Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

there was an irish ad I'll never forgot, it was
    a public safety one warning kids about the dangers of electricity.
    Anyway there is a wee girl playing with a kite or a frisbee and it gets caught up in a pylon, so this wee boy climbs up to get it for
    her and KABOOM!:eek:
    Always scared the bejay out of me.

Also the "Where's Grandad?" one already mentioned and the one about the slurry pit on the farm. Another public service ad I remember from probably from the late 70's or early 80's was about this lad in a black leather talking about going out and getting locked - about teenage drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

FatherTed wrote: »
    Another public service ad I remember from probably from the late 70's or early 80's was about this lad in a black leather talking about going out and getting locked - about teenage drinking.

I remember that. One bloke saying something like "The crack wha'? The aggro", while Stiff Little Fingers' Here We Are Nowhere played in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

I wonder does anyone remember this ad:

It was an ad for Beechems or Lemsip and it had a coffee mug with an animated face. The cup was suffering with a cold, but when the Beechems or Lemsip was added to the cup, along with some boiling water and then stirred the mug's expression changed to releif :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Could you show me a meter?

Some of you will laugh and the rest of you will asking wtf?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Who own's the rights to those Irish health and safety ad's ?You cant find any of them on youtube or anywhere.It,d be great to see some of them again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Could you show me a meter?

Some of you will laugh and the rest of you will asking wtf?

Car ad

darkdubh wrote: »
    Who own's the rights to those Irish health and safety ad's ?You cant find any of them on youtube or anywhere.It,d be great to see some of them again.

Health Education Bureau not RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Car ad

Nope.

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Nope.

It was a man in a shop. He mentioned metres and the customer said "can you show me a metre"

The man produced a metre stick ?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PlanetTV

I've recently set up a website called planettv.ie as a showcase for current Irish TV ads, I noticed this forum and thought it might be interesting to post classic ads on the site if enough interest was shown ... I did a launch viral which is on the website (Link to viral http://planettv.ie/launch/launch.htm) which uses the audio from ads old and new.

I'd love to hear any comments...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Bord Na Mona 1986
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Nz9sBjs3o

Very risque looking back at it, the director seems to be a legs man. Sorry haven't worked out yet how to put a youtube vid into post, the youtube option seems to never work.

Murphys 1990s
    7 samurai homage
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTczq_S4dEM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oddballtours

Not sure if the following 2 ads have already been discussed in other boards threads or not, but have been looking for them for ages and they don't seem to be on youtube.

1) The Penneys Christmas ad with a cartoon boy. Think they probably stopped screening it on tv in the early 90's, though they still broadcast the radio ad annually ("Penneys, got a whole lot of things for Christmas...)

2) Think it was either Denny or Galtee. Set in NYC. Guy's up cooking in the middle of the night. Girl comes out - "Sean, it's 3/5 o'clock in the morning." Response - "Yeah, but it's breakfast time back home."

Any leads - much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

1) The Penneys Christmas ad with a cartoon boy. Think they probably stopped screening it on tv in the early 90's, though they still broadcast the radio ad annually ("Penneys, got a whole lot of things for Christmas...)

Any leads - much appreciated!

I remember this one too, it was a different (slower tempo) tune to the one with the elves in the workshop. I'd love to see this again too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Hey,can anybody remember those tv commercials about AIDS which were on RTÉ,and the ones which were on British tv back in the 80's?

I was too young back then to know what they were really about,except the fact that everybody was (and still is) dying from AIDS.Those tv ads all used the scare tactic,and they sure as hell terrified the bejasus outa me.Does anyone remember them?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

JBoyle4eva wrote: »
    I'm only 15, but recently I remember distinctly two old ESB ads.

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.
    yeah the memories remember them both well and the one with the dad making the bottle for the baby won an award (many years ago)

1: A father turns on a lamp in his bedroom and goes to his baby in the middle of the night. He then goes to his kitchen to make the baby a bottle of milk.

