Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rowing, a potential change to the forum

• 17-09-2018 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just as an FYI, we are considering adding Rowing to this forum.

As a stand alone forum, I don't think Rowing would justify the potential traffic and looking around the Sports category, it would be best suited to migrate and incorporate Rowing into the forum name.

Given the popularity and success of rowing in this country it should be under more spotlight for the upcoming Tokyo 2020 games where theres a strong possibility for medals in Rowing.

This is a thread to discuss any pros or cons in adding Rowing into the current structure of Canoeing & Kayaking, as such, nothing is decided right now.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

hi folks,

Canoeists and kayakers might balk at the idea of this forum being shared with rowing, but the moderators are reluctant to begin a dedicated rowing forum, so it was suggested I raise the issue here to discuss.

Obviously, rowing is a very different sport. Canoeists, kayakers and rowers all know this, but to the uninitiated they appear to be similar. As another water sport, perhaps this is the most appropriate of the existing forums to put rowing into.

The popularity of rowing is on a steep upward trajectory with the O'Donovan brothers silver medal success in the Rio Olympics in 2016, and of course the two gold medals and strong performances by most Irish crews at last weekend's world championships in Bulgaria. Beneath this level there are multiple success stories at U-23 and world junior level and of course the domestic calendar is more vibrant than ever. Competitive, masters and recreational rowing numbers are increasing very fast too. In short, rowing in Ireland has never been in a healthier state. It is possibly Ireland's strongest contender for medal success, of all sports, in the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

So, what do you think? Should rowing be included in this forum.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've just merged these threads, thanks for the input.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Is there much demand for a rowing forum as opposed to using the general watersports?

Id imagine there would be sufficient demand that if this forum was to adopt "Rowing in its title, that it would gain some traffic.

For the Olympics I'd imagine the Athletics forum will do a good job of covering pretty much everything from track, field and water sports but for everything in between then and now, it would make sense to at least acknowledge it in a forum so anybody searching on Boards can find a home for it, IMO.

It's kinda mad that there isn't a discussion somewhere on Boards about the two gold medals in the World Championships at the weekend, when you consider that it's a premier Olympic sport with large participation numbers and Ireland are punching well about their weight in it. I was prepared to do no work whatsoever today and join the discussion but I found it doesn't actually exist!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

ec18 wrote: »
    Is there much demand for a rowing forum as opposed to using the general watersports?
    We don't have a "General Watersports" forum. We have a General Sports forum where this topic was initially raised

In my view it would be a good idea to incorporate rowing - maybe call it the "Paddlin' Forum":pac:

I think in the run-up to the next Olympics, based on recent Irish results in this "field", there may well be more "volume" in the forum filled by rowers or people interested in discussing the exploits of Ireland's rowers. It could give this forum a much needed fillip and increase traffic all round.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

zulutango wrote: »
    I was prepared to do no work whatsoever today and join the discussion but I found it doesn't actually exist!
    I think that leaves you 2 options - either get back to work, or continue discussing the "theory" behind an all-inclusive forum:D

Beasty wrote: »
    In my view it would be a good idea to incorporate rowing - maybe call it the "Paddlin' Forum":pac:

I think in the run-up to the next Olympics, based on recent Irish results in this "field", there may well be more "volume" in the forum filled by rowers or people interested in discussing the exploits of Ireland's rowers. It could give this forum a much needed fillip and increase traffic all round.

That sounds like a decision!! :D

zulutango wrote: »
    That sounds like a decision!! :D
    I would like to gauge interest first and hopefully this thread will help on that front. I then need to run it past the other Admins before any final decision can be made

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Beasty wrote:
    In my view it would be a good idea to incorporate rowing - maybe call it the "Paddlin' Forum"

But rowers are bores with oars and so backwards ðŸ˜.

Bar a slight similarity to k1 racing, rowing is as close to kayaking as soccer is to rugby.

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    But rowers are bores with oars and so backwards ðŸ˜.

Bar a slight similarity to k1 racing, rowing is as close to kayaking as soccer is to rugby.
    My concern is 2 separate forums may be unsustainable. I am hoping to get more critical mass in a combined forum, as TBH the amount of traffic we see in some of the sports forums, including this one, begs a question over whether they should be folded into the General Sports forum

Now if either topic could garner even 10% of the traffic of either Rugby or Soccer a separate forum would certainly be warranted. At present though rowers have nothing beyond "General Sports", despite being, arguably, a topic worthy of as much or more discussion than Canoeing & Kayacking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Beasty wrote: »
    My concern is 2 separate forums may be unsustainable. I am hoping to get more critical mass in a combined forum, as TBH the amount of traffic we see in some of the sports forums, including this one, begs a question over whether they should be folded into the General Sports forum

Now if either topic could garner even 10% of the traffic of either Rugby or Soccer a separate forum would certainly be warranted. At present though rowers have nothing beyond "General Sports", despite being, arguably, a topic worthy of as much or more discussion than Canoeing & Kayacking

Sure feck it why not, rowers are people too.

We share the water we can share a forum.

Appreciate lot of paddlers myself included don't like the common mix up and this will hardly help, but as above they hardly generate enough discussion to merit their own separate forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

Would it be better then to create a general watersports forum and sub forum ones like kayaking/boating/rowing?

I'll open the floor to Beasty on that one but I dont think there would be enough interest in a separate Water sport forum and then having 3 sub forums off it you like suggested.

The only way a General Water Sports forum could work is if everything was combined and if that happened, I think you'd create a monster of a forum with a lot of sub forums, as the current setups are, they've all got varying levels of activity and traffic, IMO, Rowing would better suit this forum but it could go into Sailing & Boating also.

Angling : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62

Canoeing & Kayaking : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1319

Sailing & Boating : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=393

Scuba Diving : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=344

Surfing : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=835

Swimming : https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=973

I would say that rowing is closer to kayaking than to sailing given that it generally takes place on rivers in Ireland. That said, it is nothing at all like kayaking :pac:

Bumping this. Is there a consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Where would paddle boarding fit in?

Advertisement