Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motorhome tech wishlist

• 18-07-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm considering developing some technology for motorhomes. It would consist of an app which shows data from, and controls, an onboard-device (around the size of cigarette box). Additionally, the app could show data from external devices listed below.

Onboard device features:
    • Temperature internal
    • Humidity
    • Microphone
    • Motorhome level display
    • GPS (geofencing, tracking, find my camper, etc)
    • Vehicle alarm based on proximity sensor
    • Interior camera (monitoring kids, pets, intruders etc)

External devices visible through app
    • Gas Bottle Level monitor
    • Aux battery voltage
    • Starting battery voltage
    • Fire and carbon monoxide alarm

So essentially, a single app that would allow you view / control the features above.

Any feedback on these features, or additional features you would love to see are very welcome. Also any links to similar tech would be appreciated.

All the above can be done - sussing out if it is worth my while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Moomat wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm considering developing some technology for motorhomes. It would consist of an app which shows data from, and controls, an onboard-device (around the size of cigarette box). Additionally, the app could show data from external devices listed below.

Onboard device features:
    • Temperature internal
    • Humidity
    • Microphone
    • Motorhome level display
    • GPS (geofencing, tracking, find my camper, etc)
    • Vehicle alarm based on proximity sensor
    • Interior camera (monitoring kids, pets, intruders etc)

External devices visible through app
    • Gas Bottle Level monitor
    • Aux battery voltage
    • Starting battery voltage
    • Fire and carbon monoxide alarm

So essentially, a single app that would allow you view / control the features above.

Any feedback on these features, or additional features you would love to see are very welcome. Also any links to similar tech would be appreciated.

All the above can be done - sussing out if it is worth my while.

Solar panel output.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Solar panel output.

Great idea - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Water/Waste water levels.
    Cassette toilet level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would include both Hab and Cab batteries in the system.

Thanks for all the suggestions :) Great feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I'd imagine it will be used for higher end MH. Could you incorporate features via sms etc to allow you turn on and off things like heating etc remotely?

I'd imagine it will be used for higher end MH. Could you incorporate features via sms etc to allow you turn on and off things like heating etc remotely?

I would hope that the price would make it accessible to all motorhome owners. My own camper is a 1990 and has many of these features incorporated but in a more ad-hoc and less digital way.

Yes, we can definitely incorporate remote control of heating etc. However, with such a wide variety of systems, there would be considerable development cost. It is something I would like to do in the future though, staring with the better know brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Don't know how achievable they are:
    Fridge temp,
    Engine temp,
    External temp,
    Draw on leisure battery,
    You could do some from the engine side of things - current mpg etc via the obd?

Alkers wrote: »
    Don't know how achievable they are:
    Fridge temp,
    Engine temp,
    External temp,
    Draw on leisure battery,
    You could do some from the engine side of things - current mpg etc via the obd?

Thanks - great suggestions and all doable. We are definitely considering using info obtained through the obd port, though in older vans like mine, I am the obd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Compass!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Volvo driver seat with settings memory - takes about 10 miles to fix it after my wife has been driving 😀

Ah, 2019, innocent times :D

A long story short, we've developed a prototype since my OP!

Basically, the goal was to have a bluetooth system that could communicate info from sensors around the van to your phone, without the need to chase wires everywhere. The priority was ease of use when retrofitting.

To start with, we have developed a system that can be attached externally to the bottom of any tank and will give a reading of the liquid inside. It requires a local 12v connection but can communicate with a central module via bluetooth which then communicates with your phone.

We're currently developing a display which can be mounted in the van to display data too.

I have one set spare and wondering if early adopters based around Dublin fancy giving it a go?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ah, 2019, innocent times :D

A long story short, we've developed a prototype since my OP!

Basically, the goal was to have a bluetooth system that could communicate info from sensors around the van to your phone, without the need to chase wires everywhere. The priority was ease of use when retrofitting.

To start with, we have developed a system that can be attached externally to the bottom of any tank and will give a reading of the liquid inside. It requires a local 12v connection but can communicate with a central module via bluetooth which then communicates with your phone.

We're currently developing a display which can be mounted in the van to display data too.

I have one set spare and wondering if early adopters based around Dublin fancy giving it a go?

I'm based in Lucan and would be happy to give it a try

alias no.9 wrote: »
    I'm based in Lucan and would be happy to give it a try

Great. I'm in west Dublin too. I'll send you a PM with my details.

Simarine make a system with tank level sensors, temperature probes, battery, load and generator shunts and a lottov other features. I haven't tried it myself.

Reversing cameras have GPS, alarms, internal cameras etc these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sounds good, let us know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

In the west, and mid conversion but happy to play with new tech if it's going

Here's a motorhome level display.

61Sfm8r3zzL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Battery never runs out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Battery never runs out.

Do you interact with Boards.ie via their postal service? :D

send-all-my-messages-by-carrier-pigeon-thanks-for-checking.jpg

• Advertisement

Simarine make a system with tank level sensors, temperature probes, battery, load and generator shunts and a lottov other features. I haven't tried it myself.

Reversing cameras have GPS, alarms, internal cameras etc these days.

The Simarine is interesting but we are aiming for less wires, more features and significantly cheaper.

Edit:
    Just noticed that the Simarine doesn't seem to come with sensors and relies on preexisting sensors. Ours is a straight outa the box retrofit, ultrasonic sensors and all modules included.

