Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-09-2011, 18:59   #61
paddy147
Banned

Will the EU be introducing stabilizers for all new learners???
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-09-2011, 12:11   #62
Neonjack

Send a message via MSN to Neonjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy147 View Post
Will the EU be introducing stabilizers for all new learners???

Nah. That'd be a modification.
12-10-2011, 14:08   #63
paul75

Folks, any advice on what type of bike I should be considering after I take the IBT? Essentially, what's a good bike to learn on for a year or two?
12-10-2011, 14:21   #64
RosieJoe

What kind of bike do you like, cruisers/sports/naked?

What CC would you be thinking of getting? What will you be using the bike for?

There are loads of options there so you'll need to narrow it down!
12-10-2011, 15:27   #65
paul75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieJoe View Post
What kind of bike do you like, cruisers/sports/naked?

What CC would you be thinking of getting? What will you be using the bike for?

There are loads of options there so you'll need to narrow it down!
As my post stated - a good bike to learn on, not bothered whether sport/cruiser/naked. I can decide on this once I've become competent and passed my test - then I can upgrade.
Also, CC will be limited because of the 25kw power limit for learner bikers.
Advertisement
12-10-2011, 19:18   #66

I am getting quotes for bikes above the 25kw limit?? I asked and have been quoted prices, I pressed them for details regarding restrictions and such and they said they dont ask, so whats to stop me going ahead and getting a bike above the limit (other than the possibility of getting stopped and handing over a learner permit to a Garda) the gardai aren't going to ask for a restriction cert??
17-10-2011, 14:07   #67
gipi

merch,

If you were in an accident and had to make a claim with your insurance company, the first thing they'll do is ask if the bike is restricted. If it isn't then as far as they're concerned you weren't licenced to be on the road, therefore you won't be insured and the company will walk away (they may pay 3rd party costs).

The gardaí do stop bikes and ask for proof of restriction if they suspect that the bike might be full power.
17-10-2011, 22:50   #68
kevin-46

i have a zzr 400 with a fake cert just be carefully
20-10-2011, 00:10   #69

no intention of it really, just seems a curious thing for ins not to ask for a cert?
Anyway I'm looking at restricted bikes, dont even care if its factory restricted and cant be taken off, likely keep it for years if it is a bigger engined bike anyway. Power and speed isnt my consideration, more ability of the bike to endure.

edit: Also looking for a website or anywhere really that I can check out a bikes history, to some extent, like finance, or whatever people think is relevant.

Last edited by Merch; 20-10-2011 at 00:18.
Advertisement
21-10-2011, 22:26   #70
Notch000

Hi just gettign a learner now & looking to buy a bike.

question - I know the IBT is compulsury but do i need to do the IBT before you can get out on the road ?? or can i get a bike insure it & then do the IBT on that bike ???

also looking @ quinn insurance for quotes there are significant discounts for level 1-4 'assesments'. Is this a standard part of the IBT training or somehting you need to pay extra for

also how much do bike prices vary from Pre christmas to spring time price ???

Thanks
(2) thanks from:
22-10-2011, 20:50   #71
unclebill98

When I was buying the price of the bike in nov dropped by 2k come the feb from a dealer.
22-10-2011, 21:26   #72
gipi

Notch,

You can't legally be on the road on a bike until you've passed your IBT. There's nothing stopping you from buying a bike and insuring it, but you can't actually be on the road until the IBT's done.

You could use your own bike for IBT if you have some way of getting the bike to the instruction area - e.g. a van. Might be a lot of hassle though, which is why instructors supply bikes for the IBT course.

The graded assessments used by Quinn and AON cost extra and aren't included in the cost of an IBT. The IBT instructor may be qualified to carry out the assessment, but will charge you separately for it.
23-10-2011, 10:52   #73

Hey all I dont know if this is the right place to post this. If not can a mod please move it to its own thread. I have my theroy test on the 5th then will get the permit from the tax office. I'm based in Limerick.Can someone recommend me a place to do the IBT. I've never ridden a bike before so I'm guessing ill need an introductory course before I do the IBT?

Secondly...gear...

With xmas coming the family are asking the usual what do you want questions...I figured i might as well abuse there genoursity

Helmet,Jacket,Gloves,Pants,boots....and after a while a decent backpack....

Can someone recommend brands and places to get them?

sorry about the complete newbie questions

P.S I will wait till after ive done some of the IBT before i buy the gear just to make sure biking is for me.
23-10-2011, 11:34   #74

if you are willing to travel to the ennis area,then try mo garvey its where i did my ibt, she is widely regarded as being one of the best around...

As for gear, a trip to dublin might be required as things like helmets need to be tried on first, i think i tried on well over 20 different brands and size helmets before i found a comfortable fit...
Same goes for gloves and boots, so you are better off going to a place that has a large selection, i think the best place is cotters in dublin..
Thanks from:
23-10-2011, 11:51   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurofoxy View Post
if you are willing to travel to the ennis area,then try mo garvey its where i did my ibt, she is widely regarded as being one of the best around...

As for gear, a trip to dublin might be required as things like helmets need to be tried on first, i think i tried on well over 20 different brands and size helmets before i found a comfortable fit...
Same goes for gloves and boots, so you are better off going to a place that has a large selection, i think the best place is cotters in dublin..
Excellent...sure Ennis is only out the road. Have found Mo's website and will be in contact!!!

Have no problem going to dublin to get the right gear.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion