Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-06-2019, 17:34   #1
Lion Killer

Questions about 3/5 years residency and parental income/estrangement

I have been studying in another EU country over the last few years. How strict are they about the 3/5 years thing? Am I allowed to count up individual months about where I have been resident? If I can add up the summer months between terms, the months I have been home between exams then I can just about get to 36 months out of the last 60 months. Is this allowed?

In respect of parent's income, I am estranged from one parent. I do not have access to their PPS number, income etc, nor will I provided with this information if asked. I happen to live in the same property. How will I be able to prove this estrangement or will I be asked to do so?

Last edited by Lion Killer; 29-06-2019 at 17:43.
Advertisement
08-07-2019, 10:19   #2
LW3112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Killer View Post
I have been studying in another EU country over the last few years. How strict are they about the 3/5 years thing? Am I allowed to count up individual months about where I have been resident? If I can add up the summer months between terms, the months I have been home between exams then I can just about get to 36 months out of the last 60 months. Is this allowed?

In respect of parent's income, I am estranged from one parent. I do not have access to their PPS number, income etc, nor will I provided with this information if asked. I happen to live in the same property. How will I be able to prove this estrangement or will I be asked to do so?
It's a strict rule, but the 3/5 years does not need to be continuous. However, you might find it difficult to provide evidence of residency using this approach (If you have an Irish bank account that shows activity for the relevant periods, this would be sufficient). However, worst case scenario, as your residence was in another EU country, you would only be disqualified from the maintenance grant.

If your parents are divorced, separated etc and do not live together, you are assessed on the income of the parent that you ordinarily reside with. If you are living with the parent that you claim to be estranged from, this will likely not be sufficient estrangement for SUSI purposes.
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 15:44   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Killer View Post

Cut and paste the above into an email and send to support@susi.ie - put "Urgent - SOS!" as your email header, give them your phone number and ask them to call you back as a matter of urgency.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion