Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-04-2004, 13:08   #16
batman_oh

santry motorcyles and the bike tyre company both have dyno rollin roads
doubt they would try to verify by that but if u get unlucky u wuld have to show restriction certs, and if u crash if theres no restrictors, u cud be very screwed
Advertisement
22-04-2004, 14:42   #17
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally posted by D'oh!
As far as i've heard C&N will only insure you if you are over 21 and have a min of 2 years NCB
It Would appear so. I rang them 2 years ago at 20, and they told me they wouldn't insure me under 23. Rang them today, First thing she asked - What age? "22", immediately afterwards - Have you any NCB? "2 years".

So got me a quote - €700 less than Hibernian.

\o/

Choices...choices
18-06-2004, 15:23   #18

hey i was just wondering im driving a scooter and my insurance is up in a few weeks its fully comprehensive 700 odd quid with hibernian , do i have to pay the full whack at once or could i pay 6 months of it now and the rest in 6 months time ?
21-06-2004, 17:26   #19
Krusty_Clown

Send a message via AIM to Krusty_Clown
I just received my Hibernian renewal, and there were no installment payment options, it was all a lump sum.. I think Carole Nash allow payments by installment, but this may be no use to you..

Give Hibernian a call..
22-06-2004, 12:09   #20

im with a broker and i rang em this morning they said you can only pay the lump sum no installment option available . i have a 3 year no claim bonus and turning 21 in august so i`ll give carole nash a ring in the afternoon and see what the story there is .
Advertisement
22-06-2004, 12:12   #21
seamus
Dental Plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
im with a broker and i rang em this morning they said you can only pay the lump sum no installment option available . i have a 3 year no claim bonus and turning 21 in august so i`ll give carole nash a ring in the afternoon and see what the story there is .
Something else I had also considered was to forgoe the broker and apply for a quote online with Hibernian (they no longer offer motorcycle quotes over the phone ). Afaik, you should be able to pay in instalments.
22-06-2004, 12:18   #22

i did that seamus 200 dearer when i got quoted online for both third party and fully comprehensive and same story last year when i rang em up they were a hell of a lot dearer than my broker.do you have any idea if carole nash will insure scooters?
22-06-2004, 12:26   #23
seamus
Dental Plan!

Quote:
Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
i did that seamus 200 dearer when i got quoted online for both third party and fully comprehensive and same story last year when i rang em up they were a hell of a lot dearer than my broker.do you have any idea if carole nash will insure scooters?
No idea. Give em a buzz. Freephone too.
23-06-2004, 15:46   #24

i rang em and she said yeah grand if your 21 with at least two years ncb so i gave her all my details and she went to give me a quote and next thing she goes oh laura im so sorry the system will only give me quotes for 23 years or more sorry and hangs up , I was like ggrr so annoying
Advertisement
16-07-2004, 14:06   #25

While Im riding a 650 my (31yr, 3 NCB) Im paying less than 600 yoyos thats with a second bike on my policy. HIB didnt even come close even though I have my car and house cover with them.

My mate recently bought a Suzi GS 450 1983, 32, 1st provo and no NCB. He rang Carole Nashe they quoted him little under 500 yoyos and said when he gets his full license that will drop to 310 yoyo... I doubt he'll ever get to pay that he wants bigger yesterday, he's just using the GS to build experience and a NCB right way to go

Hopefully some of these "new" companies coming in <whenever> will also take on bikers.

I use mine for summer use only to and fro the office and have only put about 3K on the clock since I got it, theres now 7K onthe clock lol
27-08-2004, 16:02   #26
BArra

aye, carole nash, 21 yrs old minimum..... sigh

so that means hibernian are the ONLY other company that will insure bikers under 21?

Last edited by BArra; 27-08-2004 at 16:12.
26-09-2004, 17:00   #27
nialler24

hibernian vs CN

hi all, im currently driving a yamaha dragstar 650, and was insured with hibernian which cost me €1100 when i first got the bike. i got the renewal form off them in august and they were looking for €1600 ! i have a clean licence and wanted to know why the sudden increase and got no reply, just told to pay up! i called carole nash and they quoted me for €1300 with free breakdown cover. Hibernian are rip off merchants
26-09-2004, 17:03   #28
nialler24

by the way im 24 provisional licence and 4 years no claims!im never going near hibernian again
01-10-2004, 14:53   #29
spockety

Mod: DCU, ZTest
Quote:
Originally Posted by nialler24
by the way im 24 provisional licence and 4 years no claims!im never going near hibernian again
Get your full license and you'll probably find Hibernian undercutting that Carole Nash quote there.

35% off.
05-10-2004, 16:24   #30
a_ominous

Engine types

There are several different engine configurations or types used in bikes.

A general explanation at Motorbiketraining.net

Some comments pulled from a recent thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus
V-twin is a reference to the way a twin-cylindered bike has its cylinders arranged. Single cylindered bikes have obviously one cylinder, sitting straight up, or slightly leaning forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by interceptor
different configurations do different things and they all have good and bad points. Single cylinder, in-line twin, opposed twin (BMW), v-twin, in-line triple (Kawasaki), v-triple (Honda), v-four, inline four, and inline six (Honda) are the ones I can think of straight off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty_clown
V-Twins have a reputation for being more Torque'y, better handling in corners, and having better exhaust sounds.. But it is just that, a reputation...

Modern inlines can have far more Torque and handle better in the corners.
But they'll never sound as sweet*..

Quote:
Originally Posted by furp
On Harleys the V is set at about 60 degrees but its the way the timing is set up that gives them that unique sound they fire both cylinders simultaneous but only one cylinder has the piston in the right position and fuel in it so you get a kind of lagged timing on them, sorry how stuff works has a better explanation of it.

But that sound is sweet it goes po-tat-oe po-tat-oe po-tat-oe po-tat-oe, not a very efficient engine and a very old design from the 50's afaik, but my dad has a 95 Fatboy with screamin' eagle exhaust and it is a monster to ride.

Last edited by a_ominous; 05-10-2004 at 16:39.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion