Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2018, 19:38   #451
Buford T. Justice VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalabu View Post
Hi all,
Long time lurker (on the farming section, anyway), and first time poster. Work part time on the family farm milking cows at weekends, and have learned a lot from the occasional skinny dip into these forums (setup a calving camera last year when we expanded to 200 cows, without this forum would have had to pay ~€700 to one of those farm camera companies, only cost me €200 to do it myself in the end).

Trying to start an Agritech company at the moment, building sensors to (hopefully) save farmers' time, and was going to post a thread asking about farmers' electric fencing habits. I'm more of a farmer than a businessman though, and feel a bit, I dunno, cringy, when doing the market research. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to exploit the community for my own gain, which is how I feel when I conduct face-to-face interviews, so if anyone wants to tell me that it's not cool, I'll bid you all adieu, and return to the shadows.
Hi and welcome, arsenalabu, always good to have new posters joining.

Just on your point about surveying posters about fencing habits, we allow surveys on here once the posters have agreed with the mods what can be surveyed so feel free to PM any one of us about that, there shouldn't be a problem with most surveys. I'll add a link to the forum charter for anyone that may be thinking about posting similar.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/show...25&postcount=4

Like I said, just send a PM(click on our username and select 'send private message' from the dropdown menu, fire in a title on top and the message in the box below and send) beforehand so we know it's coming
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2018, 20:21   #452
arsenalabu

Thanks Sheriff Buford, I'll get onto you as soon as I get my questions organised so you can have a look.

I went looking for a rules page on the F&F index, but a pair of glasses may be in order - even knowing the thread title, it took me a way too long to spot it in the list.

Looking through the rules page, specifically the vet advice section, jogged an old memory of mine from some book about horses. I remember reading that in the olden days, racehorses would have their ankles soaked in iodine to harden the skin, or something - it's been a while. Has anyone ever heard of this procedure being applied to cows? I'm not looking to do it myself, but I remember wondering when I was younger if it was ever tried on cattle?

I hope it's obvious I'm not condoning any old-timey folky remedies when actual real medicine is available, but I do find them interesting in a "eat the heart of a newt, and sleep under the full moon to cure impotence" sort of way.
16-05-2018, 00:33   #453
Lady Haywire

Christ I was trying to figure your name out for ages there as I read it as arsin-about. Then I seen it as arse-na-labu. You'd know i wasn't a football fan
30-05-2018, 12:41   #454
KAMG

Hi all. First time poster but long time reader. And I had actually registered years ago but had forgotten. Only realized when I got an email saying my account was inactive for years and was gonna be deactivated. I'm a relatively young, recent entrant into farming and i'm sure ill have loads of questions for you guys. I always got loads of info here from just browsing so I look forward to plenty of interaction with ye all in the future.
30-10-2018, 10:18   #455
Keep Sluicing

Hi all.
Part time beef farmer. Returning after a hiatus
Advertisement
30-10-2018, 11:33   #456
Say my name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Sluicing View Post
Hi all.
Part time beef farmer. Returning after a hiatus
Save yourself. Run for the hills.

Welcome to the party.
30-11-2018, 22:10   #457
jrp7

Hi, first time post.
Working full time and help out on family dairy farm.
Looking to improve Breeding and Grass!
Regards
04-12-2018, 22:27   #458
270WIN

Lurking for years!! Part time beef farmer for my sins, Brilliant forum,,might ask a few questions now!!
04-12-2018, 22:31   #459
Reggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
Lurking for years!! Part time beef farmer for my sins, Brilliant forum,,might ask a few questions now!!
Don't be shy
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-05-2019, 13:47   #460
Donegal Hydro Harvesting

Power Farming

Hey all.
I am new to the whole farming thing.

So new, that I am going to be farming algae.
When ever I find a bit of land to rent up in north Inishowen peninsula.

Been on reading the form for awhile now.
Only setting this up after reading a post that I can give an answer too.

hopefully be able to help out once and a while.
07-05-2019, 17:48   #461
Lime Tree Farm

[QUOTE=Donegal Hydro Harvesting;110120249]Hey all.
I am new to the whole farming thing.

So new, that I am going to be farming algae.

Just before I read your post, I had been looking up ways to prevent algal growth in JFC and concrete cattle troughs. If only the grass grew at the same speed as the algae in the water troughs.

I remember reading of algae being researched for bio fuel in the cement industry, in Canada or the USA.
26-06-2019, 22:24   #462
Dunedin

Part time farmer here on 60 acres. All in one block and living on the farm which is a huge help. Keep circa 20 sucklers and finish all. Don’t buy in any. Early 40’s with 3 young boys so time is scarce probably just as well Offaly not doing that well as doesn’t take up much time following them!!
Long term viewer and poster and only noticed this thread this evening.
26-06-2019, 23:17   #463
Genghis Cant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunedin View Post
just as well Offaly not doing that well as doesn’t take up much time following them!!
Long term viewer and poster and only noticed this thread this evening.
Welcome along.

Steady on there now. You do realise that Offaly footballers have a masterplan. We stopped Kerry going for 5 in a row and we're planning on a repeat performance for the Dubs this year.
😀😀😀😀

Or I might be very very very wrong ! 😀😀😀
27-06-2019, 10:25   #464
Dunedin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genghis Cant View Post
Welcome along.

Steady on there now. You do realise that Offaly footballers have a masterplan. We stopped Kerry going for 5 in a row and we're planning on a repeat performance for the Dubs this year.
😀😀😀😀

Or I might be very very very wrong ! 😀😀😀
We’ll settle for a one point win Saturday evening
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size