Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondhand bookshops, post details here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fil6162

Hi, there is a great one behind the Happy Pear in Greystones - can't remember the name - Ann who owns the shop will buy back the books sold in her shop at 50% of price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The Dungeon (College Street)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dr Jan Itor

Dublin City:

Just off O'Connell St on Abbey St, directly across from Easons, think its called Bookworm, quite good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KyleBovine

In Cork I found the Irish Cancer Society shop to be full of gems on a regular basis. It's good for Penguin and Oxford classics, half of my collection comes from that shop. Their pricing varies a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

The Winding Stair beside the Hal'penny Bridge in Dublin has a a good selection of second hand books in at the back of the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭mac123

Does anyone know of a shop in or around dublin that will buy second hand college books for cash?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Chapters is a great shop! Its secondhood floor is bloody fantastic, an anoraks wet dream!

Anyone know of any shop in Dublin that has a good range of history books, apart from Hodges and Chapters? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

Anyone know of anywhere I can sell secondhand college books online in Ireland?

I've tried Amazon but they only allow sales within the UK.

Check ebay. I've gotten a lot of reasonably priced books second hand there. There are a surprisingly large amount of books for sale there, especially the more obscure ones.

Denerick wrote: »
    Check ebay. I've gotten a lot of reasonably priced books second hand there.

Cheers, but I had them up there already without much success.

• Advertisement

findabook.ie

Does second hand college books, by students for students. Only 400 books or so up tho :(

If it ever really takes off then it could be great.

I joined bookmooch today. Seems a great book swapping service, pity there aren't more Irish people on it though. All you pay is the postage costs, you earn points and 'buy' books from other users who post them to you. Whoever came up with it is a genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 singhal2

does anyone know of a secondhand book shop in cork that sells school books,

thanks
    singhal2

singhal2 wrote: »
    does anyone know of a secondhand book shop in cork that sells school books,

thanks
    singhal2

There's a place by the side of the courthouse next door to the Courthouse pub (can't think of the name of it for the life of me).

There's also that place on down from O'Sullivan's Quay called the Book Shelf.

Just realised how my last message makes me sound like a Southern American hill-billy.

For the record, I am not a hill-billy. A culchie perhaps but not a hill-billy.

I'm doing my exams...my brain's fried...leave me alone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭niall3r

charity shops rock and sometimes you can get some great deals for a lot less than even second hand book shops.

plus amazon and the bookdepository.

awesomebooks.co.uk is by far the best in the world. The.best. bookshop.ever.created.by.man.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭not bakunin

charlie byrnes in galway! how many happy hours have i cashed in there..hmm....

also, Young's Interesting Books in westport. does exactly as it says on the tin. interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 janelovestravel

nesf wrote: »
    Cork: Vibes and Scribes on Bridge St (just up the hill from Patrick's Bridge). Always worth popping into for a quick look. Sometimes you can find very interesting stuff in there. They've two new shops on Lavitt's Quay (I think that's the name of it, it's just down along the quay from the Opera house anyway at the "back" of Paul St). They're mostly for new stuff or art stuff though. Second hand stuff is downstairs in the Bridge St. shop.

Love that place, great quality of books and always helpful staff, cannot reccommend enough, easy to find what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Denerick wrote: »
    awesomebooks.co.uk is by far the best in the world. The.best. bookshop.ever.created.by.man.

Fully agree. Nearly every book is 1.99 pounds and shipping's free.
    2nd hand books galore.

Really like this site. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

any second-hand book shops in limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 for-why?

anywhere in dublin good for second-hand college books? that, or places with good philosophy or politics sections? there is the college bookshop itself, but it tends to be more miss than hit, especially for politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

every saturday there are stalls in the square in temple bar! the traders are really nice and you can pick up all sorts of books for really cheap!

Book worms should beware! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Galway:

As mentioned before, Charlie Byrne's in the Cornstore on Middle Street.

Also, Book Exchange at the bottom of Abbeygate Street does fiction etc downstairs and schoolbooks upstairs.

Ennis:

Scéal Eile on Lower Market Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kurenai

any second-hand book shops in limerick?

There's a few second-hand bookshops in Limerick.

There one in High Street called High Street Bookshop but he can vary his opening hours.

One in Little Catherine Street above the Knock Shrine shop, called Little Catherine Street Bookshop but he is shut a lot of the time.

Phil's Bookshop is on Anne's Street, near the Thomas Street Car-Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭zesman

Does anyone know anything about second hand bookshops in Sligo, are there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

zesman wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about second hand bookshops in Sligo, are there any?

Yes, there is one on The Mall. Don't know it's name, sorry.

There are also a few charity shops which have books, too.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 missypiggy

There's a great St. Vincent de Paul charity shop near the old tesco in Killarney, their book section is pretty good and unbelievably cheap...like if you get a good lot they normally only charge you 50c-€1 per book. Plus they're super nice in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 KRIS VL

If you ever come to Brussels, there are several second hand bookstores in the Rue du Midi area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FORTY

Is Bell Book and Candle in the Small Crane in Galway city still open. I often popped in there when I resided in Galway

Advertisement