad with friends and prepare for conflict from your customized shared space in orbit - then drop down to the planet together and seek out glory!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,636 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

After the last one got canceled im not gonna get my hopes up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

Gonna cross my fingers this one is able to survive development.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seeing is beliving; I have serious doubts about it ever going live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/954/feature/7493/Warhammer-40000-Eternal-Crusade-There-Is-Only-WAR.html

There's a bit more info on it there.

I'd really like to see a 40k MMO. Personally I'd like to see something like the Planetside 2 gameplay, just pure constant PvP. Using the Bugs for PvE makes me wonder exactly what they plan on doing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The F2P system being part of the gameplay is interesting though. I'm not convinced it'll work though to block 75% of content from the free players.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Spear wrote: »
    The F2P system being part of the gameplay is interesting though. I'm not convinced it'll work though to block 75% of content from the free players.
    I really wish the whole F2P spiel would go and die in a bonfire; it's never F2P because the game company has to make the money back somehow somewhere. Offer a trial instead up to a certain level and then sell the damn game/subscription instead of the gazillion flawed versions of death by micro transactions (yes I got a chip on the shoulder about it :P ).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,035 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Nody wrote: »
    I really wish the whole F2P spiel would go and die in a bonfire; it's never F2P because the game company has to make the money back somehow somewhere. Offer a trial instead up to a certain level and then sell the damn game/subscription instead of the gazillion flawed versions of death by micro transactions (yes I got a chip on the shoulder about it :P ).

Being honest and calling it the drug dealer method of sucking people in probably would cause some eyebrows to be raised.

Being honest and calling it the drug dealer method of sucking people in probably would cause some eyebrows to be raised.
    That's what spin people are for; sell it as he better alternative to cocaine or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭grugni

Looking forward to this, I played Warhammer Online extensively and the Player V Player was fantastic. Its just a shame the numbers dropped so much.

Nody wrote: »

Gotta disagree here, I think subs have had their day as far as a revenue stream for MMOs go, it's easier to convince people to part with small/medium increments of money for stuff they want on an irregular basis than it is to ask them for €12-€15 a month for stuff they mightn't want. That isn't to say I don't think there shouldn't be a premium service offered (something like WoT's premium is actually a really good system IMO), just give players the option of playing for free if they want to get the very basic game experience.

Hopefully they'll do something like a Founder's Pack/Deluxe Edition before launch that includes everything for a reasonable price. I was all set to go Spess Mehreens but DAs are one of my least favourite loyalist legions/chapters from a fluff perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Gotta disagree here, I think subs have had their day as far as a revenue stream for MMOs go, it's easier to convince people to part with small/medium increments of money for stuff they want on an irregular basis than it is to ask them for €12-€15 a month for stuff they mightn't want. .

agreed, any MMO i play now is f2play, fook paying a sub for something i casually pick up for few hours here and there.

i play wotlk on molten now, i stopped playing when cata came out, was sh1te. not relieving the best expansion for wow imo is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Hrm some interesting bits of news in that MMORPG article:

-Orks being the FtP race is odd, makes sense canonically but could anger people that Orks are "nerfed", unless there is a paid "Nobz" style of Ork that can go toe to toe with a Spessh Mehren.

-the concept of ending the conflict after 3 months and starting again makes a lot of sense, anyone who played DAoC knows how entrenched the game got at times especially if you played Hibernians, but if a winner is declared and its all open season on a new map it could shake up a dominating sides run. But a poorly designed map could give one faction an unfair advantage for 3 months, and how are they going to resolve inequalities in faction sizes (I imagine Eldar being the least played).

-Nids as PvE enemies, makes sense as its near impossible to make them into a fully fledged faction in an MMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

A lifetime sub should be offered. I would of continued chipping away at SWTOR if there was.

Same, have tried the F2P model (as a Preferred Status account) in SWTOR but it's so neutered I barely last 10 minutes before I decide to log out again. I think I worked out it'd cost something like €60 in Cartel coins to unlock all the account-wide features I'd consider "basic" to actually playing the game. The fact the sub rate hasn't been reduced since is ridiculous as well.

Personally I think Eternal Crusade would be better off with something like World of Tank's premium mode where all you get is more XP and income to make the progression process easier. Maybe discount the cost of other stuff/reward free items too.

The World of Tanks model would better I believe too. They have one of the highest rates of paying customers in a F2P model at about 25%. If Eternal Crusade can even match that, it still means 75% of the playerbase will be the standard orks. That's not going to leave much room for variety.

The World of Tanks model would better I believe too. They have one of the highest rates of paying customers in a F2P model at about 25%. If Eternal Crusade can even match that, it still means 75% of the playerbase will be the standard orks. That's not going to leave much room for variety.
    I'd take it a step further and say that their current model simply does not work; end of story. You can't limit people to one side of a conflict in a F2P PvP or PvE game; limit experience gain/slots etc. yes but not sides; that idea will never work in practice (the imbalances will be there anyway and by limited access they will be beyond silly).

