Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-07-2019, 14:44   #76
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
This is a kiddie like years ago pointing out that combustion engines would never work because they needed steam or horses to deliver the fuel to them.
Things change. Night charging will the normal. Wind energy will power much of that. Power stations will cope with drops in wind like they are starting to do now. They offer incentives to large electricity users to power off non critical but high consumption parts of their factories at five seconds notice. This is already happening.
Nope. The reply was pointing out that the statement that EVs only power up at night on renewables is complete bullocs.

Yes indeed things change. But bs remains much the same. No idea why the arguing with your 'kiddie' remarks etc tbh. But there you go.

Last edited by gozunda; 18-07-2019 at 20:07.
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 14:50   #77
gozunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelay View Post
Brash that isn’t being collected isn’t more than 150 ton per day. Still another 2.850 tones a day to fill. The plenty of biomass already been grown that you refer to, well that already has a market. What will fill that market demand if it’s moved to the power plants? I think fiber will become very lucrative in the years to come.
I can only take it - that is again unsubstantiated? I've checked the sources - and there is no figures available of unharvested brash. So an unknown. The proposition is also that there is a lot of private forestry brash which is not being utilised. And yes that is only part of the solution as detailed.
18-07-2019, 15:02   #78
ganmo

http://forestenergy.ie/
thats where you'll find the studies
18-07-2019, 15:17   #79
Panch18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say my name View Post
Energia is to invest €3 bn Euro in renewable energy in the next few years on the island of Ireland.
Before anyone glosses over that. Think about it... a private company that's going to spend €3 billion Euro on the renewable energy sector on this island.
They obviously see a good return on investment.

The windpower generation payment system has changed in this country. It was a system that windpower companies got paid whenever the turbines turned. That's changed to a system now that they'll only get paid now if that power is getting used on the grid.
That means now that there can be excess windpower potentially not being utilised by the grid.

The answer...
Investment in hydrogen generation to fully utilize the windfarms.

Wright's in Ballymena have the contract now to make hydrogen buses for London and next? Belfast. .Dublin??

The hydrogen can also be turned into methane if required too.
I firmly believe that hydrogen will be the way forward - I'm hoping to skip the whole electric car buzz, I see it as a intermediary solution
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 18:18   #80
Say my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch18 View Post
I firmly believe that hydrogen will be the way forward - I'm hoping to skip the whole electric car buzz, I see it as a intermediary solution
The 3rd generation Toyota Mirai I think will be out next year.
But it's a chicken and egg situation the car manufacturers won't fully commit to hydrogen until they believe the demand and infrastructure is in place and the hydrogen makers and sellers won't really take it seriously unless they think there'll be a demand.
Then there's the hydrogen infrastructure with some wanting to develop production facilities beside windfarms and others having it near urban areas and use gas piping infrastructure.
If it does develop naturally it'll be 15 years before there's any different manufacturers making cars and suv's and the infrastructure in place.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
18-07-2019, 18:42   #81
ganmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panch18 View Post
From the science side of things I cant think of a more energy demanding fuel to manufacture than hydrogen.
And it's not exactly the easiest to store once made
(2) thanks from:
18-07-2019, 19:30   #82
Panch18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganmo View Post
From the science side of things I cant think of a more energy demanding fuel to manufacture than hydrogen.
The storage issues are being addressed at the moment. I think if hydrogen had the investment that electric has had they’d probably be further along in development now. The Japanese seems to think hydrogen is the way forward. Toyota and Honda are both going big on it

I defiantly think the commercial fleet will be hydrogen powered. Some countries moving that way already
18-07-2019, 19:31   #83
emaherx

Quote:
It's abundant in the universe, yes energy intensive to separate from water but we will have large energy costs no matter what route we take. It can be produced with electricity from renewables (it wouldn't matter if production fluctuates with lack of wind or cloudy days). At least with vehicles running on hydrogen we wouldn't need to wait for cars to charge.

No reason we can't stick with internal combustion engines running on a variety alternative renewable fuels. Electric cars can have a place as run-arounds but can't see them as the solution with current battery technology.

There is also the fact that currently we need to extract some fossil fuels for plastics and other products which we don't have alternatives to. The left overs from these have only one useful purpose which is fuel otherwise how do we dispose of?
Thanks from:
18-07-2019, 21:21   #84
Say my name

Quote:
wouldn't think it'd be viable at small scale, and at large scale you run into environmental concerns
It was viable for hundreds of years on a small scale. It's viable if smallholders actually go and do the work. But today's generation are allergic to that work coupled with shore right's being bought now by private corporations for seaweed harvesting means the smallholder is lost at sea.

Use man made kelp farms trained on ropes like you would use for lobster pots in bays and the environmental concerns are washed aside by interest in carbon capture.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion