Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

17-06-2019, 01:19   #1
Scott Tenorman

Pain Getting Tattoo

Had a tattoo, must be nearly 20 years ago on my chest (about 10cm diameter) remember it as being very sore getting done.

Today I got a cover up much bigger tribal tattoo (delighted with it ) but the pain I felt was almost unbearable while the people in the chairs around me were all not a bother!

Is this normal? Of course people have different thresholds but this seemed extreme to me. Am I just a woos??
Advertisement
17-06-2019, 07:34   #2
thebostoncrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
Had a tattoo, must be nearly 20 years ago on my chest (about 10cm diameter) remember it as being very sore getting done.

Today I got a cover up much bigger tribal tattoo (delighted with it ) but the pain I felt was almost unbearable while the people in the chairs around me were all not a bother!

Is this normal? Of course people have different thresholds but this seemed extreme to me. Am I just a woos??
It’s an annoying answer I guess, but it’s the truth: everyone is different and everyone has different pain thresholds. I’ve been tattooed in spots that I thought were a breeze, while others would swear it was the worse spot in the world pain wise. On the flip side, I’ve also been tattooed in spots that killed, yet others thought were a breeze.
17-06-2019, 17:06   #3
yourdeadwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebostoncrab View Post
It’s an annoying answer I guess, but it’s the truth: everyone is different and everyone has different pain thresholds. I’ve been tattooed in spots that I thought were a breeze, while others would swear it was the worse spot in the world pain wise. On the flip side, I’ve also been tattooed in spots that killed, yet others thought were a breeze.
This is it everyone is different, also same person different day and things can be different,

Did you sleep well, where you tired , where you hungry, where you hydrated ? What was your mind set ? where you ready for some pain ?

I got my ribs done and it was a breeze , When I say breeze I mean sore but nothing more than expected ,
17-06-2019, 17:23   #4
Gatling

My last tattoo took 4 hours I didn't find it too bad pain wise parts stung but nothing major ,
The chap beside me was getting small flowers added to a sleeve and he was literally in tears for most parts and vocal about his pain didn't help he was 6"4 built like a tank ,
As above no two of us are the same
Thanks from:
17-06-2019, 17:31   #5
Alpha_zero

I mean you want a needle cut into your skin to make some scrawl then you put up with the pain.

What bout the emotional pain of getting inked
Advertisement
17-06-2019, 17:51   #6
Uncharted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_zero View Post

?????

It's a voluntary process,it's hardly Auschwitz.

Thanks from:
20-06-2019, 22:53   #7
raze_them_all_

emotional pain of getting inked....****ing jesus the ****e people post
(4) thanks from:
24-06-2019, 18:23   #8
Alpha_zero

Quote:
Originally Posted by raze_them_all_ View Post
emotional pain of getting inked....****ing jesus the ****e people post
Low class and Ink.
24-06-2019, 18:28   #9
electro~bitch

My smallest tattoo is a very simple little thing on my thigh, only took about 20 minutes. It was the
only one where I almost had to ask for a break!

First one was inner upper arm which is one of the spots you'd hear people say is pretty bad and that was a doddle for me.

Be well rested and hydrated (and if you have a menstrual cycle take that into account when making appointments) and it'll help but there's no certainty about how you'll react in any given spot or on any given day.

Glad you're happy with the cover up!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2019, 19:33   #10
Uncharted

Quote:
Low class and Ink.
Jacob Rees Mogg,is that you ??
25-06-2019, 00:38   #11
Hellrazer

Quote:
I mean you want a needle cut into your skin to make some scrawl then you put up with the pain.

Quote:
Low class and Ink.
Keep it up and Ill ban you from the forum.
(2) thanks from:
25-06-2019, 00:39   #12
Hellrazer

I find the pain gets worse as you get older.
I used to be able to do 6+ hours no bother but that threshold is down to probably 3 nowadays.
25-06-2019, 23:38   #13
Star Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro~bitch View Post
My smallest tattoo is a very simple little thing on my thigh, only took about 20 minutes. It was the
only one where I almost had to ask for a break!

First one was inner upper arm which is one of the spots you'd hear people say is pretty bad and that was a doddle for me.

Be well rested and hydrated (and if you have a menstrual cycle take that into account when making appointments) and it'll help but there's no certainty about how you'll react in any given spot or on any given day.

Glad you're happy with the cover up!
Had multiple hours on my thigh, and he started right above the kneecap, and I'd not really eaten before either (I know, I know!), and I got cold sweats, nausea and light-headedness, and had to take a break after a few minutes! The rest of the tattoo was an absolute doddle.

We're all different, so pain levels per area will vary greatly from person to person by quite a margin!
(2) thanks from:
04-07-2019, 13:00   #14
Lone Stone

Quote:

my soul burns !!!
Thanks from:
10-07-2019, 11:02   #15
Bluefoam

My half sleeve took about 6 hours. It was fine for the first v5.5 hours, but the final 30 minutes went up onto my boney shoulder and I could feel the vibration going through me, I could feel it in my teeth and I got the shivers... All very mild and easy to deal with, but it just shows the pressures that prolonged tattooing can have on your body... in fairness, you are penetrating your sking with a needle constantly for hours on end...

I had just come off an eight hour flight and didn't finish up until about 3.30am... so that could have exagerated it... I wouldn't have called it pain, more fatigue.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion