Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-12-2018, 22:06   #616
148multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dan View Post
I don't have an ounce of either here
We're willing to listen, if it lightens the load.
Advertisement
17-05-2019, 23:28   #617
Millionaire only not

Depression is widespread in the farming community far more than what’s admitted. Just had Dept here today cross compliance and another check omg Twud drive a person over the cliff
And in fairness they were both nice doing there jobs but the computer was given the blame if I am going to be fined for real minor mistakes. My only grievance we must be only job that ur wages can be taken away for not doing ur job to above 95%
18-05-2019, 00:02   #618
gr8 m8

Hello.

Are there any of these mistakes that you can rectify and get them out of the way and tell the inspectors to come back in a month or so to look again?

Just explain that things got on top of you or just went wrong for you but you are taking steps to set them right.

You won't loose anything by talking to them and getting their opinion but it seems to be that once it goes into the computer, it's just out of everyone's hands.

But at the end of the day, keep the chin up and don't let anyone else's negativity bother you because they don't know what struggles go on within your farm every day.

The very best of luck in sorting this out!
18-05-2019, 00:22   #619
Millionaire only not

Thks as they say problem shared is promblem halfed
I’ll let ye all know how it goes next week
18-05-2019, 05:39   #620
whelan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8 m8 View Post
Hello.

Are there any of these mistakes that you can rectify and get them out of the way and tell the inspectors to come back in a month or so to look again?

Just explain that things got on top of you or just went wrong for you but you are taking steps to set them right.

You won't loose anything by talking to them and getting their opinion but it seems to be that once it goes into the computer, it's just out of everyone's hands.

But at the end of the day, keep the chin up and don't let anyone else's negativity bother you because they don't know what struggles go on within your farm every day.

The very best of luck in sorting this out!
How are you getting on?
Advertisement
18-05-2019, 06:01   #621
Millionaire only not

Will be next week now
18-05-2019, 06:38   #622
gr8 m8

Hello,

I'm not sure if you are asking me how I am personally getting on or the person who got the inspectors?

But personally I'm good. For those who don't know me, I have been around here for a while and fell on hard times. I had the works wrong with me, depression, anxiety, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, terrified the phone would ring or there would be a knock on the door!

I eventually got out of the animals and I hate to admit it but the truth is I am happier for it! I don't think that I will ever leave agriculture behind totally so I view this as just a step back from the front line.

I am after applying to do a organic horticulture course from September to March and I'm looking forward to it assuming I get it. I do a few odd jobs for people and have found that farmers over a certain age are crying out for someone who can run around after cattle and do off jobs for them.

I'll be making hay in July and I have other farmers trying to buy it out of the fields already while I get a great kick out of the neighbor's who keep telling me how they will give me top price for my land either by lease or buying it outright!

I was talking to an IFA man about a month ago and he asked me if I would consider doing work with them because I have been through something that others are still going through.

I really hope that this doesn't sound like I am gloating or up on any high horse, I'm just trying to elaborate the fact that I have found a new "gra" for farming since I took this step back from it.

I wasn't easy, I had to go to a counselor for years and he explained to me that I just had to let go of the guilt of leaving the farm. He told me that I was crippled by it and that it wasn't doing anyone any good.

But with the way things are going with brexit and prices going down on meat and milk while prices are going up on cattle feed and fertilizer I don't think that I am missing out on any type of agricultural gold Rush so I'm hoping to learn about different types of farming enterprises and maybe diversify into new markets.

My point is that once I stood back from my situation, I got to see a bigger picture and came to realise that since I will probably never get rich from farming, I may as well find a happier way to be poor.

So yeah, that's basically how I'm doing!

How are you?
18-05-2019, 09:31   #623
whelan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8 m8 View Post
Hello,

I'm not sure if you are asking me how I am personally getting on or the person who got the inspectors?

But personally I'm good. For those who don't know me, I have been around here for a while and fell on hard times. I had the works wrong with me, depression, anxiety, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, terrified the phone would ring or there would be a knock on the door!

I eventually got out of the animals and I hate to admit it but the truth is I am happier for it! I don't think that I will ever leave agriculture behind totally so I view this as just a step back from the front line.

I am after applying to do a organic horticulture course from September to March and I'm looking forward to it assuming I get it. I do a few odd jobs for people and have found that farmers over a certain age are crying out for someone who can run around after cattle and do off jobs for them.

I'll be making hay in July and I have other farmers trying to buy it out of the fields already while I get a great kick out of the neighbor's who keep telling me how they will give me top price for my land either by lease or buying it outright!

I was talking to an IFA man about a month ago and he asked me if I would consider doing work with them because I have been through something that others are still going through.

I really hope that this doesn't sound like I am gloating or up on any high horse, I'm just trying to elaborate the fact that I have found a new "gra" for farming since I took this step back from it.

I wasn't easy, I had to go to a counselor for years and he explained to me that I just had to let go of the guilt of leaving the farm. He told me that I was crippled by it and that it wasn't doing anyone any good.

But with the way things are going with brexit and prices going down on meat and milk while prices are going up on cattle feed and fertilizer I don't think that I am missing out on any type of agricultural gold Rush so I'm hoping to learn about different types of farming enterprises and maybe diversify into new markets.

My point is that once I stood back from my situation, I got to see a bigger picture and came to realise that since I will probably never get rich from farming, I may as well find a happier way to be poor.

So yeah, that's basically how I'm doing!

How are you?
That's a great update. It's good to talk
18-05-2019, 19:09   #624
patsy_mccabe

Delighted for you gr8 m8 and good luck with whatever road life takes you.
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 11:45   #625
Lurching

That's an amazing transformation gr8 m8.
Looking back now, if you could meet yourself three years ago, what one piece of advice would you give yourself?
(3) thanks from:
19-05-2019, 15:35   #626
gr8 m8

Hello.

I've been thinking about it and it is proving to be a hard question to answer.

I am afraid to say that I would probably give myself a good kick up the backside! Then explain that I was obviously not happy so it's time to make a change, starting with a heavy cull of animals.

Select only my best producers that are able to thrive on minimal intervention, blood lines that don't usually get sick or are a bit wild and gives a calf every year!

Concentrate on these to build an almost self sufficient herd that I don't really have to worry about because when I hear people saying that there is no money in cattle, I would be better off only loosing money on 10 animals instead of 50!

Then find my end result for what I produce, weather it be weanlings, yearlings or finishers or something in between. But know the market for them inside out so as not to be taken advantage of because of my own ignorance!

After that I would advise to not worry about other people's opinions of me and what I'm doing (or not doing) and lastly, invest heavily in the euro millions!
08-06-2019, 21:03   #627
whelan2

Spent a good few hours today with someone having panic attacks. Her oh was gone to try to get meds to calm it down. Most frightening experience of my life. What do you do, panic mode sets in. A lot calmer this evening. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
08-06-2019, 21:16   #628
Water John

Two TDs have gone public as living with this; Willie Penrose and Robert Troy. Can happen to anyone and is very frightening for the person esp the first time. They think the're having a heart attack and are going to die.
(4) thanks from:
08-06-2019, 21:23   #629
whelan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water John View Post
Two TDs have gone public as living with this; Willie Penrose and Robert Troy. Can happen to anyone and is very frightening for the person esp the first time. They think the're having a heart attack and are going to die.
I was telling her to count backwards from 10. The first one was done in a second, then slowed it down. Wtf do you do?
08-06-2019, 21:29   #630
Odelay

Deep breaths. Three of them, in through the nose, out the mouth.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion