Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bosch GCM12GDL or Dewalt DWS780

• 12-07-2019 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

Looking into a serious upgrade to replace my current cheap and cheerful Lidl saws that although fine for rough work are not quite up to future projects I have planned. At the moment I'm looking at 2 contenders.The Bosch GCM12GDL with axial glide and the DWS780.

On paper the Bosch sounds the better of the two, and the saved space would be a big bonus. However I've also read a lot of comments regarding it's accuracy, that the blade deflects over the course of a sliding cut, the wider the more pronounced?

On the Dewalt I've heard nothing but good reviews regarding accuracy and the led kerf indicator sounds like a really good timesaver.

Anyone any thoughts/experience of either? Also recommendations for an alternative appreciated bearing in mind that budget wise they're both stretching it, best reputable dealer I've bought from before has them priced at €886.48 for the dewalt and €844.28 for the bosch.

Cheers

Comments

I'd have a look at the Makita LS 1019L

Makes for an interesting read:

http://toolsinaction.com/makita-ls1019l-miter-saw-review/

And this:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tools-accessories/makita-ls1019l-miter-saw-mini-review/

Should be a few hundred cheaper (check the Axminster site) than the DW or Bosch and just as good quality.

If you really need a 12" miter saw, have a look at the Makita 1216L which appears to be fairly keenly priced also. But check the capacities on the 1019 first, as it uses traditional sliding bearings for the saw head but has the rails overhead the cutting platform which sort of combines the space saving of the Bosch with the durability of the traditional rail mount setup. I like mine anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

Cheers JayZeus, I had taken a look at the 1216L but read a few bad reviews on user forums here and there regarding fence alignment and slop in the movement which put me off.

The 1019L sounds interesting, especially the slide rail. Haven't had time today to take a proper look but some positive reviews so far. I'll look further into it over the weekend.

At that price could well be a contender. Again thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

Their prices are high maybe because of size. However, you can also consider cordless Bosch CSM180B with a fewer price. Yes, as compared to the mentioned option, I think Bosch CSM180B would be a better option if you are a DIY lover and not going to use it for commercial purpose. I prefer the user-friendly options as compared to big saws. Secondly, I am amazed why you didn't check the features of Makita's 7 1/4-inch circular saw. I think its very up-to-dated cordless options nowadays. You can also see a number of cordless saws here with all the details.

https://prohomeandgardenreviews.com/best-battery-powered-circular-saw/

However, if you want to stick with axial glide miter saw then see the following options:

https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/articles/best-sliding-compound-miter-saw

Their prices are high maybe because of size. However, you can also consider cordless Bosch CSM180B with a fewer price. Yes, as compared to the mentioned option, I think Bosch CSM180B would be a better option if you are a DIY lover and not going to use it for commercial purpose. I prefer the user-friendly options as compared to big saws. Secondly, I am amazed why you didn't check the features of Makita's 7 1/4-inch circular saw. I think its very up-to-dated cordless options nowadays. You can also see a number of cordless saws here with all the details.

https://prohomeandgardenreviews.com/best-battery-powered-circular-saw/

However, if you want to stick with axial glide miter saw then see the following options:

https://www.thearchitectsguide.com/articles/best-sliding-compound-miter-saw

You’re amazed that someone looking for a 12” compound miter saw didn’t look at a 7 1/4” circular saw?

“Honestly missus, that’s a full 10 inches, I swear”

Good grief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ShauntaMetzel

JayZeus wrote: »
    You’re amazed that someone looking for a 12” compound miter saw didn’t look at a 7 1/4” circular saw?

“Honestly missus, that’s a full 10 inches, I swear”

Good grief.

Not amazed. Just thinking do a DIY lover needs it? Or He is looking for commercial purpose as a carpenter. If it is about a 10 inches miter saw then DeWalt DWS780 could be a fine option according to reviews of users as I didn't use a full 10 Inches one.

Not amazed. Just thinking do a DIY lover needs it? Or He is looking for commercial purpose as a carpenter. If it is about a 10 inches miter saw then DeWalt DWS780 could be a fine option according to reviews of users as I didn't use a full 10 Inches one.

It’s like recommending a jigsaw when a guy is comparing two 14” bandsaws. Different tools, different capabilities and not at all equivalent or interchangeable. That’s the point.

And as for the DIY vs Professional stuff, that’s up to the guy looking at €750 saws to decide if it’s what he wants to do with his hard earned. We all know how deep pur pockets are and what’s okay to spend on tools we need or toys we want! :)

Anyway, not looking to argue with you, just saying that the posted advice is fairly wide of the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

With both of these buying high end mitre saws, I'd add the small Kapex to the mix:

https://www.festool.ie/products/sawing/sliding-compound-mitre-saws/561684---ks-60-e-gb-240v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭DamoKen

So finally got the readies together and took delivery last week. Choice in the end was based on JayZeus's recommendation, the ls1019. Did a bit more research and discovered Makita also have the same style saw in 12 inch, the LS1219L for only another 50ish

Firstly, my God it's heavy! :P

Other than blade install very little setup required out of the box. 90 degree cut was bang on out of the box, haven't checked mitre or bevel yet but has made building a mitre work station a pleasure compared to my old saw which used to go out of alignment every second cut. Went through some 4 by 4 pressure treated posts that will be the legs like butter leaving a lovely clean perfectly straight finish with loads of overhead to spare. I'll be finishing the mitre station over the weekend and then plan to start testing the slide accuracy cutting panels for a kitchen build.

So far very very happy with the purchase so thanks again JayZeus, would never have spotted this gem without your recommendation.

Cost was €691 inc Vat and an additional €34 for shipping from the UK. Even with the pricey shipping still a lot cheaper than the others I was looking at.

@ShauntaMetzel, appreciate the input but I've already got a few different circular saws I use regularly but for very different applications to the mitre saw. Not professional usage but spent most of my spare time renovating an old farmhouse the last number of years so good quality tools make life a lot easier, plus if I'm perfectly honest I like my toy..er tools ;)

Advertisement