Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-08-2011, 08:14   #76

Personally, I've never found MMORPGs all that addictive. Instead, I find them to be one of the most lacking and boring video game genres out there. There's so much grinding and hardly any content to go along with it. I grew up on SNES RPGs, and let me tell you, grinding is not necessary and not why people played the games. They were good for character interaction, plot, strategy, and non-linear exploration and sidequests.

And with MMORPGs, it's just this long, overly drawn out grind with no content. Grinding isn't content, heck, fighting isn't content. The best fights in RPGs tend to be the ones that advance the plot. They're just something to pass the time and prepare you for bosses or the next plot development, they aren't supposed to be the central part of any game at all.

It's a little improved by having crafting. But that can only go so far. In MMORPGs, general, there's a terrible lack of NPCs, and the ones that do exist are incredibly static. And the players don't make it any better. Most players talk in terrible internet speak, and talk like they're players, not members of a fictional world. Unless you find a good roleplayers guild, I find that most players detract from the gaming experience, not add to it. And roleplayers seem to be a minority fading thinner and thinner everyday, it's sad. Greater seem to be the griefers who forgot the name of the genre they're playing. It's a role-playing game, people. Role-playing is in the name, it's main appeal is supposed to be it's roleplaying content. But MMORPGs have almost none. It's hardly even worth of the name "role playing game".

Unlike other RPG games, offline RPGs, you tend not to have a family, a specific place in society, a impact on a maco-story that affects the world at large. Nothing. You're just out in that field doing boring fighting of the same monsters until you reach a level that you move elsewhere, and for what? Again, the content to grind ratio is stark. I don't even like wRPGs and I must say the the gameplay in MMORPGs is far behind wRPGs. They gameplay should be about them giving you weighty decision, you know, a role. Not a darn field to mindlessly fight on.

And then there's the fact that gaming companies tend to differ so much and not work on the things that aren't a friendly GUI, "balanced fighting", or generally related to the grind. Again, essentially making them sandboxes with not a speck of content. World of Warcraft has little things like being able to go grab a drink and get drunk. Little things like that are immersion creating. Other games, tend to not. Because since it's a "little thing", is all seen as non-essential and no group is ever bothered to make it. I hate World of Warcraft, but I have to say at least that was a very good idea. And then there's houses, some MMORPGs have the nice feature of a house, but do most of them? Nope. You know, all of the nice little immersive things like that which are a great tool for roleplayers, what everyone who plays the games should be doing.

What is addictive about these games? I've tried to get into them, and I'm not trying to rain on the parade of this section and those who play them. But I've tried and tried playing them, and I've never played one yet that I've never gotten past level 34 on any of them. They're just too boring. The grind is long and unrewarding. What's the reward of being a high level in a game with no content? I keep trying new ones and playing them, hoping it'll get better, but I keep getting disappointed. I want to like MMORPGs, I really do, but they're making it hard. I struggle to keep myself interested by telling myself of all the potential involved, but about 70 hours later and being sick of grinding, I find myself putting down the game and never picking it back up. I really wish MMORPGs could become a game genre I could become addicted to, but they really haven't been able to manage to so far.

I mean, there's like no character development, no interaction, no plot, no backstory, no content, nothing.

Sorry, please don't take too much offense to this post. I'm just frustrated. I'm tired, I wish I could get addicted to these games. I wish I understood the appeal. I wish I would stop trying to play and love them.
Advertisement
20-08-2011, 23:32   #77
Jimbob 83

04-09-2011, 15:03   #78
DermotOH

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMunkey View Post
Ah, the good old days of DNC, going out on the piss till the wee hours of the morning. Then hitting DNC for drunk fueled hours of CS with a couple of mates. Thats when i didnt live with the wife and have a 3yr old to look after.

I still pine after DNC even to this day.

What was this DNC you speak of? Lan Centre?
05-09-2011, 21:27   #79
tuxy

I was never there but it was an internet cafe and gaming centre in Dublin called does not compute.
05-01-2012, 08:44   #80
Kirby

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyoume View Post
I also refuse to pay for games.
Thanks for that. Great contribution there.....
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 09:02   #81
Eoin247

Used to be wow for me. Going to boarding school really tamed the addiction though and so after a while once I slowly got through the content (on the few breaks back home), I just got bored of it.
16-01-2012, 17:18   #82
TheDoc

The above is when I started my WoW account, have had no breaks.

Thats nearly 7 years...

And including Alpha and beta, it comes close to 8.

