Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost of Building a House 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

893bet wrote: »
    8 years in the middle of a huge building collapse.

Price is of zero relevance today.

I also built around then. My friend recently engaged the same Blocklayer and his rate is close to doubled since 2012.

My wife's nephew has started a self build and price per block is the same as I was charged. Cost of materials have risen of course but not by a huge amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Anyone that pays over €500000 to build and move into a 2500 sq feet house needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

BryanF wrote:
    Assuming mortgage, the bank will want the place finished.

the bank need it to be "livable" ie bedroom bathroom kitchen ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fergus1001 wrote: »

Are you asking or making a statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

BryanF wrote: »
    Are you asking or making a statement?

im asking as thats what i have been told, but obviously not sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I presume finished is taken to mean livable

Finished would hardly mean a shell without fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭staples7

893bet wrote: »
    8 years in the middle of a huge building collapse.

Price is of zero relevance today.

I also built around then. My friend recently engaged the same Blocklayer and his rate is close to doubled since 2012.

Its mostly just past 2-3 years. I built in 2016 (Contractor) and even that price has no relevance. I really didn't realise to the extent that prices have inflated.

fergus1001 wrote: »

Finished.
    Including landscaping/entrance/percolation and all planning conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Anyone here ever use SIP(Structural Insulated Panels) for construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

I have heard tons of prices quoted, these are mine, hopefully help people understand the costs, we are at the higher end of things based on the south coast.

Just started:
    189sqm, block, 200mm pumped cavity, 150mm floor, all air tight taped etc, alu clad windows and doors, stone sills, ducon slab MHRV, under floor, first and second floors standard to 1 ac/hr, landscaped, limestone patio and terrace, some stone and cedar cladding, a couple of external 'features', PC sums for sanitary ware, flooring and tiling supply and fit, PC sum for kitchen. Using a Main contractor and architect managing, all fees, contributions etc, basically turn key to a reasonably high standard all coming in at €2250/sqm.

Expensive, yes VERY, but I do not have the time, skill or inclination to do it myself. My architect has seen a house recently completed for €1200/sqm but this was the very basics so I would suggest that the costs can be realistically be somewhere between the 2 figures.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

bajj wrote: »
    Expensive, yes VERY, but I do not have the time, skill or inclination to do it myself. My architect has seen a house recently completed for €1200/sqm but this was the very basics so I would suggest that the costs can be realistically be somewhere between the 2 figures.

This is absolutely the truth. When someone comes on and asks how much does something cost to build, its how long is a piece of string.

You can have a toilet for e80. Or a toilet for e500.

You can have double glaze PVC for half the cost of triple glaze aluclad.

Depends-might be an idea to have a sticky or mega thread on these types of threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Just about finished my 2375sqft bungalow

total cost 231K (including fees)

had no architect designed house myself

full self build

me and mates done, foundations, floors, slabs, paint, roof and all site works

all rooms in house are finished painted 2 bedrooms no furnite

150mm cavity therm, air to water 400mm in attic

it can be done for these prices but a self build means a self build,

its doesnt mean project managing a build

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Got some rough prices back for by 1300ft2 refurb and 200ft2 extension and its looking like it will hit €130/sqft or circa €1400/m2.... thats allowing for energy upgrades (heating, rewiring, insulation, treple glazing etc) and structural works. Had been expecting that level, as talking to people building from scratch its hitting €185/sqft or circa €2000/m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭MrFinance

I'm currently in the process of going through designs and had a pre-planning meeting which went well. However, planning have stated that I cannot build higher than a dormer. Regardless, my partner and I have land and are looking to build from scratch.

180sq/m in Cork. We have 30k in savings and have been pre approved for 260k mortgage. Essentially, 290k to get it from start to turn key finish.

Are we being completely unrealistic?

Also. Land is level, good quality etc. We will need to get septic tank. ESB is ok.

Don’t think that budget is enough for turn key. Suggest you Reduce the size of the preplanning proposed house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,163 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

stretchaq wrote: »
    Just about finished my 2375sqft bungalow

total cost 231K (including fees)

had no architect designed house myself

full self build

me and mates done, foundations, floors, slabs, paint, roof and all site works

all rooms in house are finished painted 2 bedrooms no furnite

150mm cavity therm, air to water 400mm in attic

it can be done for these prices but a self build means a self build,

its doesn't mean project managing a build

Good job.
    What was the final ACH number after the blower door test?
    How much of the 231 was subjected to all the correct taxes?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 bajj

MrFinance wrote: »
    I'm currently in the process of going through designs and had a pre-planning meeting which went well. However, planning have stated that I cannot build higher than a dormer. Regardless, my partner and I have land and are looking to build from scratch.

