Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New to Anime & Manga? Just looking for some recommendations? Search no further!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

ixoy wrote: »
    Based on what I've tried:

Death Note (excellent)
    Code Geas (very good)
    Cowboy Bebop (stylish but couldn't get into it)
    Neon Genesis: Evangelion (classic but he's one moany git. Plus the ending..)
    Noein (2/3 through it - very weird but some interesting stuff)

would you then recommend:
    Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Ghost in the Shell:SAC or others? I've read the synopses but doesn't tell you if they're really worth my time.

I want a show with a proper end, not an open ended piece like Naruto or Bleach. Not looking for something too light either and would prefer it to have supernatural/fantasy/sci-fi elements.

Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood) has a proper ending, but also 2 movies which can be seen as stand-alone.

Definitely recommend it, it's brilliant.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex also has an actual ending, there's two seasons of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rlsniper789

Hey guys, I'm relatively new to anime. I picked out some DVDs to get in the new year and I'm just wondering what your opinions are on the anime dvds.

dvdlist.png

Princess Mononoke, Baccano!, Avatar, Afro Samurai, Cowboy Bebop movie, The Girl who Leapt Through Time, Metropolis, Akira,...

Well done sir ;)

Not to mention some of the other stuff you got.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Thomas-G

Solid choices, can't go wrong with most of those

Grand, I'll keep them on the list :D any other anime movies/box-sets you would recommend?

• Advertisement

Do you have a budget ? :D

Not really, just want to get a list of good anime together and see how many I can get in the new year!

Well, since you got the Cowboy Bebop movie I'd highly recommend getting the boxset of the series as well.

Ah yes, I shoulda mentioned I have already watched Cowboy Bebop, woops :o

Also, any recommendations for a good, short manga i.e Death Note?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood) has a proper ending, but also 2 movies which can be seen as stand-alone.
    Seven episodes into "Full Metal Alchemist" and enjoying it so far. I made the mistake of assuming it's reasonably light-hearted (aside from the second) and watched an episode called "Night of the Chimera's Cry". Bloody hell, that was the wrong thing to watch today!

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

Seven episodes into "Full Metal Alchemist" and enjoying it so far. I made the mistake of assuming it's reasonably light-hearted (aside from the second) and watched an episode called "Night of the Chimera's Cry". Bloody hell, that was the wrong thing to watch today!
    Yeah I know what you're talking about, that came as a shock to me when I first saw it. I simply wasn't expecting something so sinister coming form the show

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Natsu83

just like to add that the likes of naruto and bleach are very good, interesting story lines, intriguing characters, fantastic art work, and a massive fan base. one piece and fairy tail are also very good, full of comedy, dramatic fights, bonds of friendship, and typical anime treats that are similar to most. this is a great thread if your looking to get into either anime or manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Natsu83

samurai champloo is short and claymore to name but a few

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SKET

Natsu83 wrote: »
    just like to add that the likes of naruto and bleach are very good, interesting story lines, intriguing characters, fantastic art work, and a massive fan base. one piece and fairy tail are also very good, full of comedy, dramatic fights, bonds of friendship, and typical anime treats that are similar to most. this is a great thread if your looking to get into either anime or manga.

Fairy Tail is really good. I seriously recommend it to anyone looking for new anime. The Japanese version is on 163 right now, but the dub is only on episode 48 with a second season coming this summer, I think. So I'd watch the first few episodes to see if it was good and go from there.

SKET Dance is another great anime. It's short enough (77 episodes) but it's quite, eh, packed? I think another few episodes will be aired soon. It's sorta like Gintama, but the jokes are not as, um..., mature, I guess? It's funny, the main characters are great and it's just amazing overall. xD

Hope this helps anyone looking for some anime. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ramonwest

if you're a newbie, I think it's better if you try mainstream manga so you can be "in" while you're exploring it. There are lots of sites too, just google it. have fun.

roulette wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

That happened to me too, along with the whole chopper murderer debacle, teh Chimera ep...geez

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mrstrawman

"Dragonball Z/ Dragonball Kai
    Bleach
    Naruto"

I wouldn't recommend these to a beginner at all, long running shows should be discouraged at all cost as a beginner should be recommended short shows of differing genres to both help them find which they like and keep them entertained.

Long running shows, Dragonball I am looking at you, invoke a feeling of the overuse of tropes in anime like SHOUTING contests or move calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

mrstrawman wrote: »
    Dragonball Z

Which reminds me - if you've watched this, I've been binge watching Team Four Star's abridged version.. maybe twice.. its fantastic :)

http://teamfourstar.com/series/dragonball-z-abridged/

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

Fantastic thankyou so much- great !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 timelxpe

Fab thread! Would 300% recommened Soul Eater (manga), Death Note (Anime & Manga) and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Anime)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

It's old now but I only discovered and watched it recently: Denpa teki na kanojo

Really enjoyed it. Since then I've watched Attack on Titan and Claymore and enjoyed both. Also, very different from previous but Ore monogatari was surprisingly entertaining :o

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I made the rookie mistake of enjoying the first season of Tokyo Ghoul. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Adersd

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some dark movies like Jin-Roh, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Blood C, Vampire Hunter...what movies would you recommand me?

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Adersd wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some dark movies like Jin-Roh, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Blood C, Vampire Hunter...what movies would you recommand me?

Thank you.

Hmm, here's a few to get you started!

Sword of the Stranger, samurai epic with amazing fight scenes and one of the best soundtracks ever. Perfect Blue, seriously dark psychological thriller about a pop-singer turned actress who questions her own mental state while being stalked by an obsessive fan. This movie was the inspiration for Black Swan. Paprika, same director as Perfect Blue, but this one is more of a sci-fi mind trip, was quite an influence on Inception. Berserk, first part of the movie trilogy adaptation, they cut out a lot of plot sadly but it's still a decent watch. Seriously brutal dark fantasy, like an anime Game of Thrones. Evangelion 1.0, it's Eva, just watch it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pipipino

Hi everyone. A Japanese here. I'm glad to see everyone like Japanese culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

Madoka Magica's opening is a complete lie still awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Stormhawk88

Hi guys looking for some suggestions on anime to watch. I just finished The Irregular at Magic High School and loved it. Quite upset actually that it was only 26 episodes long :( Anything along the lines of the stuff I have watched would be great.
    Like:

Kill la Kill
    High school of the dead
    Gurren Lagan
    Knights of Sidonia
    Escaflowne
    Fairy Tail (only watched the first season on Netflix, if anybody knows where to find the next season let me know. Crunchy roll is way ahead)
    Full Metal Alchemist

A couple of others but can't think right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BarJustas

Fairy Tail season 2 you can find it in Internet just use Google :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 justoon

i only recently got back into anime,
    looking for more dark titles
    ive watched

akira
    venus wars
    fist of the north star
    Berserk - 1-2-3
    vamp hunter D 1-2

caught the addiction again any recommendations
    much appropriated