2: I think it may be a son of the family, but somebody is coming home from somewhere and the mother at home is preparing a eal for him/her.

Does anyone know these ads, and if so, do you know a clearer discription? Also, feel free do talk about other old ads.
    heres one for ye do ye remember the shake and vac one
    you do the shake n vac and bring the freshness back.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

heres one for ye do ye remember the shake and vac one
    you do the shake n vac and bring the freshness back.............

• Advertisement

I'm gonna need somebody's help with this one.

This is a beer ad,from possibly late 80's or early 90's. (possibly Tennents but I'm really not sure).

A man walks into a pub and buys a pint,then leaves the pub with the pint in his hand.He walks down the road with the pint,walks across fields and meets his friend at a wall and gives him the pint.

I know this isn't a lot to go by but this is the best of my knowledge.Does anybody know what this ad is?

(p.s. it's not the guinness ad with yer man swimming across the ocean with a pint).

Go raibh maith agaibh.

Seasan wrote: »
    I'm gonna need somebody's help with this one.

This is a beer ad,from possibly late 80's or early 90's. (possibly Tennents but I'm really not sure).

A man walks into a pub and buys a pint,then leaves the pub with the pint in his hand.He walks down the road with the pint,walks across fields and meets his friend at a wall and gives him the pint.

I know this isn't a lot to go by but this is the best of my knowledge.Does anybody know what this ad is?

(p.s. it's not the guinness ad with yer man swimming across the ocean with a pint).

Go raibh maith agaibh.
    oh god it rings a bell for sure the beer bass comes to mind maybee im wrong but maybee im right?

oh god it rings a bell for sure the beer bass comes to mind maybee im wrong but maybee im right?

Now THERE'S the name of a beer which I hadn't remembered.But still I've no idea if that's the one.I remember that it had really cool music in the background,but it wasn't an original song,coz if it was I would remember the name of the song,which makes it all the more annoying :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

Big Lar wrote: »
    Little help here.

I am looking for an advert, It was an information advert about back injury - There was a phrase in it "Big John can lift it"

That's all I can remember, the add must be almost 25 - 30yrs old by now.

Any help would be appreciated

anyone remember the cartoon back injury ad that ended with "straight legs, bent back can cause injury....can cause injury .....can cause injury..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mikosyko wrote: »
    I wonder does anyone remember this ad:

It was an ad for Beechems or Lemsip and it had a coffee mug with an animated face. The cup was suffering with a cold, but when the Beechems or Lemsip was added to the cup, along with some boiling water and then stirred the mug's expression changed to releif :D

Yeah I remember the ad, its here

Also this one :)

Hated that ad as it was on all the time, and I didn't like the song either. It was 'Only You' by The Platters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

WindSock wrote: »
    Hated that ad as it was on all the time, and I didn't like the song either. It was 'Only You' by The Platters.
    It was kind of a sombre ad because of the song.
    Also, it looked like he was a single father. :D

It was kind of a sombre ad because of the song.
    Also, it looked like he was a single father. :D

Was his missus not in the bed? The only recollection I have is him beside the fridge with the babby.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Bord Na Mona 1986
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Nz9sBjs3o

Very risque looking back at it, the director seems to be a legs man. Sorry haven't worked out yet how to put a youtube vid into post, the youtube option seems to never work.

I liked that add, the Marino Waltz, I also think that is John Kelly's son playing, possible a John Kelly too.

• Advertisement

OK,who remembers these ads.....

"John,will u put the cat out?Máire,Máire!!"

"TV SPONGERS BEWARE-THE SQUEEZE IS ON!!"

"Keep your dog under control.Because running free he can be a killer."

"Triple A Golden Maverick.Coz this is no time to take a gamble!"

" 'TB spreadin on my land is my business!' ..the man who doesn't give a damn.Know him for what he is."

"Vigilance keeps rabies out of Ireland".

Sending a chill up my spine even now....

Advertisement