If it takes 5 F2P players to defeat a premium one (and scale synergy up from there), I don't think it's a huge issue really. The stuff in that DualShockers article I linked made it sound like F2P players will be able to fight among themselves (if I read it right) which would be perfectly in-keeping with Orky lore.

It all sounds nice and fluffy on paper, but I think the real world will stomp on the concept. The average player in WoT still doesn't understand his front armour is the strongest and will often cheerfully sit there showing their sides and being slaughtered. Now apply that to a free player who goes head on against a premium marine, he won't understand why he's being butchered, and will either quit or it'll lead to a toxic atmosphere against premium players.

It all sounds nice and fluffy on paper, but I think the real world will stomp on the concept. The average player in WoT still doesn't understand his front armour is the strongest and will often cheerfully sit there showing their sides and being slaughtered.

As a TD player they're my second favourite type of target after those who reverse and fire at me with their exposed rear. :D
    Now apply that to a free player who goes head on against a premium marine, he won't understand why he's being butchered, and will either quit or it'll lead to a toxic atmosphere against premium players.

I don't really see where the excuse lies though if you're told when you sign up "As an F2P player you will not be able to defeat a premium one without aid", they were upfront about it in their initial press release and I'd be surprised if that changed in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,480 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It all sounds nice and fluffy on paper, but I think the real world will stomp on the concept. The average player in WoT still doesn't understand his front armour is the strongest and will often cheerfully sit there showing their sides and being slaughtered. Now apply that to a free player who goes head on against a premium marine, he won't understand why he's being butchered, and will either quit or it'll lead to a toxic atmosphere against premium players.

From the sound of it when will a free player be going head to head with a space marine, you'll see a couple of premium players ahead and you'll be charging alongside dozens.

Figured I might as well give this a bit of a bump seeing as the Founder's Pack for Eternal Crusade is being released Wednesday. Glut of new information over the last few months and I have to say I'm really looking forward to this now after I just couldn't settle in ESO.

For the Emprah/Dark Gods/WAAAAGH/whatever pansy phrases the Eldar shout. :pac:

Actually can we get the thread title changed to Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade?

They still doing that thing where free players play as green skins, I like the idea but there was a lot of bitching so hopefully they didn't change it.

Yeah I hope so too, if people can't understand why and just keep bitching they don't really deserve to be catered to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Varik wrote: »
    They still doing that thing where free players play as green skins, I like the idea but there was a lot of bitching so hopefully they didn't change it.

How does that work?

If you don't pay a sub, you have to play as an Ork?

Are Orks gimped in any way?

whatever pansy phrases the Eldar shout. :pac:
    "Don't hit us; don't hit us!" :pac:
    How does that work?

I'd say with out having any more information it's down to not seeing the lore / quests of the other factions but that all factions have the same set of classes. It could also make PvP zones interesting in the sense that 75% are Orks...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Actually can we get the thread title changed to Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade?

Sure.

The game looks very flaky to me, sort of like they took the last 40k game they had on PC / Console (it was on console right?) and just attached the words MMO to it with bigger maps. Anyway... we'll see how it goes.

EDIT:
    I've played Warhammer Online (Alpha, then beta and about a month of the actual finished product) and I really hope this doesn't turn into that.

How does that work?

They're trying to make it as it is in 40k, Orks outnumber their enemies but aren't a match for a space marine individually.

As long as it's built into the game and they're not just a weaker version it should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That's... that's actually very thematically appropriate. Ork's biggest strength is huge numbers, so they should be a challenge for players who paid to be a space marine or whatever on that basis alone. They're just as happy to fight themselves, so hopefully they'll allow players who haven't paid to fight other Orks.

Still, there are buggerall real details about how it'll play, so I'll keep my enthusiasm around the "I remember how Warhammer Online went" mark, but I can give them credit for the free-to-play option, if nothing else.

Might be nice to see a similar plan for playing Tyranids, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement

Sarky wrote: »
    That's... that's actually very thematically appropriate. Ork's biggest strength is huge numbers, so they should be a challenge for players who paid to be a space marine or whatever on that basis alone. They're just as happy to fight themselves, so hopefully they'll allow players who haven't paid to fight other Orks.

Still, there are buggerall real details about how it'll play, so I'll keep my enthusiasm around the "I remember how Warhammer Online went" mark, but I can give them credit for the free-to-play option, if nothing else.

Might be nice to see a similar plan for playing Tyranids, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think Tyranid are meant to be a NPC side.

Heal yourself by killing and eating another ork or a goblin.

Advertisement