Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-08-2013, 22:09   #46
calistro

Advice on Kayak

Hi there, hope I'm posting in the correct section.
Basically I done an introductory lesson a few years back but never took it any further and am going to sign up for more lessons and am thinking about buying a 2nd hand kayak. I've been offered a Pyranha Mountain Bat and was hoping someone on here might be able to tell me if it would be suitable mostly for lakes and some river paddling.
I thinks it's a good few years old but it is a low price and I don't want to spend much until I'm sure I'll stick with it this time.

Thanks for any info.
Advertisement
13-09-2013, 20:49   #47
billboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by se conman View Post
If you intend to take up canoeing or kayaking , the very first thing that you need to get is a VERY HEALTY RESPECT FOR WATER.Water can provide endless hours of fun and exercise but if taken for granted , nothing will bite you in the ass as quick.Always think safety and enjoy your paddling.
completly new to this kayaking but am thinking of buying a second hand Trident Ocean Sit on top fishing kayak. Looks good,stable and affordable at 550 euro. What do you think.
06-04-2014, 23:40   #48

Hey,

I've been kayaking a handful of times over the years and love it.

I'm in Dublin. Any recommendations on good places to get beginners training and then join a club? I'm not interested in the competitive side of it, just enjoying the kayaking itself and the social side too. I would also prefer to kayak on the sea as opposed to the Liffey, or at least close to the sea. Would love some advice. Thanks!
18-06-2014, 00:43   #49
barraseaclaid

Well everyone,
I am based down in Waterford and have done my level 2 last year with pure adventure and then a few lessons after that,
I then bought a boat and have spent the last while paddling up and down the suir for exercise, I attempted level 3 skills course last weekend and it's clearly evident that I need to spend a hell of a lot more time paddling whitewater in order to improve, I am looking at joining the club in kilkenny ASAP but just wondering are there anyone Waterford based on here that go out on a regular enough basis that that perhaps would have room for one more????
22-06-2014, 16:52   #50
adrianshanahan

Hi the club in Waterford is no longer active as far as I know, there is a club the runs out of WIT during the term months. After that There are clubs in Kilkenny, Clonmel, Graighnamanagh, Thomastown, Tullow.

All have their pros and cons.
Advertisement
22-06-2014, 18:11   #51
simons545

Hi everyone!
I have a pair of Rough Stuff Kinetics and I find when I do more powerful water, the paddle shaft slips out of my hand. I was thinking hurling grip or tennis grip for the shaft. What do people use in general?
• surf wax
• NRS grip tape (what do you think of this?)
I'd love peoples opinions and tips please!
Thanks very much
15-07-2015, 12:26   #52

Looking to get two Bouyncy aids/ personal floatation devices (whichever the proper term is Idk)..Doing an adventure race this week and need to have one as part of essential kit.. Anyone know where I'd get a cheap or secondhand pair in Dublin. I wont be using it very often..Any help appreciated. Thanks.
17-07-2015, 18:54   #53
adrianshanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 183 View Post
Looking to get two Bouyncy aids/ personal floatation devices (whichever the proper term is Idk)..Doing an adventure race this week and need to have one as part of essential kit.. Anyone know where I'd get a cheap or secondhand pair in Dublin. I wont be using it very often..Any help appreciated. Thanks.
You could do worse than this at 27€

http://www.i-canoe.com/en/Rescue_Saf..._Aid.3072.html
22-07-2015, 12:41   #54

Thanks

managed to get a loan from a kayaker in the end, ta for the help though

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size