180sq/m in Cork. We have 30k in savings and have been pre approved for 260k mortgage. Essentially, 290k to get it from start to turn key finish.

Are we being completely unrealistic?

Also. Land is level, good quality etc. We will need to get septic tank. ESB is ok.

I don't think you will manage turn key but you won't be too far off, if you are willing to look at doing some things your self you can save and get it in at that price, get a QS to draw up a bill of materials (cost approx€600) which will help identify where you can make savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭stretchaq

Good job.
    What was the final ACH number after the blower door test?
    How much of the 231 was subjected to all the correct taxes?

Don’t have a reading for ACH but I did all the detailing myself and I used to do airtightness for a living so should be quiet good, most was done through books a few bits of cash here and there but mostly to mates for doing a few hours with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Mod note: Duplicate post deleted. Use report function in future.

A quick update on my situation, planning to build next year a 300m2 dormer (incl garage) architecturally designed house and Im just putting together budget prices.

Just sent out my planning drawings to a timber frame company here in Cork that do full builds.

Anyway for a builders finish inc **NZEB Spec**
    Underfloor heating and low temp rad upstairs + heat pump
    Supergrund Foundation
    PC Sum for Zinc of €18,500 (fancy architects :p)
    triple glazed windows

Does Not included
    Landscaping
    driveways
    well
    flooring tiling
    kitchen and fitted furniture
    painting

€419,400 + VAT so €476,000 or about €158/sqr meter

Still a lot to do after this though:o another 100k easy Id say...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

That’s a huge house, sounds like it will look good when it’s all done. You could save some money by doing the painting yourself/garden etc.
    ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Posted this in another thread by mistake so apologies but its relevant here also....

A quick update on my situation, planning to build next year a 300m2 dormer (incl garage) architecturally designed house and Im just putting together budget prices.

Just sent out my planning drawings to a timber frame company here in Cork that do full builds.

Anyway for a builders finish inc **NZEB Spec**
    Underfloor heating and low temp rad upstairs + heat pump
    Supergrund Foundation
    PC Sum for Zinc of €18,500 (fancy architects :p)
    triple glazed windows

Does Not included
    Landscaping
    driveways
    well
    flooring tiling
    kitchen and fitted furniture
    painting

€419,400 + VAT so €476,000 or about €158/sqr meter

Still a lot to do after this though:o another 100k easy Id say...

• Advertisement

My quotes were similar maybe higher for a smaller project of 148m2. €1900/m2 or €176/ft2.... seems building costs are extremely high at moment. People whom think €100/ft2.... good luck you might just get block work and roof and double glazing for that...

Some advice needed please:

Currently close to pulling everything together for planning application. Trying to make sure we fully know what we're letting ourselves in for in terms of costs.

We have been dealing with a project manager in terms of design and getting an idea of costs etc. Our initial meeting with him we suggested a budget of 300K and leaving us 50K for fitout e.g. kitchen etc.

We have designed a 270sqm house, storey and 1/2, which he can build for €105 sq ft.

We are trying to factor in what other costs we would have. The build is in Co. Kildare so am able to work out the contribution @ circa €15K :eek:

Does anybody know the cost regarding ESB connection, Water and also typically what you would pay in legal costs for new build?

Are there any other costs like this we would need to factor in?

When it comes to furnishing the house what is the best way to try and work out a budget for various items? e.g. kitchen, flooring, wardrobes, units.

Thanks in advance. There may be more questions :)

Exactly wrote: »

We have designed a 270sqm house, storey and 1/2, which he can build for €105 sq ft.

Can I have his details he he can build it for that!!!!! after 5 different contractors I was getting €175/ft2 prices. and its not high end finishes..... but A3 rating finish.

Nzeb comes into effect end of year. Is he factoring the additional costs for this?

https://www.seai.ie/sustainable-solutions/nearly-zero-energy-buildi-1/

re other costs, ESB connection as mentioned, well or mains water connection, driveway... Gates, Biocycle or mains connection foul, flooring, tiling, bathroom/Ensuite ware, light fittings, carpentry, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

ESB - €2,600
    Irish Water - €2,272

(assuming both are "standard" jobs that don't require work above and beyond, e.g. if you're a long distance away from nearest water connection expect IW to take your pants down).

Legal fees -€2.5k maybe?

105 sq/ft sounds very optimistic. Question is, what finish are you getting and what will it take to finish it / furnish it? Does it include any external works (driveway, walls, landscape, garage)? If not...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

JoeA3 wrote: »
    ESB - €2,600
    Irish Water - €2,272

(assuming both are "standard" jobs that don't require work above and beyond, e.g. if you're a long distance away from nearest water connection expect IW to take your pants down).

