Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
03-07-2019, 15:22   #1
strewthelvis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
40+ first time driver quote

hi ppl, honest to god i need to lie down, I have only recently started to drive i know heard it all at my age what the heck was i thinking to have not done so before all that.
But i am just looking for quotes and my 05 1.3 car the quote i have just got floored me €4,236.02. Honest to god, but i can pay 3 hundred and something a month.
strewthelvis is offline  
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 15:43   #2
Iamxavier
Registered User
 
Iamxavier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 10,292
Everybody knows that once your car goes over 10 years of age, it could explode at any moment. Just because it has never happened doesn't mean it won't happen.

On a serious note, that's slap in the face quote. I would have expected something closer to €1,000. Have you called all the insurance companies? IS that the best quote you got?
Iamxavier is offline  
Thanks from:
03-07-2019, 18:27   #3
notharrypotter
Registered User
 
notharrypotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,080
2 salient points to remember.
You only hold a learner's permit.
You have no previous insurance in your own name.


For most they learn to drive as teenagers and their parents take the hit on the insurance quotes.


Insurance is based on the perceived risk and inexperienced drivers scare are very risky bet in the eyes of an insurance company.


The issue of older cars is quite simple, if someone is going to stage an accident to make a claim they are going to buy something cheap to maximize their return on investment.


While the OP does not fall in the latter their choice of car probably does.
notharrypotter is offline  
03-07-2019, 19:06   #4
strewthelvis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by notharrypotter View Post
2 salient points to remember.
You only hold a learner's permit.
You have no previous insurance in your own name.


For most they learn to drive as teenagers and their parents take the hit on the insurance quotes.


Insurance is based on the perceived risk and inexperienced drivers scare are very risky bet in the eyes of an insurance company.


The issue of older cars is quite simple, if someone is going to stage an accident to make a claim they are going to buy something cheap to maximize their return on investment.


While the OP does not fall in the latter their choice of car probably does.
Thank you not harry, I do understand all that and was expecting a hefty bill I thought around 1500 tops. I understand that I am a first time driver, but as a first time driver I'll be either with the driving instructor or a qualified driver until I get my full licence. There should be data to back up those costings, like how many 40 Yr old first time drivers were involved in an accident and claimed on insurance? How many same category were caught speeding? How many caught drink driving? How many penalty points did they accumulate before they passed their test? Then give a quote based on that data. I just want to get my car in the road so I can gain experience in order to pass my test so that I can drive my boys to school. Shouldn't be held to random
strewthelvis is offline  
03-07-2019, 19:24   #5
Eggs For Dinner
Registered User
 
Eggs For Dinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,155
There is also the scenario where many drivers with a chequered driving history reinvent themselves as a novice driver. Insurers are wary of mature drivers supposedly starting out.
Eggs For Dinner is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
03-07-2019, 19:42   #6
strewthelvis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs For Dinner View Post
There is also the scenario where many drivers with a chequered driving history reinvent themselves as a novice driver. Insurers are wary of mature drivers supposedly starting out.
yes if course this would also be possibility, but it dosent take a whole lot to check on this, your face is on your licence, your pps number all just seem like excuse to just quote crazy numbers.
strewthelvis is offline  
03-07-2019, 21:27   #7
Eggs For Dinner
Registered User
 
Eggs For Dinner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by strewthelvis View Post
yes if course this would also be possibility, but it dosent take a whole lot to check on this, your face is on your licence, your pps number all just seem like excuse to just quote crazy numbers.
I'm not going to outline it here, but it is relatively easy to reinvent yourself in motoring terms.
Eggs For Dinner is offline  
(2) thanks from:
03-07-2019, 21:41   #8
strewthelvis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggs For Dinner View Post
I'm not going to outline it here, but it is relatively easy to reinvent yourself in motoring terms.
Ooh I see so you think there could be a way I could have a full licence and 10 years no claims bonus? Asking for a friend 🀔
strewthelvis is offline  
03-07-2019, 21:49   #9
Fann Linn
Registered User
 
Fann Linn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 3,573
Welcome to the world of motoring. Driving over 35 years accident free, and even the small things can trip ye up. With one insurance company I found that if I put my occupation down as civil /public servant my quote was €95 cheaper than if I put myself down as local govt employee. Put myself down as office administrator it was different again.

So many choices.
Fann Linn is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-07-2019, 19:24   #10
Marcusm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by strewthelvis View Post
hi ppl, honest to god i need to lie down, I have only recently started to drive i know heard it all at my age what the heck was i thinking to have not done so before all that.
But i am just looking for quotes and my 05 1.3 car the quote i have just got floored me €4,236.02. Honest to god, but i can pay 3 hundred and something a month.
Main driver holding learner’s Permit is always going to attract the highest possible premium. You might be better off trying to do a lot of lessons and pass your test as quickly as possible. I was 36 before I started to drive and only used the instructors car until I passed the test. As I explained to the dealer when test driving a car the afternoon after the test, “I’ve never driven a car without dual controls before”.

Not everyone can work this way but realistically main driver on a learner permit is going to attract a huge premium.
Marcusm is offline  
Thanks from:
07-07-2019, 19:41   #11
pinktoe
Registered User
 
pinktoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 85
How many companies and brokers have you tried? I could never deal with chill.ie or some of the bigger brokers but going directly with Aviva or a local broker worked when i was starting out.

Try gmhd.ie in Kerry and maybe the ones targeting young drivers as they are geared for inexperience. I'm sure they wouldn't have an age limit
pinktoe is offline  
08-07-2019, 16:52   #12
Del2005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 14,918
Is that a fully comp quote or 3rd party? I was getting quotes and have found that 3rd party quotes are now substantially higher than fully comp.

Also never value a car below €5k, they'll only give you book value but they increase the loading if you think your car is cheap.
Del2005 is offline  
12-07-2019, 09:18   #13
biko
Arbiter
 
biko's Avatar
Troll post and quotes removed
biko is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet