Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

Bastareaud has joined Lyon.

Maybe Munster should go after Nonu now?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Well I'm glad that nonsense can be put to bed now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Kevin O'Byrne 2020
    Rhys Marshall 2021
    Niall Scannell 2021

Diarmuid Barron Year 2
    Eoghan Clarke Year 2

James Cronin 2021
    Dave Kilcoyne 2020
    Liam O'Connor 2020
    Jeremy Loughman 2020

James French Year 2
    Josh Wycherley Year 2

Stephen Archer 2020
    John Ryan 2022
    Brian Scott 2020
    Ciaran Parker 2020

Keynan Knox Year 3 & 2022

Tadhg Beirne 2022
    Billy Holland 2020
    Jean Kleyn 2022
    Sean O'Connor 2020
    Darren O'Shea 2020
    Fineen Wycherley 2021

Thomas Ahern Year 2
    Paddy Kelly Year 1
    Eoin O'Connor Year 1

Arno Botha 2020
    Gavin Coombes 2021
    Chris Cloete 2022
    Tommy O'Donnell 2021
    Jack O'Donoghue 2021
    Peter O'Mahony 2021
    Conor Oliver 2020
    CJ Stander 2021

Jack Daly Year 2
    John Hodnett Year 1
    Jack O'Sullivan Year 3

Craig Casey 2021
    Neil Cronin 2021
    Alby Mathewson Nov 2019
    Nick McCarthy 2021
    Conor Murray 2022

Jack Stafford Year 3

Tyler Bleyendaal 2021
    Joey Carbery 2022
    JJ Hanrahan 2021

Jake Flannery Year 1
    Ben Healy Year 2
    Alan Tynan Year 3

Sam Arnold 2020
    Shane Daly 2021
    Chris Farrell 2022
    Dan Goggin 2020
    Rory Scannell 2021

Sean French Year 2
    Alex McHenry Year 3

Andrew Conway 2020
    Keith Earls 2021
    Mike Haley 2021
    Calvin Nash 2021
    Darren Sweetnam 2021
    Alex Wootton 2021

Liam Coombes Year 3
    Jonathan Wren Year 2

2019/20 Movements:
    IN: Eoin O'Connor (LK, Waterpark), Paddy Kelly (LK, Young Munster), John Hodnett (No 8, UCC), Nick McCarthy (SH, Leinster), Jake Flannery (FH/FB, Shannon)
    OUT: Mike Sherry (HK, Gloucester/TBC), Dave O'Callaghan (FL, Biarritz), Duncan Williams (SH, Retired), James Hart (SH, Biarritz), Ian Keatley (FH, Benetton), Bill Johnston (FH, Ulster), Matt More (CT, South Africa), Jaco Taute (CT, Leicester Tigers), James McCarthy (WG, Dragons), Ronan O'Mahony (WG, Retired), Stephen Fitzgerald (WG, Connacht)

2019/20 NIEs:
    Arno Botha (capped), Chris Cloete (uncapped), Alby Mathewson (capped)

I count 61 players overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Duncan still tbc? Did he not say after the Cork Con win that he was retiring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Caranica wrote: »
    Duncan still tbc? Did he not say after the Cork Con win that he was retiring?

Yeah Williams was confirmed back in May https://www.munsterrugby.ie/2019/05/03/departing-players-confirmed/

Cheers, updated.

My list from August had 67 players so there's been a slight trim down overall.

There's going to be quite a bit of movement in the front five next summer. 7 players are up for renewal and Keynan Knox will be joining the senior squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I think it works out better to have it closest Saturday in that case. Get to enjoy Stephen's Day and have a match the Saturday to look forward to!

Prefer it on the Saturday; Christmas in my house isn't so ****e that I have to be racing out on Stephan's day!

I think the organisers having been trying to emulate the tradition of Boxing day soccer in Britain, but the tradition isn't here.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Prefer it on the Saturday; Christmas in my house isn't so ****e that I have to be racing out on Stephan's day!

I think the organisers having been trying to emulate the tradition of Boxing day soccer in Britain, but the tradition isn't here.
    Agreed, I aim to do as little as possible on Stephan's day so have never been up for the drive from East Cork to Limerick and back. But when Xmas is midweek you'd be dying to do something by the Saturday. Had a great evening last year!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I disagree. There were always St Stephens Day matches and events on in Limerick. I went to the Kelly Cup game between Munsters and Crescent for years. Town used to packed on St. Stephens Night with the races on as well. Your Christmas doesn't have to be sh!te for you to leave the house to go to a rugby match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I disagree. There were always St Stephens Day matches and events on in Limerick. I went to the Kelly Cup game between Munsters and Crescent for years. Town used to packed on St. Stephens Night with the races on as well. Your Christmas doesn't have to be sh!te for you to leave the house to go to a rugby match.

Thats fine for the locals but Munster need crowds travelling from Cork/Dublin etc. in order to fill the stadium

slingerz wrote: »
    Thats fine for the locals but Munster need crowds travelling from Cork/Dublin etc. in order to fill the stadium

The point wasn't about Munster. It was that there are many many things going on on St. Stephens Day that take people out of their homes and it's not just in Limerick that these occur. Both Limerick and Leopardstown have race meetings every year starting on Dec 26th for example, drawing people from all over the country.

The idea that you have to be having a sh!te Christmas to leave the house is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

IRFU report. Interesting stuff regarding Munsters income and the loan repayment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Burkie1203 wrote: »

Any chance of a link with such a vague post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

Burkie1203 wrote:

Are you going to make me look up and read the report you are?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Pepp1989 wrote: »

That’s too much work....I think someone else should read the report and post the main points up here

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Pepp1989 wrote: »

I just looked through the accounts and didnt see any mention of munster :confused:
    Then again i'm not an accountant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Burkie1203 wrote: »

How so? The comments are the same as last years. The only interesting bit there is that apparently Munster made no money from multi-year tickets sales or corporate box sales. But that's entirely possible if they've already been sold ouf in previous seasons. I've no idea what the story is with the naming rights though.

Bear in mind that 2 years ago they cleared off about 3.5m of their debt. If they do sell the naming rights they shouldn't have any issue paying the remainder of the debt you wouldnt think.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

• Advertisement

mike_cork wrote: »
    I just looked through the accounts and didnt see any mention of munster :confused:
    Then again i'm not an accountant :pac:

Munster repaid €2.6m (from 10 year ticket sales) last year and €100k this year and the branch now owe €6.8m. None of that is news though as it was already reported at the Munster Branch AGM.

The thing is that the IRFU always owned 50% of the Thomond Park Stadium Company. It was a condition of the original loan. If Munster couldn't pay their debts then the IRFU would assume 100% control. I'm not sure what's changed here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

• Registered Users Posts: 6 keithonroll

Great

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The thing is that the IRFU always owned 50% of the Thomond Park Stadium Company. It was a condition of the original loan. If Munster couldn't pay their debts then the IRFU would assume 100% control. I'm not sure what's changed here?

AFAIK nothing has changed in the last 12 months. Last year the repayments were completely rescheduled to what is referenced in that tweet. The 2027 deadline was removed then as well. Basically Munster are likely to be paying this loan off well into the 2030s (possibly even the late 2030s) unless they can secure a major deal for the naming rights which will shorten that time frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Sir Guy who smiles

The point wasn't about Munster. It was that there are many many things going on on St. Stephens Day that take people out of their homes and it's not just in Limerick that these occur. Both Limerick and Leopardstown have race meetings every year starting on Dec 26th for example, drawing people from all over the country.

The idea that you have to be having a sh!te Christmas to leave the house is just ridiculous.

Well (like most people) I tend to examine these things from my own point of view, if I was going racing I'd probably have the whole family with me, going to the rugby I wouldn't.

I'm not a million miles from Thomond but on Stephan's day playing leinster I'd want to be on the terrace early so 30 min travel, 1 hour wait for the match/pints, 1 hour 45 for match with extra time, 40 min home because of traffic, and the people I go with will NOT do without pints at Christmas, so well over 4 hours away the day after Christmas. Less than when I was a teenager and mad to go boozing the day after Christmas, but more than I would like to spend away now. Your milage, may, of course, vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

Thomond Park Stadium Company as you say is and always has been a joint venture between the IRFU and Munster. For match days Munster would pay a rent to the Stadium and then keep revenue streams such as ticket sales. Now as part of the new loan structure the IRFU take 50% of the 10 year tickets and corporate boxes that would have gone 100% to Munster. Also the IRFU would now take 50% of the naming rights up front. No definite answer if the remaining 50% is Munsters or split with IRFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Booked flights and accommodation for the Edinburgh Pro 14 game. Return flights to Cork and 1 night Hotel on the Royal Mile €205 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭phog

Aug 23 – 25
    Munster v Ospreys

Aug 30 – Sep 1
    Dragons v Munster

Sept 6 – 8
    Munster v Leinster

Sept 13 – 15
    Connacht v Munster

Sept 20 – 22
    Munster v Cardiff Blues

Sept 27 – 29
    Scarlets v Munster

Oct 4 – 6
    Ulster v Munster

Saturday, Oct 12 Final

Munster have confirmed their home games will be in Cork - that's a pity, I preferred when they used to bring around the province.

• Advertisement

phog wrote: »
    Munster have confirmed their home games will be in Cork - that's a pity, I preferred when they used to bring around the province.

That may form part of the naming rights.

Advertisement