Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bending the wavin

Options
  • 17-07-2019 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I hope this is not a big concern, I'm not a builder/plumber, so not used to dealing with Wavin pipes,
    I have mis-aligned the top pop out from my first floor toilets with the Pipe running to the AJ at the bottom, It's a 3M drop, The Pipes are out of alignment by about 40mm.
    Will it bend over that distance of 3M, and still seal properly at the ground?

Thanks for your advise
    IMAG2577.jpg?raw=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It might, but it will look terrible. Why not buy a couple of bends, and put them at the bottom to get it to match up?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭magnethead

Thanks man, I'm not too concerned how it looks...I'm slabbing that wall with another 100mm insulation sheets, so it'll all be hidden.

Will you not make the work of fitting the insulation sheets a lot harder if the pipe isn't vertical?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

As suggested above get a bends and straighten it properly it's real amateur stuff doing anything else

I don't think it will affect the insulation cover, the sheets only need 5 fixings per slab, and they are pretty big.

So you can use a few bends to sort out a 40mm difference between centres? That's a tiny difference, All I can imagine is you are talking about two 90 degree elbows, but that would drop the downward pipe, a good distance to the side of the top pipe, Oh I should mention, this will be the soil stack too, I'm hoping to pop it out of the render under the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Dig out and move the AJ

It will make more work surely, because the insulation will require cuts at an angle?

Your labour and your trades will laugh at you behind your back if you don't have the pipe straight.

Use a few smaller bends would be my suggestion. Get a couple of bends and a spare bit of pipe and experiment. You will see how it can be done. You are operating in three dimensions rather than two, so two bends gives you a lot of flexibility.

AH yeah, GCTest50, I'm loving your common sense, didn't even think of that...
    THe AJ, is only barely covered, it has a sink and toilet to the right of this shot connected...no bother to dig it up, I'll do all the work :)

Edit, would I get away with a little push to the side on the arm that goes to the wall, I guess these pipes are meant to feed directly in, and side pressure could cause them to fail.

AJ.jpg?raw=1

Please ignore the fairy liquid bottle in the above shot, that's before I realized it was a no-no for wavin pipe. Salts in it wreck the seals(harder them) apparently. He used water based lubricant for the rest of the piping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

magnethead wrote: »
    Thanks man, I'm not too concerned how it looks...I'm slabbing that wall with another 100mm insulation sheets, so it'll all be hidden.

How will you hide the pipe in 100mm if you've to put a bend on the pipe

• Advertisement

Just looking at this now. You have to chase the wall? I would definitely try to straighten this out. A small bend below ground level where the pipe goes into the AJ would be best, to avoid bends in the wall. But it should be fine.

Maybe this is the answer to your actual question, but you could use a coupler or two if you just need a very very small bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

I hope this is not a big concern, I'm not a builder/plumber, so not used to dealing with Wavin pipes,
    I have mis-aligned the top pop out from my first floor toilets with the Pipe running to the AJ at the bottom, It's a 3M drop, The Pipes are out of alignment by about 40mm.
    Will it bend over that distance of 3M, and still seal properly at the ground?

Thanks for your advise
    IMAG2577.jpg?raw=1

Why not relocate the pop out pipe by chipping away 50mm to left with cold chisel and lump hammer and refilling around pipe with mortar or remove the pop out pipe fill the hole with suitable concrete/mortar and when settled re drill....and this time do it right:D Also don't forget to fit a T on this pop out pipe to vent the stack

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Whats the plan for the vertical pipe? come down the red line and 90 degree bend back into the recess at the bottom, then 90 degrees down in to the pipe (with the bag over it?)?

40mm over 3 metres is a bend of .75 degrees - less than 1 degree - that's nothing. The pipe (with the bag over it) coming out of the AJ might have just enough play to turn that .75degrees on its last joint to accept the pipe (without having to worry aboud slight bends over the vertical pipe length)....

Thats if it was going straight into the pipe (with the bag on it).... but it looks like you will need a 90 degree bend to go back into the recess anyway (from your red line). That's better again because you have an extra turn to lose your less than 1 degree.

Stick it all together and you will be wondering what the worry was!

Thanks Jmbuildext,
    This is two stacked bathrooms, the top pipe is taking the toilet,sink and bath connections(internally out through that pipe)
    That pipe with the bag stuck in it, is only a 90 elbow as you can see from the picture above. This Pipe also has to be my Soil stack going to the roof, so the connection at the 3M point will have to accept the lower connection and go on up to about 6.5M for the soil stack to vent. It will need some sort of Tee piece

I am probably overly worried about these things, because I've ZERO experience and the finger only gets pointed at me if things go wrong. The Plumber should be on board next week, to start the first underfloor heating loops in the first floor (poured slab).
    I'll ask his advise but it's great to get yours so I can offer opinions too :)

Thanks again

Sorry, just a quick question, if someone is watching this, what is the Wavin T piece, I need to connect at the 3M mark there where the pipe comes out horizontally, I need to continue up to form a soil stack on this

Dug out the AJ a bit, looks like I won't be moving it right as there is a diagonal coming out the back and it has a solid connector on it were it straightens into the wall, that won't fit if I move it 50mm to the right :(

As a matter of interest, is it normal practice to stick a screw through the next collar, you put on an AJ?

AJ1.jpg?raw=1

As a matter of interest, is it normal practice to stick a screw through the next collar, you put on an AJ?

AJ1.jpg?raw=1

Thats not an issue, it'll do no harm

But if I move it directly right, I won't be lined up exactly with that 45..Are you saying bending the pipe into the socket at that length would do no harm? I don't think the seal would be 100% in that case.

But if I move it directly right, I won't be lined up exactly with that 45..Are you saying bending the pipe into the socket at that length would do no harm? I don't think the seal would be 100% in that case.

Read what I quoted

Advertisement