Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NUI Galway doubts of a Spanish graduate

Options
  • 29-06-2019 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello guys! I am a Spanish graduate and I will start my PhD studies there in NUIG in October 2019. I have so many questions about the accommodation; for example, which neighbourhood would be the cheapest and yet relatively close to the University? do you think I should go in late September and stay in a guesthouse while trying to look for accommodation or go before September to do so?

If you have some advice/warnings about the accommodation, the city (Galway), the University, etc, please let me know

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Housing in all cities in Ireland is expensive.

Rents have jumped maybe 30% during the last five years or so.

There are shortages of all types of housing in cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,066 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Five or so years ago, a 3-bed duplex was 900 pm on Sandy road.

Now, a 2- bed apt can be 1200 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Newcastle would be closest but there's a serious lack of accommodation in Galway so take anything. Students have spent the academic year in hostels or driving from surrounding towns as it's so bad. If you could arrange a place now as apposed to Sept when all the students will be back, you might be better off, but obviously watch for scams.

There was a Facebook page called rent share in Galway for sound people. Not sure if it's still running but it was better than daft.ie years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Congratulations on being accepted onto the PhD programme. Definitely start to look for accommodation now. 18 year olds find out which university they have been accepted into during the middle of August so it would be best to get a room sorted before the big rush in August. Galway is a lovely place to live but there is a shortage of affordable accommodation.
    Newcastle is the nearest area to the university and a nice area to live in but Shantalla, Westside and some parts of Salthill are all walking distance to campus. Knocknacarra has good bus links to campus too although slightly further away (around 3 miles and just about walkable).
    The students union have an accommodation office and the Galway advertiser newspaper lists rooms also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vickynititi

Hello guys! Many thanks for your advice, and I will listen to you and will look for accommodation as soon as I can!

• Advertisement
Advertisement