Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fishing Lough Leane

• 11-05-2019 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I am from Kerry myself, and have experience with lake boats but on a small & sheltered enough lake. I am going to Killarney for a weekend and want to fish for trout on one of those days hopefully good weather for it. What is it like to fish and what is the best places to fish on it? Worried about rocks on the bottom but all I can do is look out I guess. Has anyone any tips on fishing this lake. Would like some information from a regular or someone local and anyone who knows anything about it. Who's the best place to hire a boat from?

Kind Regards,
    Olwas2014

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

What methods and what species?

I will say, if fly for trout, use a smaller fly than you usually would on a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

What methods and what species?

I will say, if fly for trout, use a smaller fly than you usually would on a lake.

Hi Max Nutty Tailspin,

I would be fly fishing, three flies. I fish with size 14s and 16s anyway. Would these be small enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    Hi Srameen,

I would be fly fishing, three flies. I fish with size 14s and 16s anyway. Would these be small enough?

They'd be fine Leane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

If you are not fixed on fishing the lake itself two other options would be fishing the river that connects the upper lakes ( the name escapes me completely now) but you get to it past muckross or getting a day permit for trout on the River Laune. Both would be capable of producing beautiful trout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Bump I'm heading down to Lough leane Friday hiring a boat in Ross castle it will be my first trip on the water bringing my light lure gear for perch and trout u any recommendations of best bay's to try and shorelines etc .
    Thanks in advance and feel free to private message me if you prefer .

• Advertisement
Advertisement