Thats just over €1200 on subscriptions, neverminding the amount of server transfers and faction changes

O lordy....

In contrast

That is roughly 20 console games priced @ €50.

How many games on average does the hardcore(lol) console gamer buy games?

Last edited by TheDoc; 16-01-2012 at 17:21.
17-01-2012, 16:17   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post

The above is when I started my WoW account, have had no breaks.

Thats nearly 7 years...
Code:
14/02/05	    N/A	        Free Month	      Expired
Beat you by 4 days

Spent loads on character transfers too over the years

Before that the only really MMO I was mad into was PlanetSide for years and the whole outfit (mostly from UK) joined wow together when it came out.
17-01-2012, 20:07   #84
Kirby

Never did a server transfer in WoW. I liked mine and didn't see the point. If it was free, maybe.....but they charged 20 quid for it and you were stuck there for three months. Ridiculous. I knew alot of people who did it constantly though.

Waste of money if you ask me. People used to do it for the hell of it. Unless your server is empty and have huge BG queues, I just don't see the point. The same things that annoyed you in server A will still be there in server B.
Advertisement
18-01-2012, 09:24   #85
TheDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
Never did a server transfer in WoW. I liked mine and didn't see the point. If it was free, maybe.....but they charged 20 quid for it and you were stuck there for three months. Ridiculous. I knew alot of people who did it constantly though.

Waste of money if you ask me. People used to do it for the hell of it. Unless your server is empty and have huge BG queues, I just don't see the point. The same things that annoyed you in server A will still be there in server B.
I know I transfered a few times for raiding reasons, to get with better guilds or better schedules..

Currently there is NO guild on Outland that does an actually focused raid schedule.

Everyone does 4-5 nights a week at 4 hours each and just assumes the more you are there, the better progression is, which is rubbish.

ATT was doing 3 nights a week 2 hours each when we were knocking down progression..... Havnt found a single guild that can match that sort of productivity and output from such a shrot space of raid time
31-01-2012, 09:06   #86
Kiith

Interesting video on someone's addiction to Warcraft.
Thanks from:
31-01-2012, 20:29   #87

^^

He started playing the same day I did, Valentines day 2005.
Difference for me though, my GF (now wife) was sat beside me saying how good the game looked. She started playing herself a few weeks later. Far as I remember anyway, we'd already had our fun out that night so meh...

Poor chap really, too young to waste so much time on a game and ignore sorting out his real life. Each to their own though, if he was happy (which ultimately it seemed he wasn't) then so be it.

I still don't get the whole "addiction" thing, don't buy it.

Mentally unable to comprehend the difference between a virtual world/game and real life and as a cause/effect of that being as such mentally unstable (however bad that sounds, I don't mean it with any malice) then sure, I get that and understand that but that's not an addiction, it's a mental problem and one I'm sure is easily solved. Or it's just a young mind which should be out experiencing life (for real) rather than have it filled all the hours of the day with fantasy.
02-02-2012, 11:26   #88
Dustaz
W 26 D 12 - Arsena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoc View Post
I know I transfered a few times for raiding reasons, to get with better guilds or better schedules..

Currently there is NO guild on Outland that does an actually focused raid schedule.

Everyone does 4-5 nights a week at 4 hours each and just assumes the more you are there, the better progression is, which is rubbish.

ATT was doing 3 nights a week 2 hours each when we were knocking down progression..... Havnt found a single guild that can match that sort of productivity and output from such a shrot space of raid time
In fairness 4-5 nights, 4 hours is the best way to progress under most circumstances. Monkey see, monkey do. Rinse, repeat etc etc.

The reason att's progression was so good was there was a lot of people who had either already done the content or were doing it in other guilds during normal raiding hours.
Thanks from:
07-06-2012, 13:03   #89
stephen090

I used to be ridiculously addicted to the game Runescape. It took 3 or 4 major attempts to cut this game from my life before I finally got rid of it. This spanned over 5 or 6 years and even saw my results in the Leaving Cert suffer for it. I knew how important other things were, I just couldn't pull myself away from the gravity pull the game had on me. I'm currently seeing the demise of my brother through this game. It's wrecking his social life and ruining his chances of completing a good Leaving. I managed to scrape through it, however it's got so bad with him, he's ending up doing 6 pass subjects, because he missed so much school because of the game. He is an intelligent boy and could have easily achieved great results with all honours, however Runescape has got the better of him and sadly none of us will ever see that accomplished.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion