Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taking a child out of gaelscoil?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Calhoun wrote: »

The school and teachers may not necessarily have your childs best interest at heart and could be looking to just pass a problem on.
    Sorry, have to reply to this. The school weren't involved in what the psychologist said. I take exception to you saying a school/teacher won't act in the best interest of children in our care as well. Why on earth would an SEN teacher not want what's best for a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Sorry, have to reply to this. The school weren't involved in what the psychologist said. I take exception to you saying a school/teacher won't act in the best interest of children in our care as well. Why on earth would an SEN teacher not want what's best for a child?

I didn't know the school wasn't involved hence why i clarified.

I wasn't talking about SEN teacher, for the most part they know the score and want whats best for the child. I am mainly talking about non sen teachers and at a push the principals.

As i said we had a situation where our teacher was implying we should move the child from the school voluntarily. They also asked off the record if we would leave her home from the sports day. How is socially excluding a child in the best interest? It doesn't really give a whole we are inclusive feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭G&T22

Just an update. We have got our son a place in pur local English school. I think this is the best for him with the information we have. Hopefully he will settle in. Doing a summer camp there so he can get a feel for the place. Thank you for all of your opinions.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

G&T22 wrote: »
    Just an update. We have got our son a place in pur local English school. I think this is the best for him with the information we have. Hopefully he will settle in. Doing a summer camp there so he can get a feel for the place. Thank you for all of your opinions.

The best of luck to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Kathnora wrote: »
    As an experienced primary teacher I think children should only be sent to a gaelscoil if the Irish language is an integral part of the child's life and not just something that's used during school hours only.
    I have just seen this, and I thank you for clearly setting out your opinion that all children should be educated in their home language.

It's a valid ideological point of view, but a great many studies internationally validate education in a second language. You obviously disagree with all of that documentation (presumably you have read a lot of it, and have reasoned arguments against it?)

It also means that you are disagreeing with most parents who send their children to a Gaelscoil, 95% of whom do not speak Irish in the home.

You are in fact disagreeing with the raison d'etre for the Gaelscoil movement, which of course you are entitled to do.

However, you came onto this thread with the statement that you are an experienced primary teacher, thus setting yourself up as an expert in the eyes of the parent whose child was attending a Gaelscoil, when it is clear to all that you have actually got an axe to grind - made even more obvious by your single long paragraph - always a give-away.

This is unfortunate, and given that you do not know the child in question I would expect you to be more circumspect - if indeed you have any experience as a primary teacher.

There is nothing new about diatribes like yours.

I know a woman who was being brought up through Irish, and was apparently slow to speak. A doctor advised the parents to speak to the child in English, which they did, and thus engineered language change in the whole famaliy.

The child in question grew up to work in 3rd level education, and to speak a second and third language - but not Irish.
    The doctor either had no idea of what he was talking about in the first place, or he had preconceived ideas; perhaps both.
    I suspect that the same cap fits yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

^^^ attack the post, not the poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

heldel00 wrote: »
    ^^^ attack the post, not the poster.
    A fair point, on the face of it; however the poster claimed to be an expert by dint of being a primary school teacher. We have no way of knowing whether this is true, or what relevant qualifications the poster has to give this advice.
    The poster tells us that s/he is not in favour of children being sent to a Gaelscoil unless they have Irish in the home, though, so this must be kept in mind when evaluating any advice they give.

I'd consider myself quite knowledgeable on the subject - but certainly not enough to "advise" the OP as this poster did.

To recap, the OP's child was attending school X, and the child was attending an OT to improve motor skills.
    On the advice of the OT the child was brought to a psychologist who said the child should be taken out of the Gaelscoil.

Would it be usual for an OT to give this sort of advice? I don't know, but it seems strange to me.

In fact, the whole situation seems unusual to me to say the least.

Advertisement