Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-01-2009, 20:13   #31
TelePaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZV Yoda View Post
I don't know how similar your version is to the original, but I like that minimalist sound... although speaking as a drummer, I'm not a big fan of your rhythm section

Nice one
Yeah the drums are loops, I'm looking into alternatives. And I built a Cajon, so that might be good.
Advertisement
15-01-2009, 20:22   #32
TelePaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulBrewer View Post
I'm with the 'Rat I'm afraid ...
See I have a problem with this. You and Rat. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? As opposed to just criticism? I'm not claiming to be the next Brendan O'Brien. I never have, in fact I've been entirely open about my less-than-modest set-up.

Paul, before you even surfaced here, this place was Recording, Mixing and Pro Audio. There were monthly collaborations and mixing contests. And people supported each other, because they recognised that a forum like this would cater for all abilities. I've replied in more than my share of "How do I record music on my PC" threads, because I like helping people out.

I really don't appreciate your abrupt and unhelpful comments. As someone who knows infinetely more about music production than I, I don't think providing some basic pointers would be all that taxing. Your ass was dragged through feedback more than once because more than a few members were worried that you'd use this forum as a springboard for your retail outlet. And I disagreed because I thought a forum like this stands or falls by the knowledge pooled.

But if you and the other 'pros' would rather make glib remarks than share what you know, then you can **** right off.
15-01-2009, 20:34   #33
PaulBrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TelePaul View Post
See I have a problem with this. You and Rat. Whatever happened to constructive criticism? As opposed to just criticism? I'm not claiming to be the next Brendan O'Brien. I never have, in fact I've been entirely open about my less-than-modest set-up.

Paul, before you even surfaced here, this place was Recording, Mixing and Pro Audio. There were monthly collaborations and mixing contests. And people supported each other, because they recognised that a forum like this would cater for all abilities. I've replied in more than my share of "How do I record music on my PC" threads, because I like helping people out.

I really don't appreciate your abrupt and unhelpful comments. As someone who knows infinetely more about music production than I, I don't think providing some basic pointers would be all that taxing. Your ass was dragged through feedback more than once because more than a few members were worried that you'd use this forum as a springboard for your retail outlet. And I disagreed because I thought a forum like this stands or falls by the knowledge pooled.

But if you and the other 'pros' would rather make glib remarks than share what you know, then you can **** right off.
TP ,

You should know well at this stage myself and D'Rat will often take the pizz!
We're only havin' a laugh ... No offense, ok?

Regarding the track, the weakest link is the vocals in my opinion.

They are both often out of tune and out of time - having said that Neil was never known as pitch perfect.

The guitars are quite out of tune too.

These are issues that really only take effort to address, not any great technical knowledge.

Regarding this place before I 'surfaced' ... I'm not stopping anyone posting anything, once it's within the charter. In fact, as a Mod I think you'll agree that I've been practically invisible.

I hope you'll also agree I've made many many posts with accurate useful information ...... as well as taking the pizz.
15-01-2009, 20:45   #34
ZV Yoda

Quote:
Yeah the drums are loops, I'm looking into alternatives. And I built a Cajon, so that might be good.
Speaking of collaborations, I just sent you a PM...

(and what on Earth is a Cajon?... a type of chicken? )
15-01-2009, 21:10   #35
fitz

HMod: Skylarkin
I listened to the track when it was still up and didn't dig it, though there was potential there in the minimal approach to the arrangement.
I'd agree that constructive criticism is always better to get than a one liner, though I'm sure the guys meant no offense.
I had similar issues as Paul, the vocals and acoustic could have been better.

I'd always hold off on putting anything up where you're not 100% happy with the performance. In my experience as a listener, it can be quite difficult to listen to a mix critically if there are elements of the performance that are bothering me. It's distracting. And ultimately, if the performance isn't up to scratch, you're going to get feedback on the performance instead of the mix, the arrangement, the production!

Wait until you know you've done the best you can. That's the time to ask how to make it better, cause you've given it everything, and any feedback you get you'll learn from. Otherwise you're just getting told to work on things you already know how to improve (better takes, some more editting, etc.).

And you never get a second chance at a first impression.

BTW, if you haven't heard it, you should check out Dave Matthews Band's version of Cortez the Killer from Live At Central Park. Crackin.
Advertisement
15-01-2009, 23:43   #36
TelePaul

The guitars weren't out of tune. 12 string and two electric rhythms in a variation of D modal tuning. Lead in standard. Nothing out of tune.
15-01-2009, 23:44   #37
TelePaul

Quote:

Regarding this place before I 'surfaced' ... I'm not stopping anyone posting anything, once it's within the charter. In fact, as a Mod I think you'll agree that I've been practically invisible.

Way to completely miss my point. Nicely done.
16-01-2009, 02:59   #38
PaulBrewer

Quote:
The guitars weren't out of tune. 12 string and two electric rhythms in a variation of D modal tuning. Lead in standard. Nothing out of tune.
What's the point in me offering advice (your initial criticism) if you won't take it?

I could clearly hear one of the chords ringing out of tune, also expressed by another poster. I'd suggest it's probably a guitar's intonation. It's very difficult to get a guitar to play 3 full chords in tune.

If you'd care to post the track again I can point it out to you.
16-01-2009, 13:13   #39

Sorry Paul,
But you did ask, my bedside manner must be slipping.
It's not really that bad, I've heard worse and done worse me-self. I felt it was a bit slow, I like the drum sounds but it should swing a bit more. The vocals sound nervous. Didn't have any problem with the tech side of the recording.
Personally I think that kind of a thing sounds much better with a band.

The test is if you keep listening, I didn't, sorry.
Get a drummer

EDIT: the tuning thing is down to taste, I don't mind a bit of a honk out of that type of sound regarding the tuning. The brewer is a stickler for the tuning, I'll let it go if it has a bit of attitude.

Last edited by studiorat; 16-01-2009 at 13:20.
Advertisement
16-01-2009, 13:23   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz View Post

And you never get a second chance at a first impression.
if you're sittin' down the pub,
on a little session,
and you see a girl you like,
just make this connection,
you never get a second chance,
to make a first impression.
16-01-2009, 13:54   #41
old gregg

on a little session,
to make a first impression,

The Ace of Spades, The Ace of Spades.
16-01-2009, 16:11   #42

no, it's dangerous dave and the side effects.
probably the most important and most influential lyricist to come out of the county wicklow ever.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoID=20584331

You obviously know nothing!

Last edited by studiorat; 16-01-2009 at 16:16.
16-01-2009, 16:24   #43
PaulBrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorat View Post
on a little session,
to make a first impression.
Where'd you get that? offa the Walton's? ....and I don't mean the music shop-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52z2HMSZJ3A
16-01-2009, 16:43   #44

Quote:
Where'd you get that? offa the Walton's? ....and I don't mean the music shop-

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=52z2HMSZJ3A
Link above check.
he a legend,
the bridge taverns answer to John Cooper Clarke.
16-01-2009, 16:47   #45
PaulBrewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiorat View Post

You obviously know nothing!
That's well established at this stage.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text