Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Discussing my application with SUSI helpdesk staff is stressing me out!

• 14-05-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I applied for the grant on the opening day of applications (25th April).
    At the time I was on a level 8 course and in receipt of BTEA. Now, my course is just finishing and I am still in receipt of BTEA. I got a letter back from SUSI yesterday that stated I have been awarded the full fees but not the maintenance grant and after a conversation on the phone and another email, it seems that they think because I am on BTEA now , I am somehow going to be on it for the following year which is not either true or even a possible option for me.

I have read the SUSI website upside down and inside out all year, both on my own accord and also because every time I contact SUSI they copy and paste from some section of the website and then recommend I also read the website.
    I am now very aware that I cannot be in receipt of the BTEA and a maintenance grant at the same time; but all I want them to do is tell me do I need to come off this years BTEA before reviewing my application or not?

In regards eligibility, to the best of my knowledge I qualify for the special rate non-adjacent maintenance grant; I live 187km from the course, they have assessed my household at €21,195, which is below the €24,000 limit and finally I have been in receipt of eligible payments (BTEA and JA) for not only the 391 days that they require but approximately 5 years. My course is also a progression (level 8 to level 9).

Honestly, they're very nice to talk to both on the phone and facebook messenger but I've been told to read the website every time and I have lost count of how many times I have read that website. Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? They open the applications too early if you ask me. Everyone is still in their current course and just because their situation does not make them eligible for the following year at the time does not mean they won't be at the end of the college year; as in my situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭keithkk16

I was on the BTEA for 2 years when i was doing my HNDiploma then as soon as I started my level 8 degree they were pretty much just like, yeah sorry you've been on btea for 2 years you can't get a grant and had to pay for everything myself. You should feel lucky that your getting your fees paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭matchboxyouth

keithkk16 wrote: »
    I was on the BTEA for 2 years when i was doing my HNDiploma then as soon as I started my level 8 degree they were pretty much just like, yeah sorry you've been on btea for 2 years you can't get a grant and had to pay for everything myself. You should feel lucky that your getting your fees paid.

What level is the HND Diploma and is that not something in the UK? There was definitely something wrong related to your circumstances so. First of all, you could have gotten BTEA for a level 8 as it is undergraduate level. I've just finished a level 8. There is no BTEA for postgraduate. My application is being reviewed and I believe the reason I'm having a problem is because I'm on BTEA right now is because I applied so early they can't award a grant to someone who is officially on BTEA, regardless if it is for next year or now (which it isn't, it expires the end of this month.)

Advertisement