Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-10-2016, 11:32   #16
Chimo29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultain View Post
There's a house or two out in oughterard..which have had poltergeist activity, pretty vague after that..have tried to find out more but have had no luck..one of the houses is on the outskirts of the village heading to clifden. Would like to know of any on this neck of the woods, Ive heard about Yeats's haunt..but not much else.
Hi I know it's years after this post but I think I know of this house. It's a few miles towards clifden just inside a little forest off the main road. I'm not really a believer in these things but this house really got me about 13 years ago. I stopped with a girlfriend at the time and we looked in.. the back door started shaking and bats started flying out through a hole.
Inside it looked lived in but like no one had been there in years...table set etc...but dusty as hell.
I often wondered if it was just a myth told to me by someone or do others know of this house.
Can you describe the one you know to me a bit better please?
I'm going down to clifden from Dublin tomorrow and want to stop there and look again. Although a little apprehensive lol.
Thanks

Chimo
Chimo29 is offline  
Advertisement
31-10-2016, 07:48   #17
Pjizzle
Registered User
 
Pjizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimo29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultain View Post
There's a house or two out in oughterard..which have had poltergeist activity, pretty vague after that..have tried to find out more but have had no luck..one of the houses is on the outskirts of the village heading to clifden. Would like to know of any on this neck of the woods, Ive heard about Yeats's haunt..but not much else.

Hi I know it's years after this post but I think I know of this house. It's a few miles towards clifden just inside a little forest off the main road. I'm not really a believer in these things but this house really got me about 13 years ago. I stopped with a girlfriend at the time and we looked in.. the back door started shaking and bats started flying out through a hole.
Inside it looked lived in but like no one had been there in years...table set etc...but dusty as hell.
I often wondered if it was just a myth told to me by someone or do others know of this house.
Can you describe the one you know to me a bit better please?
I'm going down to clifden from Dublin tomorrow and want to stop there and look again. Although a little apprehensive lol.
Thanks

Chimo
Hello! I live out in Connemara and know the house you are talking about. My grandfather once went up to it to look in the windows and saw the same thing, table set but looked as if someone had gone in a hurry. We've always been told it's haunted and not to go up there. Throughout the years we've seen it for sale lots of times. Rumour was nobody could ever stay there. A friend of mine was asked to do work in there for the new owners (holiday makers) and he said he had a hard time finding other lads to come with him as they all said they didn't want to go inside. My friend told the home owners this and they said they were aware of the stories but they had never experienced anything. It's a terribly spooky house. I just feel like there is something not good about it that's why I stay away.
Pjizzle is offline  
01-11-2016, 00:35   #18
Chimo29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjizzle View Post
Hello! I live out in Connemara and know the house you are talking about. My grandfather once went up to it to look in the windows and saw the same thing, table set but looked as if someone had gone in a hurry. We've always been told it's haunted and not to go up there. Throughout the years we've seen it for sale lots of times. Rumour was nobody could ever stay there. A friend of mine was asked to do work in there for the new owners (holiday makers) and he said he had a hard time finding other lads to come with him as they all said they didn't want to go inside. My friend told the home owners this and they said they were aware of the stories but they had never experienced anything. It's a terribly spooky house. I just feel like there is something not good about it that's why I stay away.
Hi
Do you mean the same house? A few miles towards clifden there is a wooded area on the right and a lake behind trees on the left heading in the clifden direction. The house has an old metal gate and you can just about see the house behind all the bushes?
I was in clifden over the weekend and really wanted to stop and have another look as it's been 13 years I pulled in at the gate and it still looks like nothing has been touched from the outside anyway. My girlfriend freaked out and didn't want me to leave the car so I didn't.
Obviously nothing has been done to the house I in the 13 years since I looked in the window.
The story I heard from my mother when I was a child was that some ucg students did some investigating into that house and during the process one jumped through one of the windows and two others committed suicide after that.
No idea if that's just fairytales or not. When I looked inside 13 years ago it certainly looked as though it was abandoned very suddenly without a thing packed away. The table being set is what really got me thinking. We went round the back and saw bats flying around and a partly damaged wooden door in the back.
I'm so curious to look in the windows again and take some pics this time to see if they show anything after. I might go down sometime with friends. But I really can't see myself going inside. Don't think I'd have the guts to do that.. there's definitely a strange feeling about that house .
I've never thought much about haunted houses and wicklow gaol and the likes but that house always made me think...
If you want I'll post the GPS location so you know the one I mean unless you know exactly which one I mean.
Unfortunately I probably won't be down there till about March now but who knows.
If anyone else has a look, please post..

