Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerrygold "French trilogy" ads.

• 13-02-2018 8:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about this series of ads for Kerrygold butter and if they were supposed to form some kind of interconnected story. The first which was shown circa mid to late 80's had the Irish caileen saying to the French fisherman lad "put some butter on the spuds Andre" The next was about a decade later, the racehorse one with a a French woman and an Irish guy having some kind of vague flirtation and yer mans son (?) saying the line "who's taking the horse to France?". There was a third one maybe late 90's/early 00's and the only bit I can remember is a french male teacher walking into a girls class by mistake (I think?). Am I reading too much into them? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

My Ex. and I always thought there was something vaguely sexual about "put some butter on the spuds Andre" - it gave us a laugh anyway. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    My Ex. and I always thought there was something vaguely sexual about "put some butter on the spuds Andre" - it gave us a laugh anyway. :D

The first two had some great quotable lines, that one "Love zis in Ireland too?" "Who's taking the horse to France?" and the sour oul wan saying something about the dinner being ready in a minute while scowling at the French femme fatale. The final one with the male teacher obviously didn't have any memorable lines as I can't recall any of the dialogue and the featured characters seemed bland in comparision to in the first two ads.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Here's all three in the order they appeared.

I've a feeling the horse to France was a few years earlier than 1998 despite what it says there. Didn't the guy in it play either the doctor or the protestant minister in Glenroe?

The final one cuts off at the end. From what I remember what happens is the woman who is seen coming in the door looks around the room suspiciously as if shes looking for yer man and him and the hot teacher look at each other sheepishly. It is kind of crap all right , they even shoehorn in a healthy eating message.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

This clears things up a bit. The release timeline was 1986,1995 and 1999. Seems the storylines weren't linked they just decided to go with a French theme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/french-lessons-create-kerrygold-love-story-1.154265

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

This clears things up a bit. The release timeline was 1986,1995 and 1999. Seems the storylines weren't linked they just decided to go with a French theme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/french-lessons-create-kerrygold-love-story-1.154265

From the days when ads were designed to have a long shelf life and would run for a number of years. I don't think the last one lasted that long though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ah, le spuds!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

There was another one that had an Irish girl going to stay with a French family, presumably as an au-pair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Enda Oates on with Ray D'Arcy now talking about the Horse To France one. He played yer man in it and says his character was supposed to be a widower.

Advertisement