In the west, and mid conversion but happy to play with new tech if it's going

I'll give you a shout if we're heading that way ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

61Sfm8r3zzL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Battery never runs out.

I find these great tells me the weather, tide time, temperature and humidity.

4-pcs-set-3-Brass-Case-Traditional-Weather-Station-Barometer-Temperature-Hygrometer-Humidity-and-Clock-White.jpg

The Simarine is interesting but we are aiming for less wires, more features and significantly cheaper.

Edit:
    Just noticed that the Simarine doesn't seem to come with sensors and relies on preexisting sensors. Ours is a straight outa the box retrofit, ultrasonic sensors and all modules included.

Simarine is expensive alright. I can't say it's worth it.

It uses legacy sensors which I prefer because I rather avoid proprietary hardware. Wires can be more accurate and reliable.

I doubt the battery SOC is accurate in the Simarine. That's hard to do right. It also doesn't have this feature:

statistic-screen1.png?lossy=1&strip=1&webp=1

Despite advertising it. That log only exists as a jpeg.

If the system had:

4 or more tank level sensors (fresh, grey, foul, diesel),
    8+ current sensors (up to 500A), (I'll be running 4 inverters and several 24v appliances)
    4+ temp sensors (fridge, internal, battery, external).
    A battery SOC meter that is accurate and rolls over 100%
    On a configurable display legible from 8 meters away that doesn't autocycle.
    Has to be a stand-alone 12v/24v low idle consumption hard mountable interface.
    It can have an app but I wouldn't use it.
    Conditional programmable relays would be good too.

I'd be interested.

I can build what I'm talking about over an NMEA 2000 backbone.

It uses legacy sensors which I prefer because I rather avoid proprietary hardware.

If the system had:

8+ current sensors (up to 500A), (I'll be running 4 inverters and several 24v appliances)

On a configurable display legible from 8 meters away that doesn't autocycle.

I am the legacy sensor in my van, hence the desire to find an easy retrofit solution

In terms of the other requirements, we have to cater to the masses and not mobile power stations commanded by those with telescopic-like eyesight :D Great suggestions though and we should be easily able to add sensors of all types once we prove the communication element of the concept

If the head unit is able to read potentiometers/voltage/shunts etc for standard float senders etc then I only need the two wires in the dash to interface the diesel tank sender for example.
    And when I need a spare part in Spain I can get one.

Are your senders wi-fi with a self-contained power supply?

You know what I mean about the display. There's no effin point in making a monitor you can't read without leaving your seat. That's not a monitor and most know-it-alls like Victron fall down there. €200 meters you can't see...:rolleyes:

Comms...
    No UTP cables they're not robust enough.
    In terms of the other requirements, we have to cater to the masses

They love apps.
    I rather reliabilty..wired, hard mounted, standard hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You know what I mean about the display. There's no effin point in making a monitor you can't read without leaving your seat. That's not a monitor

I'm with Sir Liamalot on this one. The only time I've really needed a monitor was when I was struggling to diagnose a temperature dependent charge-splitter fault, for which I eventually had to rig up a beautifully steampunky arrangement in the cab because it was impossible read the figures on the control panel. That'd be pretty much the same with an app on a mobile phone.

While I have no wish to rain on anyone's parade, and I'm quite fond of the odd bit of gadgetry myself, I'm doubtful as to the market potential for this kind of package. You'll be chasing after users with old and very old vehicles, which (I would think) is the demographic least likely to be concerned with having instant readouts of so many values that can be estimated - or known - in other ways.

The retrofit that I most want at the moment is an in-cab video feed from a camera over the grey water dump valve, so that I know when I'm correctly positioned over inadequately small drains. And the switch to open it (currently right in the middle of the habitable space, at the point of maximum inconvenience ... which is why it's disabled! :rolleyes: )

There's an expression I like called kill your babies. It means I'll often spend days designing something and when I take a step back I think it's not viable/economic/practical etc...

Quite often I hit it when I'm 50% higher expenditure for 10% better performance sortov thing.

I'm not trying to be disparaging. The best machines are the ones with the fewest parts.
    when I'm correctly positioned over inadequately small drains.

61bbH%2B3hnML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Option B is a stereo reversing camera kit. I would say the underbody is a hostile environment for a camera.

61J8ngKAnwL._AC_SY450_.jpg

You could remote activate a shutter release I suppose to keep it dry.

6000202079819.jpg

or maybe add a shroud and some demisters/wipers too.

XcrIEAKyOR6rDNUU-uJvT2nwY5PwwW_qZWyJ0g9zqsFakUJEBR0V86TrMVtFvZYX60T-0MhTEdKfJmXHaLXG-RR0kc0nDpGkF_gtvJj8YWMzHCphu4_GIB9mOc5bM-OpjXoWrBVKWhGmYY_nwLpKHagAAdSp656n-F2amIjhjSQxcqol_iWZYnOtAFA

...oh and frickin' laser beams...ya gotta havea recticle!!!

71ZfAhCezdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

...I know what yer thinking...it needs VTOL!

image.jpg

What?!

Of course there's an app for that!!

Remote-Control-Tower-Crane-9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Option B is a stereo reversing camera kit. ...
    <and all the rest!>

:D Yeah. I think I'll stick with the idea of splicing a bit of Cat5 cable between the camera from an old phone or tablet and the motherboard!

Advertisement