A 12v ESB connection is about e1950. A 16v is about e2600. If you are having a heat pump, you will need a 16v.

(am doing a new build at the moment-and cant remember to the exact Euro, but it is within a few Euro).

Irish water is roughly e2272 if you are within 10 meters of mains water supply. After 10 meters to 15 meters, it is something like e300-400 per meter. Also, to note, a builder/you cannot dig the duct for the pipe (I know!). You have to pay someone qualified. Or get someone out from Irish water to supervise.

Edit: Water connection charges here: https://www.water.ie/connections/information/connection-charges/

BTW, it takes 16 weeks to get an approval from Irish water. It will more than likely be a planning condition that you get something to say you have ability to connect you to water. No harm in putting a query in with them now. You can apply online.

Youll also need a BER report (to assess what rating you could achieve and how).

An airtightness test (if going with heat pump). Preliminary one is e400 (incl VAT). Oh yea, thats the other thing. Services in building is 23% VAT, materials 13%. So anytime you are quoted anything, ask if it includes VAT. e350 goes to e400+ pretty quickly.

I bought my sanitarywear (3 toilets - Villeroy and Bosch), 3 seats, 3 showers (Grohe), 3 wall frames (Geberit) wall hung) for e2500 (imported from Germany). Vanity units for all 3 was e1000. I only plan to tile the shower areas and the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Hi, when I got my qs to price my build 12 months ago, it was 1.25 a block. Now I'm looking for a blocklayer and I'm getting a quote for 1.50 per block. And Im told of over 2 euro a block in dublin
    Is this right or is someone having a laugh??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Dromardabu

Hi All,
    Anyone know of a good QS who'd do me up a BOQ from drawings ? If so indicative costs if possible ?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

Hi, when I got my qs to price my build 12 months ago, it was 1.25 a block. Now I'm looking for a blocklayer and I'm getting a quote for 1.50 per block. And Im told of over 2 euro a block in dublin
    Is this right or is someone having a laugh??

sounds about right, was a blockie for years not any more thankfully. at 1.50 a block he will still only make an average weeks pay out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭little man disorder

dellas1979 wrote: »
    A 12v ESB connection is about e1950. A 16v is about e2600. If you are having a heat pump, you will need a 16v.
    Thank you
    Services in building is 23% VAT, materials 13%. So anytime you are quoted anything, ask if it includes VAT. e350 goes to e400+ pretty quickly.
    Good reminder.
    I bought my sanitarywear (3 toilets - Villeroy and Bosch), 3 seats, 3 showers (Grohe), 3 wall frames (Geberit) wall hung) for e2500 (imported from Germany). Vanity units for all 3 was e1000. I only plan to tile the shower areas and the floor.
    Where if you don't mind telling here or PM please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

Self Build in Wexford 2018 /19

Best Described as a roller coaster ride with lots of lows and highs throughout the process

2 Years from Conception to Completion

In Summary :

Self Build with main Contractor

3100 Sq Feet -
    (1000 Sq Feet of it was vaulted exposed oak beams)
    Block Construction
    150 Cavity full fill eco Bead
    50mm Slab internally
    Spray Foam Ceilings
    Sash Windows
    Bretton Slabs
    Conc Stairs clad in timber / Steel iron Mongery
    UF heating Gf / FF
    MHRV System
    Tiling / Laminate Flooring Gf , carpet throughout upstairs
    Inframe Kitchen
    70m^2 Stone Externally
    15M^2 Stone Internally
    Air tightness tested

117 Sq Ft Turn Key Excl Site after alot of blood sweat and tears

There were nice to haves in the build to the value of 40k for extras Such as - Sash Windows , Exposed Timber , Stone, MHrv. Spray Foam insulation , Intricate roof - These were personnel choices. Taking this into consideration it is plausible to do it for in and around €100 Sq ft !

Advise for anybody considering a Self Build

Get a spec Written for your house when sending it out to tender - it is worth its weigh in gold! It should summarize as much as possible the work to be done in Words and materials to be used - I got help from a Qs and architect

Try and stick to the plan or be prepared to pay the price

You will need to manage the site - Managing people is not for everyone you will meet all sorts tradesmen on your journey

Keep a diary of events that take place on site - There will always be extra time and material

Keep a log of Money going out. Get quotes written down or keep a diary on hand.

Be prepared to Graft - I spent most Saturdays and evenings for 6 Months tiding up odds and ends that the various trades wouldn't do. Done some DIY such as painting and Minor Site Works .Was re-embursed from the builder on some of it.

As a final note - If you have a full time job it will put a strain on Family and Work life it will take over your life :o

Hope this helps others on there journey

Advertisement