Chimo
Chimo29 is offline  
05-11-2016, 10:04   #19
happyoutscan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,268
Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?
happyoutscan is offline  
05-11-2016, 10:42   #20
Chimo29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutscan View Post
Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?
Hi. I've attached the coordinates and a screen shot of the house marked with a star from oughterard out towards clifden.
Funny enough looking at the map in satellite mode the top gables of the house are shaped as an upside down cross lol..creepy.
Please let me know if it's the same one and of you go inside please take loads of pics. I'm dying to see.
From what I remember the wooden back door was not in good condition and could easily be opened.. there were bats in there too so don't be too startled by that. I wouldn't go inside but if you do please post any pics you do take.

Regards
Chimo
Chimo29 is offline  
Advertisement
05-11-2016, 11:07   #21
Chimo29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutscan View Post
Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?
Hi. I've attached the coordinates and a screen shot of the house marked with a star from oughterard out towards clifden.
Funny enough looking at the map in satellite mode the top gables of the house are shaped as an upside down cross lol..creepy.
Please let me know if it's the same one and of you go inside please take loads of pics. I'm dying to see.
From what I remember the wooden back door was not in good condition and could easily be opened.. there were bats in there too so don't be too startled by that. I wouldn't go inside but if you do please post any pics you do take.

Regards
Chimo
Attached Images
File Type: png 20161105_104435.png (17.7 KB, 270 views)
File Type: png Screenshot_20161105-110639.png (305.2 KB, 287 views)
Chimo29 is offline  
18-05-2017, 15:54   #22
InTheTrees
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyoutscan View Post
Think I found it on Google Maps. Might take a spin over at some stage to have a look. Easy enough to enter the house?
Did you ever take a look?

Our family has talked about that place for decades too. Its almost a landmark on the road between Galway and clifden.

And people joke about it a lot but i've ever actually heard of anyone going in. personally I wouldnt go near it, not a chance.
InTheTrees is offline  
Thanks from:
06-06-2017, 10:27   #23
Milly33
Registered User
 
Milly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,163
sounds very interesting... MMm might have to try and find this place.
Milly33 is offline  
06-06-2017, 14:20   #24
InTheTrees
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly33 View Post
sounds very interesting... MMm might have to try and find this place.
Be careful. (I dont think I would have ever posted its location.) And post pictures, i've only ever glimpsed it through the trees.
There's a group of large old evergreen trees in front that are out of place for the area and block any view of it from the road.

As Pjizzle wrote its been bought and sold a few times over the years I think. The driveway was cleaned up at one point.
InTheTrees is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
06-06-2017, 14:23   #25
InTheTrees
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th View Post
From Paranormal.ie -
WB Yeats
Location: Galway - Renvyle House hotel
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Further Comments: Yeats treated this building as home away from home, and is believed to still reside here. Several of the rooms are also haunted by the ghosts of children.
Room 27 is the haunted room I think.

Although I think its a little fanciful to think the ghost is Yeats. When I was younger I had heard about a young girl. And I think Yeats has been added later to bring in the tourists.
InTheTrees is offline  
06-06-2017, 19:52   #26
Milly33
Registered User
 
Milly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,163
thanks for the word of warning, will take it easy
Milly33 is offline  
10-06-2017, 17:14   #27
dvkv7
Registered User
 
dvkv7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 5
Did you have a look at the house? Very interested to hear.
dvkv7 is offline  
10-06-2017, 18:58   #28
Milly33
Registered User
 
Milly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,163
no not yet, have to wait till i can get someone to go with
Milly33 is offline  
15-09-2018, 22:33   #29
Chimo29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milly33 View Post
no not yet, have to wait till i can get someone to go with

Did anyone ever look into this house since this conversation? The one on the clifden road from oughtarard? Would love to know. Thinking of going to see at some point.
Chimo29 is offline  
17-09-2018, 14:03   #30
Milly33
Registered User
 
Milly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 8,163
No never managed to get there myself, checked out the one in Oranmore but there isnt a hope of getting in there unless you have a streamers
Milly33 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet