Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE ads from the 80s...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

I heard Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" on the radio today and remembered this ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Den14 wrote: »
    I remember that girl giving her mother the dirtiest of looks!

But she was all smiles at the end of the school day and ran into her mother's arms

Can anyone remember an ad,I dunno whether it was from the 80s or not,but it had the abandoned Marie Celeste ship afloat in the water? I think it might have been about chocolate or something.
    I know that there was a funny Weetabix ad about the Marie Celeste, but the one I am talking about was long before this and seemed rather bleak.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This one was I think circa 1990/91 and for Jacobs. It was cartoon animation with this punkish girl going around on a moped and kind of acid house type song that went "where is the jam?". Would like to see that one again.

darkdubh wrote: »
    This one was I think circa 1990/91 and for Jacobs. It was cartoon animation with this punkish girl going around on a moped and kind of acid house type song that went "where is the jam?". Would like to see that one again.
    I remember that one too,and I think the song "Where Is The Jam" was a parody of "Pump Up The Jam". And at the end of it,it said "The jam is in the groove".
    There was another one for Kimberley quite like that one, which said "Don't twist my biscuit,man" at the end.

• Advertisement

I remember that one too,and I think the song "Where Is The Jam" was a parody of "Pump Up The Jam". And at the end of it,it said "The jam is in the groove".
    There was another one for Kimberley quite like that one, which said "Don't twist my biscuit,man" at the end.

Found both of them......

Looking at them again I reckon the same animator must have done the Milky Way "red car and blue car had a race", the style is very similar.

Seaaaan! It's 3 O clock in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Anyoner remember the ICL ad with the businessmen in suits playing rugby?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

These are two that i remember most, the dog one freaked me out.
    https://youtu.be/0BTCY5xhrIY

https://youtu.be/ghQVJ3qAcAU

• Advertisement

I'm gone into rewind again with ads.....here's another one which came to me head-one which scared me even though twas about somethin harmless but I just can't remember what twas about.What I found scary was in the background there was exciting music and the sound of thunder,and a couple of times there was the sound of a fella singing the words:

"LIGHTNING WHITENING!!!!"

in a really loud high-pitched voice.

Can anybody remember what that ad was about?
    Could it have been washing powder or something??

It was for Macleans toothpaste. It's on this ad compilation at the 2:30 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Remember this one...Daz washing powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKRvRwRsj0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

My favorite is perhaps the 'ESB - Going Home' one.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

With a young Alan Hughes as the returning son

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

branie2 wrote: »
    With a young Alan Hughes as the returning son

Hi branie2, yes, that's the one.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Worztron wrote: »
    My favorite is perhaps the 'ESB - Going Home' one.

Popular with railway enthusiasts too!

This is a classic, very funny but also kind of sad ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Up Donegal wrote: »
    Remember this one...Daz washing powder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpKRvRwRsj0

Whatever happened to the Daz 'blue whitener'?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Modernity killed it. UV whiteners in the washing powder/liquid itself replaced the need for subtractive colour trickery; and now better fabrics + oxygen bleach keep white stuff whiter anyway

I'd repressed all memory of these screechy voiced brats till seeing this again.

• Advertisement

That ad,I think,was for Capri-Sun.
    I vaguely remember some of the ad where one of them is drinking ordinary orange squash and the other is drinking Capri-Sun,every time the former said "squash" the latter said "capri-sun",and it ended up with the squash one either gettin squashed himself or melting while still saying "squash".

That ad is here at the 3:55 mark. Very elusive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,388 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@1.35 minutes, I remember getting those Black Cauldron figures in the Cornflakes :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

A treasure trove of old ads here. At the 19:20 mark there's a n ad for Calor Kosangas with Tony Doyle playing the husband. Who's playing the wife? Shes very familiar but cant place her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

A treasure trove of old ads here. At the 19:20 mark there's a n ad for Calor Kosangas with Tony Doyle playing the husband. Who's playing the wife? Shes very familiar but cant place her.

I think the actress is Ruth McCabe. She's been in a rake of things. Most recently she played the Grandmother is Damo & Ivor. Which the less said about the better.

I remember those Impulse ads. They were considered a bit racy back in the day

Aglomerado wrote: »
    I think it was AIB, not certain though.

Does anyone remember another banking ad from round about the same time, it featured pinstripe-clad arses sitting down and the slogan was "How big are your assets?"
    :D

It's on here at the 3:08 mark, the ad is for Cork & Limerick Bank. The actress delivering the "how big are your assets?" line would go to bigger things within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It's on here at the 3:08 mark, the ad is for Cork & Limerick Bank. The actress delivering the "how big are your assets?" line would go to bigger things within a few years
    Wow! Didn't realise she was in it! :D Thanks! :)

Remember these , Silvermints ads with Steve Silvermint? Were there any others in the series?

A few ads from the 80s that I've yet to see show up online.

Two with Barry Mcguigan. The one for the brand of crisps named after him. This one would be pretty rare, didn't see it shown much.

One for Irish beef with Barry and his wife. The focus was more on her and he pops up at the end. This came out at the same time as his fight with Carbera because the first time I saw it he was still sporting two shiners from the fight and I remember wondering why he had no black eyes in the ad, not realising at the time it would have been filmed well in advance.

One for Buttercup (think it was by Dairygold) circa 1986. Featured a song that was a variation of My Boy Lollypop changed to my spread Buttercup. Couple in kind of retro Grease type setting with garish bright pop art backgrounds. The girl was very cute.

Animated ad for Liga Rusks with the line "wheres my Liga!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

]Move Over Butter - surreal ad with a TV reporter doing a piece to camera with Vikings in the background.

Dime Bars - Arrrrrmadillos! Think it had Harry Enfield. "You're a bit weird, aren't you". I think this one is well remembered.

Mid 1990s for both.

Edit: And this beauty: OO-AR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKu4O3-IB0

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    ]Move Over Butter - surreal ad with a TV reporter doing a piece to camera with Vikings in the background.

Dime Bars - Arrrrrmadillos! Think it had Harry Enfield. "You're a bit weird, aren't you". I think this one is well remembered.

Mid 1990s for both.

Edit: And this beauty: OO-AR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKKu4O3-IB0

The butter one, I started a thread about that not long ago trying to find out what brand it was. At least now I know I know what it was called. Is/was Move Over Butter an Irish brand?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=113892143

Advertisement